173 to 143 timeline and costs help

Uk2oz

Hi I am struggling to understand the process and costs of the 173 to 143 visa. There is myself,my partner and our young son 9years old. We meet all BOF tests etc. 

Could someone please help with what is paid and when. From what I understand it's first instalment when applying for 173, when would I pay for 2nd instalment? Or is it not paid until we apply for the 143 at the end of the 2 years? I am so confused

If you apply for a 173 visa, you have the 1st vac payment to make at the time of submitting your application. You then have the loftier 2nd vac to pay when your application is processed and just before your visa is granted.

If you then decided to go for the 143 visa, you basically repeat the process with additional 1st and 2nd vac payments.

There is now a lengthy queue for both visas and it is better to go directly for the 143 visa to avoid future price increases.

54 minutes ago, Uk2oz said:

Hi many thanks for you reply. That does make sense.  So that would be in total around 90.000aud or 50.000gbp for 2 adults and 1 child.  

Don't forget to add in the cost of the assurance of support when you swap to the 143 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uk2oz said:

Hi many thanks for you reply. That does make sense.  So that would be in total around 90.000aud or 50.000gbp for 2 adults and 1 child.  

Yes, that's about right and it's important to go directly for a 143 visa and lock in the current price. Also get your application in asap as the queue is growing very quickly (now about 6/7 years). 

2 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Do bare in mind if you apply now your son is likely to be at crucial part in his education. Queue times for new applicants will be about 5/6 years 

Very good point, but the parent visa waiting times are so unpredictable I would not try and plan anything and just take it as it comes. Unfortunately you may find processing times getting considerably longer (10 years plus) so I would get that application in today.  

• Like 2

Wow that long! It's crazy not knowing exact times as we would need to know when to sell our house to pay the 2nd vac.

We are visiting australia again in November for 3 weeks visiting our daughters and grandchildren so we will have a good chat about it then. Forgot to mention 1 daughter has permanent residency and the other daughter although living in australia on and off for 5 years and has an Australian partner and 2 children with him hasn't had her visa granted yet although should be through soon. We can't do anything until both are permanent residents. On the plus side at least we have had some glorious Aussie weather here in the UK!

I have been on the home affairs website and it states that current processing times are between 49 to 55 months. Would it be safe to put in the application as soon as my daughter has her visa visa through and put the house on the market in about 3 to 4 years or is there a chance it could get processed a lot sooner? In which case I wouldn't have the money

Edited by Uk2oz

18 hours ago, Uk2oz said:

I have been on the home affairs website and it states that current processing times are between 49 to 55 months. Would it be safe to put in the application as soon as my daughter has her visa visa through and put the house on the market in about 3 to 4 years or is there a chance it could get processed a lot sooner? In which case I wouldn't have the money

Unfortunately there is little prospect of getting your visas sooner, due to the 'cap' or the total number of people allowed to have a CPV each year. This cap is now set at 7175, but last year they were about 900 places short. And they have now decided the cap is not a cap, just a guide. The government could raise the cap at budget time, but they won't because they have worked out that parent immigrants are very expensive for Australia. And they are now more likely to reduce the cap or increase the cost of a CPV or both. Currently there is an estimated 50k+ applicants in the pipeline.

If you have a look at the main parent visa thread, you will see most of us in the queue have underestimated how long this process would take, and how it is now spiraling into a complete farce. The queue has only moved forward 1 month in the last 5 months. So have no fear about selling your house in time and you will be able to follow others the thread and make a more informed decision in a few years time.

Also it's best not to trust the Home Affairs website, if fact don't trust anything in this process as it all keeps changing and the goalposts move every few months.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2018 at 19:33, Tulip1 said:

Do bare in mind if you apply now your son is likely to be at crucial part in his education. Queue times for new applicants will be about 5/6 years 

The waiting time is getting ridiculous. I feel like they'll introduce a visa similar to "Parent Retirement Visa" in NZ with high entry requirements.