Help!! Schools advice urgently required!

sandramcd

Hi there, we're moving to Newcastle in the new year and will need to enroll 4 of our kids in schools we have never visited and only seen online. Where we decide to live is obviously dependant on the schools so we're in a fairly scary situation!! Currently looking at Lambton, Kotara, Warners bay and Maryland. Google Earth is great but can only go so far, other resource has been Domain.com.au. Any advice/ recommendations etc very gratefully recieved!

Sandra :wacko:

Sorry, cant help you with schools in Newcastle but in very general terms, the schools reflect the socio economic area in which they are situated. So, if you wouldnt want to live in a house in woop woop because of the neighbourhood then chances are you wouldnt want to send your kid to school there either. At the end of the day, it is the house you have to live in for 24/7 and whilst people could direct you to different suburbs and you may set your heart on them you may find that you dont like the houses or you cant afford to live in them.

Schools are pretty much of a muchness really, they do reflect the kids who live in the area and also the personality of the principal - and that can change (and it does!!!).

They dont "do" league tables here, it's a very egalitarian society so you should be fine with wherever you decide you can afford a home and want to live in the environment.

Oh yes, and http://www.realestate.com.au

I wouldnt be worrying too much before you get here, take your time to have a look at the houses in your financial and taste brackets and then do a bit of over the back fence chat and you will be fine.

Guest mandy1

Hi

I would first of all say 'don't panic'! Just get here and have a look around and then decide, its so hard to judge some place or school without having been there first. It won't hurt if you're kids are out of school for a few weeks when they first get here. Better that than placing them somewhere then having to move them again 'cause you find its not suitable.

Mandy x

Thanks for the advice, made the mistake of looking at realestate.com.au without putting in an upper amount - nearly cried at all the houses we'll never afford!! As for time off school, didn't want them to miss too much at the start of the year, but more importantly I might have killed them all after another 6 week plus holiday! :arghh:

Thanks again,

Sandra

All my family are well hubbys are in Newcastle and i have done a fair bit of research too. Are you looking at state private or church schools?

Hi Moo Family!

At the moment I'm just focussing on primary schools as that's where most of them will be for the first few years we're in Oz, so I've just looked at the public schools so far. From what I've managed to find out from further research today, there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of difference unlike here. My oldest will start high school in 2 and 1/2 years so I've been told by friends near Sydney that New Lambton High School has a fantastic academic record. Maybe that's the place to start... How about you?

Sandra

Thanks for the advice, made the mistake of looking at realestate.com.au without putting in an upper amount - nearly cried at all the houses we'll never afford!! As for time off school, didn't want them to miss too much at the start of the year, but more importantly I might have killed them all after another 6 week plus holiday! :arghh:

Thanks again,

Sandra

LOL dont panic - usual school start time is about 1 February, as long as they are enrolled by census (usually around 14 Feb) you - and they - will be fine! However, if you can spot the suburbs with the houses you cant afford, that is a pretty good indicator of where you would like to be so see if there are places in those suburbs at a price you CAN afford!

Hi Moo Family!

At the moment I'm just focussing on primary schools as that's where most of them will be for the first few years we're in Oz, so I've just looked at the public schools so far. From what I've managed to find out from further research today, there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of difference unlike here. My oldest will start high school in 2 and 1/2 years so I've been told by friends near Sydney that New Lambton High School has a fantastic academic record. Maybe that's the place to start... How about you?

Sandra

Well after extensive investigation into areas and schools we are concentrating on Kotara Hamilton and adamstown. All the schools at primary age seem to be of the same standard. What primary school your kids go to seems to depend on your adress. As my eldest child is on the gifted and talented register in the uk we hope he will be able to go to high school in merewether when the time comes as entry to there is test based. Other than that New lambton or kotara high. Mine are currently in year 4 year 1 and reception. Just been for my passport interview today so they said 2-5 days I should get pasports then I can send in my visa application So all on track for April:jiggy:

Hi CJ, thanks for the unfo! Looks like our biggest boys will be in the same year at school, Archie is 9 too, although in Scotland he has just finished p5 and will have 2 terms of p6 before we leave. From what I have worked out, he will start in feb in year 5 again, with my next 2 boys in years 6 and 2 and my daughter starting kindergarten. Am intrigued by the Opportunity classes - these sound like the answer for A as he'll be a bit ahead and is a bright boy. I don't want him getting bored. Prob is that they need to be tested by July 31st this year for starting in Feb. I'm away to check out this school in Merewether now!

Sandra

Yes the oppurtunity classes sound fab and seems most schools provide them. I am most jealous that you get there before me lol. You will have to keep me posted on things out there and how you find the schools

Guest Alex & Kris

Hi

Try looking on www.det.nsw.edu.au we have used this address just chaning nsw for wa & found its lists all the schools may be of some help. i did find another site but of hand can't remember the address will add if find.

Kris x

Hi again, just wanted to say Thanks for all the advice - this is the first evening where I've not felt obliged to trawl the internet for any shred of info on schools! I now feel very calm and can go on my hols tomorrow with no worries! Will still need to shout at my husband until he gives in and fills in his forms though!!! Men - honestly!

Sandra

Archived