Switching from 190 visa to Citizenship

Danny9847

Hi there,

I have lived in Australia since April 2013, and obtained subclass 190 visa (SA) on 24th November, 2017. I have not left Australia for longer than 5 months in the previous 4 years.

Am I correct to think that I can apply for citizenship from September? An acquaintance has told me that I am able to apply 10 months post achieving the PR (deducting the 2 months allowance of leaving the country meanwhile). The official eligibility calculator on the immigration website told me otherwise though.

- To add, I was not able to find a legitimate employment in SA yet, would that affect my application for the citizenship? I do have fair sum of money saved up in my bank account though. 

Thank you in advance. 

30 minutes ago, LouDYorkie said:

As far as I’m aware the residency requirement is still 4 years including a minimum of 12 months of permanent residency.

There are rules about being out of the country but the website tells you all of this to help you work it out.

Cheers, buddy. 

Any idea regarding my unemployed status affecting the process?

19 hours ago, Danny9847 said:

An acquaintance has told me that I am able to apply 10 months post achieving the PR (deducting the 2 months allowance of leaving the country meanwhile). The official eligibility calculator on the immigration website told me otherwise though.

I'm not sure where your acquaintance got that idea, but no you cannot apply before having a PR visa a full 12 months.