Partner visa from UK

Mullsey01

Hello,

I hope i maybe able to get some advice.

I am an australian citizen and on a trip to the uk 6 months ago met a woman.  We have met a few times in europe and singapore and we want to make things permanent.  I understand that a partner visa needs to be lodged while outside of AU and that my partner needs to be outside of AU when the visa is granted and this process can take up to 24 months.  I am trying to find out what our options are in the interim.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

That's a tough one.  To qualify for a partner visa, you must have been in a relationship equivalent to marriage for at least 12 months. 

Right now it sounds like you're just dating, so you wouldn't qualify for a partner visa.  Either you'll need to keep on visiting each other on tourist visas, OR she needs to investigate whether she can get a skilled or sponsored visa in her own right.  

Alternatively, if she's under 30, she could apply for a WHV (working holiday visa) which would allow her to come to Australia for a year.

Hi Thanks for the reply.

So could my partner enter using a subclass 600 tourist visa for 12 months, then go back to the UK for 1 month, could she then return for another 12 months.  I know she would not be able to work during this period.

Would this work?

Thanks again

I think your best bet is to get a migration agent (there are some good ones on these forums, like @wrussell or @Raul Senise.  Obviously you're not ready to apply for a visa yet, but they'll be able to help you develop a strategy that will enable you to get one in future.  You don't want to do anything now that would spoil your chances later, or alternatively fail to do something now that would strengthen your case later.

If this relationship is important to you then it's worth investing some money in.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mullsey01 said:

Hello,

I hope i maybe able to get some advice.

I am an australian citizen and on a trip to the uk 6 months ago met a woman.  We have met a few times in europe and singapore and we want to make things permanent.  I understand that a partner visa needs to be lodged while outside of AU and that my partner needs to be outside of AU when the visa is granted and this process can take up to 24 months.  I am trying to find out what our options are in the interim.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you are actually planning to marry she could apply offshore for a Prospective Marriage Visa