Orange, NSW

klr81

On 22/01/2022 at 07:44, Blue Flu said:

Orange freezing winters but far worse in my opinion is the problem with drugs. Hardly alone in this respect among smaller cities in Australia, but something to keep in mind for those with any interest with the state of play in too much of Australia over recent times. 

To CalNgary. I thought you were a nurse.?  If wrong that will perhaps go part of the way in explaining why you found the above post homourless. I doubt if too many working on the front line in any medical situation would find the impact of those inflicted by methamphetamines to be in any way a laughing matter. 

It's impact on society is severe and as I have mentioned it all around me in its manufacture. The main reason I want to move out of the inner city to a more 'normal'  living environment. My contacts tell me it is everywhere, perhaps not as extreme as present but has become mainstream. 

14 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Yes quite correct. Scotland does not to any extent have a meth problem, though from my understanding. Nor does UK in general. I hope those Back packers engaging in it don't take their acquired ' skill set' back in the home country. 

It’s a tough market for meth to break into with all the heroin, methadone, cocaine, mdma, ketamine, benzodiazepines, gabapentin, cannabis etc etc etc. 

I really do worry that you’ll return to the UK one day and find the issues you were escaping are as bad (if not worse) when you get there. Perhaps not the same substances being manufactured and used, but the same impact on society. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

It’s a tough market for meth to break into with all the heroin, methadone, cocaine, mdma, ketamine, benzodiazepines, gabapentin, cannabis etc etc etc. 

I really do worry that you’ll return to the UK one day and find the issues you were escaping are as bad (if not worse) when you get there. Perhaps not the same substances being manufactured and used, but the same impact on society. 

Cannabis, cocaine (which is as cheap as chips here), spice and laughing gas seem to be most prevalent here in my experience. I had more than average exposure to this when health visiting but have seen a couple of people off their faces on spice in Chester and there’s a little band of pot heads go past my place to have a smoke in the trees behind where I live. Police are aware but as they don’t cause any issues they leave them be as don’t want to shift the problem up into the town. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Ice is almost unheard of here, compared to its prevalence in Australia. The police used to close roads off in my suburb every now and then whilst they raided some properties. Never saw or was affected by whatever they were doing as the properties were acreages so well away from each other.

I don’t think I am any more or less affected by drugs here as there. Experiences will vary depending where you are in either country I suppose. Scourge of modern living wherever you are but I just don’t go looking for problems, like most normal people I would imagine.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Unlikely to be worse than experiencing now. So little need to worry on that front. Please no need to be patronizing. I'm not talking users but makers as I continue to explain. Methamphetamine is out of control in Australia and sadly has allowed to become mainstream. I'm not sure why anyone would chose to play down the significance this drug creates havoc in society.  Not just in users but the ease of making which attracts a diverse mixture of participants. Very many professionals , many Uni students  , those with babies young children , where I suppose it gives an added air of respectability.  I have lived around drug issues in UK for many years and this is very different. Hence the impact is very different. A doubt your average greed enticed participant would be making heroin or cocaine.  We are a world leader in Perth along with Adelaide of the use of meth (ice) and I live in a location where it is visibly present most anytime when know what to look for.  

6 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Cannabis, cocaine (which is as cheap as chips here), spice and laughing gas seem to be most prevalent here in my experience. I had more than average exposure to this when health visiting but have seen a couple of people off their faces on spice in Chester and there’s a little band of pot heads go past my place to have a smoke in the trees behind where I live. Police are aware but as they don’t cause any issues they leave them be as don’t want to shift the problem up into the town. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Ice is almost unheard of here, compared to its prevalence in Australia. The police used to close roads off in my suburb every now and then whilst they raided some properties. Never saw or was affected by whatever they were doing as the properties were acreages so well away from each other.

I don’t think I am any more or less affected by drugs here as there. Experiences will vary depending where you are in either country I suppose. Scourge of modern living wherever you are but I just don’t go looking for problems, like most normal people I would imagine.

There's been a few UK/Irish back packing types renting in my area jumping aboard the meth making band wagon. I have they don't / didn't take their new found baking skills back with them. You are correct it is everywhere in Australia. The town I lived in on the South Coast of WA has staged protest marches consisting of several hundred people over the past couple of years attempting to bring attention to the meth crisis in that town/city. 

