Moving to Melbourne - but where?

HannahS15

Hi

My husband has been offered a job in Melbourne - working out of the CBD and we are considering the move for early next year.

I know you can’t really decide where to live until you have seen the areas, however I was wondering if anyone had any areas they would recommend to live in that would be suitable for a young family.

I would be moving out with my husband and my 2 year old daughter and would need to be somewhere with easy access to the CBD for work. We would be looking at renting a house or apartment around $700 - $900 per week in an area that would ideally –

• Be safe -  to walk around on my own and park a car overnight
  • Easy access to the CBD by public transport
  • Good area for kids
  • Close to restaurants, cafes and shops

We have lived in Fremantle in Perth for 4 years prior to returning to the UK for 4 years (ping pong pom) and would like to live somewhere with a similar feel to it. We have visited Melbourne on holiday but didn’t take any interest in the suburbs to remember which ones we liked.

Any recommendations or opinions on areas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hannah

One of the great things about Melbourne (unlike Sydney) is that its suburbs still have their own high streets, with restaurants, cafés and shops. So you'll have a lot to choose from. 

The tram network in Melbourne is excellent and the train isn't bad either.  If you can stay within Zone 1 of the tram network then you get the best of both worlds.

I really don't know where to start with recommendations as there are so many options, especially as you have a good budget.

Edited by Marisawright

whats your max (preferred) commute time?

Work that out and then follow the train lines out - that give you an indicator as to viable surburbs

Then you can filter on; proximity to beach(?), trees(?), large shopping centres(?), any other important factors(?)

• Like 1

Check out the frankston train line suburbs - Frankston itself is under an hour on the the express to flinders street. Express trains run about every 10 minutes.

That'll give you beach suburbs within your commute time. Start there and work towards the city with realestate.com.au to find houses in your budget. That should give you some targets

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on what you are after really, do you want the beach, city or country side? i would choose a suburb that you easily walk to the tram or train. I live by the beach on the Frankston line which takes around  45 mins to an hour to get to finders street and is right on the beach, cafes, supermarkets, massive safe park ect you should easily afford a decent rental home in your budget.  Example of what you can get in my suburb for you budget, you could probably afford to move a little closer to the city.

https://www.domain.com.au/2-46-argyle-avenue-chelsea-vic-3196-12692410

• 2 weeks later...

The Mornington Peninsula is a stunning place to live and meets all your requirements. Mt Martha and Mt Eliza are likely the best options for you. The area is also set to become easier for commuters into the city with the new Mordialloc Freeway, Dingley Bypass and extension of the Frankston train line to Baxter. Otherwise, it is worth considering other bayside suburbs in the south-east and even Williamstown in the west. The leafy eastern inner ring suburbs are also very nice however may be a lot pricier. The Mornington Peninsula also has the highest proportion of Poms living in the area in all of Melbourne.

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 7.23.34 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 7.27.54 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 1.59.42 am.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 1.57.54 am.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 1.56.25 am.png

Edited by bayside