Any other singles moved to Australia?

Carrie

Hi All, 

First time poster here. I'm a Kiwi who's been living in London for the last 12 years. Have enjoyed my time here, but feeling the pull to get back down under to be closer to family, enjoy warmer weather, the beach and just generally to have a new adventure - in Sydney. My contract at work finishes on 2 Nov, and I plan on moving in mid/late Jan after Christmas. The time has come for me to start putting the plan in motion - selling a few things, getting my house ready to become tenanted etc. I am a single lady (41) and very nervous about doing this on my own. I have a brother and his family, and 1 friend in Sydney and plan on getting into the salsa scene to meet people and continue my dancing.  Will also join a global expat network, Internations.

Have any other singles made the move? Seems like everyone on here is married with kids. How long does it take to make a few friends, get a job and generally start to settle in?

Thanks, 

Carrie

Good luck with the move. You'll be fine, especially because you've got your dancing as a way into the social scene. There's plenty of salsa around Sydney and it's a beautiful city.

The only snag with Sydney is that housing (whether renting or buying) is so expensive.  It's like London, the cost is head and shoulders beyond anything you'll pay in the rest of the country. However, coming from London, you'll be used to that!  

Do make sure you look into the tax implications of renting out your house. I know it's tempting to keep a London place because it would be a good investment, but once you're a non-resident, it can cost you in tax.  There is a double taxation agreement between the UK and Australia so you won't be taxed twice, but you will have to submit a tax return in both countries for as long as you keep it.  Also check out the capital gains implications in both countries when you eventually sell - getting that wrong can cost you thousands.

The best thing is to find a tax agent who knows the tax regime in both countries, who can run through the scenarios for you before you go.  It would be awful to leave it till you've left the country, then find it's going to cost you a fortune in tax because you're no longer a UK resident!  

Thanks for your reply Marisa, and in particular for flagging to capital gains tax. I wasn't aware of this - will speak to my accountant asap. Disappointing to think I might now have to sell before I can move to Oz. 28% is a huge chunk. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Carrie. Think of being single more like an advantage. Its far more easy to be responsible only for yourself and not being constantly worried about your dependents. You're young and on the brink of a world of possibilities if you ask me. And just like Marisa told you, you have your dancing easing your way into the social life.

Chin up, compared to folks 50-100 years ago, we have it good!