I sadly see a lot of number plates from that town in my inner city location plying the meth trade. I'm sure other drugs as well but meth with its ease being the stand out one. Other country plates very prominent as well. There are a number of hot spots down south where major problems persist. 

The big problem is it is very well managed shall we say and has increased rapidly in the area in a fairly short period of time. I'd say in general those engaged are in appearance present well. I won't say too much but it is the reason I want out of the inner city. The difficulty is finding a suitable location where it's not happening. I have spoken to real estate agents who say it's everywhere and people in the know who say the same thing. 

It is not purely the  meth drug usage causing the problem (unlike UK probably) but the things around it that distorts society well being and smooth running.  

Edited by Blue Flu

15 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

To CalNgary. I thought you were a nurse.?  If wrong that will perhaps go part of the way in explaining why you found the above post homourless. I doubt if too many working on the front line in any medical situation would find the impact of those inflicted by methamphetamines to be in any way a laughing matter. 

It's impact on society is severe and as I have mentioned it all around me in its manufacture. The main reason I want to move out of the inner city to a more 'normal'  living environment. My contacts tell me it is everywhere, perhaps not as extreme as present but has become mainstream. 

I giggle because you refer to drugs in 90% of your posts like its the worst place on earth. I giggled because when / if you do go back to the UK you will likely get a massive reality check where drugs are concerned and then you will understand why i giggled at your post.

I totally agree about the front line. Do you watch Ambulance, A & E after dark, the Interceptors, any UK shows like that? If not i think you need too as it will show just how bad the problem is and has been for years in many, many areas across the UK.

oh and no im not a nurse.

Cal x

• Like 2

On 21/09/2018 at 09:05, klr81 said:

Hello all,

We might have the opportunity to move to Orange and I'm trying to find out the realities of living that far out from Sydney. We are not a city family, we like a weekend there occasionally but we are really looking for outdoor lifestyle, beautiful walks, access to good food - and seasons for my husband?

It looks to me like Orange has enough facilities and services to make it not a problem to b 4 hours out from Sydney, but looking to hear from those who live/ have lived there. We are currently weighing up a few areas in NSW and VIC.

Cheers!

Jx

Apologies for your post being taken so far off track.

Cal x

18 minutes ago, calNgary said:

I giggle because you refer to drugs in 90% of your posts like its the worst place on earth. I giggled because when / if you do go back to the UK you will likely get a massive reality check where drugs are concerned and then you will understand why i giggled at your post.

I totally agree about the front line. Do you watch Ambulance, A & E after dark, the Interceptors, any UK shows like that? If not i think you need too as it will show just how bad the problem is and has been for years in many, many areas across the UK.

oh and no im not a nurse.

Cal x

90%?. All I can say to must have a very selective choice of my postings. I will not be in for a massive reality check if indeed I went back to UK. The reality check was Perth and the behind the scenes going on under the cloak of respectability. 

No I don't watch any of those shows you mention. But I know fully well the impact of meth (ice) within an A & E  setting and the violence created by it. Your not a nurse, my mistake, so you won't likely have witnessed the impact of this awful drug. It's called the Poor Man's Cocaine in America  because of its cheapness and availability for its poorest citizens. Not to different in Australia. The well heeled or at least advantaged make profit from it while the poor succumb to it.  Very prominent among indigenous communities. In fact that sector within society is very prominent in protesting against the harm it is causing in the South Coast WA city I once lived. 

BeachBabe2022 I lived in Bathurst and worked in Orange for nearly 2 years, just moved back to Melbourne at the end of 2021.

Everyone I worked with in Orange loved it there and never wanted to leave, it is a nice community and for a small town there is a lot to do lots of nice cafes, bars and festivals. (When no Covid lockdowns!)

I would say there are no more issues with drugs than in any other town, and having worked at the health service I should know. If you like small town country living then it's a good choice. If you work in health there are a lot of job opportunities in the Western NSW region, also mining and some education jobs.  

Personally for me I hated being so far from the coast, very little breeze during the summer, so many flies, although we were there during one of the hottest summers 2019/2020.  I didn't find the winters too bad, it does get down to minus temperatures over night but usually warmed up during the day. Just make sure your house has heating! After a while I found the distance to any larger town with more things to do annoying, driving to Sydney for weekends seems like a good idea initially but I found we went a lot less than we thought we would. 

Also it made me realise that I am a city person, which is why we have now moved back to Melbourne and won't be moving again! 

• Like 2