Buying my first car in Australia, advise?

SUPERSTARDJ01

Hi all,

So in 3-4 weeks time I will be buying my Australian car, in the UK it's easy to avoid dodgy cars, with history checks, free mot history checks, aa/rac inspection etc

I know in Australia you should always seek a seller willing to get a road Worthy certificate but how can I confirm the mileage? Are there companies that will do an independent inspection like the aa/rac? What are my rights if I buy a lemon? And what do I need to do when I've bought said car? Here we obviously tax and insure it then drive off, in Australia I would insure it but is rego transferable?

Any other tips to help me not fall in to a pit would much appreciated.

Cheers

8 hours ago, SUPERSTARDJ01 said:

Hi all,

So in 3-4 weeks time I will be buying my Australian car, in the UK it's easy to avoid dodgy cars, with history checks, free mot history checks, aa/rac inspection etc

I know in Australia you should always seek a seller willing to get a road Worthy certificate but how can I confirm the mileage? Are there companies that will do an independent inspection like the aa/rac? What are my rights if I buy a lemon? And what do I need to do when I've bought said car? Here we obviously tax and insure it then drive off, in Australia I would insure it but is rego transferable?

Any other tips to help me not fall in to a pit would much appreciated.

Cheers

RACQ do buyer inspections if you are not sure what to look for or know no one who does. You may also find a REVS check useful.

Rego is transferable, person to person you will have to pay a % of the purchase price to register the vehicle in your name. 

Insurance is up to you, Rego carries a minimal 3rd party insurance so your covered to drive but it doesn't cover all costs if you have an accident, so lots of people get extra insurance , our main vehicle is covered fully comp with RACQ.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SUPERSTARDJ01 said:
3 hours ago, Bulya said:
Location??

Qld

Not the best state/territory for used cars.  We used to get a lot fly in to collect cars from the ACT which has the beet used cars in the country (no rust, best roads, toughest rego, turned over more often).

3 hours ago, Bulya said:

Not the best state/territory for used cars.  We used to get a lot fly in to collect cars from the ACT which has the beet used cars in the country (no rust, best roads, toughest rego, turned over more often).

so what do people do when they buy out of state? drive it back or get it shipped? if say I bought a car from NSW would I have to re-register in QLD paying for a full year even if it has a year on it in NSW?

think you can get some rego refunded, but yes it will need registering in new state not sure how long you have to do this.  The websites re car ownership are pretty good for info and you can call them to check if unsure, generally gov departments are good to speak to here.  Each state can vary though so make sure you are on the official site for QLD.

We bought a new car from a dealer in SA from the UK.  I managed to play off a couple of dealerships and get a really good price and a car ready to collect on arrival, not sure I would try the same for a used car though.

9 hours ago, SUPERSTARDJ01 said:

so what do people do when they buy out of state? drive it back or get it shipped? if say I bought a car from NSW would I have to re-register in QLD paying for a full year even if it has a year on it in NSW?

Collect and drive home.  The dealers can organise a permit or rego