Bendigo

starlight7

I have just returned from a few days up in Bendigo.  What a lovely city it is- heaps to do and lots of good eateries and shops.  If I were migrating now I would seriously look at it as a place to live.  No traffic problems ( they think there is but there definitely isn't!), clean air, cheap houses, good climate - what more could anyone want?

44 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

clean air, cheap houses, good climate - what more could anyone want?

Not getting glassed outside the RSL? Just kidding. I haven’t been to Bendigo, but I’ve been to Ballarat and it didn’t look like a happy place. But I suppose all gold rush towns aren’t alike.

6 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I don't like Ballarat personally but I know many who do.  I think it's pretty rough there but that is only going on a visit a couple of years ago. Probably much better now.

It's a city of two halves I think - those whol live  around Lake Wendouree and those who live in Wendouree - but yes, I'd be inclined to think it's getting rougher and my Ballarat born husband says he thinks it's rather sad the way it's going - a far cry from the wealth and culture it used to display back in his day. We quite liked Bendigo and one brother in law lives there but neither would really float my boat for long term living. The proprietor of one of the very good second hand book shops in Bendigo says he lives there because he had easy access to all things cricket which is his passion but his observation was that it was going downhill a bit at the moment. I wasnt actually impressed by the eateries in Bendigo on our last visit and think Ballarat probably has the edge there.

• Like 1

I have just returned from a few days up in Bendigo.  What a lovely city it is- heaps to do and lots of good eateries and shops.  If I were migrating now I would seriously look at it as a place to live.  No traffic problems ( they think there is but there definitely isn't!), clean air, cheap houses, good climate - what more could anyone want?

Bendigo is one place we are considering for emigrating, as is Geelong. Nice to have some recent opinions!