Who did you use? Average costs shipping UK to NSW

Theevans

I'm currently in the process of trying to find the best price for shipping items from our home in the UK to Newcastle, NSW. We have a 3 bedroom home, and will be taking some furniture, but not all. One double bed and mattress, one single bed (no mattress), 2 dressers, one sofa, 2 bikes, books, pictures, toys and a few kitchen bits (stand mixer and food processor, nothing bulky)

We've been quoted over £4k for sole use of a 20ft container, which is quite a lot more than I'd expected. (I personally don't think we we need sole use of container, we'd be happy to share, and certainly unlikely to fill a 20ft)

I'm wondering what other people's experiences have been - who did you use, and what size were you quoted. Any recommendations much appreciated. We're looking to have our items shipped the last week in September, so time is pretty tight, although do-able!

Guest The Pom Queen

PSS are the ones the majority of our members use along with John Masons and Seven Seas.  One thing I would highly recommend is getting your insurance from a third party to keep the costs down.

1 hour ago, Theevans said:

I'm currently in the process of trying to find the best price for shipping items from our home in the UK to Newcastle, NSW. We have a 3 bedroom home, and will be taking some furniture, but not all. One double bed and mattress, one single bed (no mattress), 2 dressers, one sofa, 2 bikes, books, pictures, toys and a few kitchen bits (stand mixer and food processor, nothing bulky)

We've been quoted over £4k for sole use of a 20ft container, which is quite a lot more than I'd expected. (I personally don't think we we need sole use of container, we'd be happy to share, and certainly unlikely to fill a 20ft)

I'm wondering what other people's experiences have been - who did you use, and what size were you quoted. Any recommendations much appreciated. We're looking to have our items shipped the last week in September, so time is pretty tight, although do-able!

Hi

We used PSS. We shipped a double bed, a sofa bed, small sideboard, kitchen table +four chairs, bookcase, ikea chair and footrest, a large box of shoes and sundry boxes of books, kitchen equipment, bedding and personal items. We also had a sewing machine, a large tool box with tools, and a printer plus about twenty framed pictures of various sizes, a dinner service for eight, a washing machine and masses of cultery, We paid £2,800 and the insurance (we used a different firm, much cheaper) was about £150. Our quote was cheaper than yours because it went as a part load, which meant we had to wait for the container to fill. The load was packed for us and collected on the same day, and arrived in Sydney about ten weeks later. the problem was with the wait for customs - a further seven weeks. This was not the fault of PSS but we did feel they could have warned us of the possibility of a longer wait ... They estimated 10-12 weeks overall. Otherwise we were very happy with the whole move. our things were well packed and were delivered to our address about 60 miles from Sydney at no extra cost - the only additional cost was payment for customs check which was about $150 cant remember exactly so it cant have been that bad! We had only one breakage ... A single wine glass, which we thought was amazing.  Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

A quick one, if you opt for a shared container prepare to wait an extra 4 weeks from the date they tell you it will arrive. The reason is they usually sit on the dock side waiting for the other person to get a move on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2018 at 08:33, Theevans said:

When are you planing to travel Theevans? We are relocating to the Manning valley, which is pretty close to Newcastle. We are also a family with a 3/4 bed house. Wonder if we can coordinate a shared container with a company? 

• Like 1

We used PSS.

Initial quote for £3.5K for 661 cubic feet, sole use 20ft container.

Bill increased to £4K as there was another 200 cubic feet needed packing on the day.

Went with Letton Percival for insurance.  Good as gold when we needed to claim for a damaged couch.

I'd use them all again.

4 hours ago, unzippy said:

We used PSS.

Initial quote for £3.5K for 661 cubic feet, sole use 20ft container.

Bill increased to £4K as there was another 200 cubic feet needed packing on the day.

Went with Letton Percival for insurance.  Good as gold when we needed to claim for a damaged couch.

I'd use them all again.

Yes we went with Letton Percival- very helpful and half the price of the insurance offered by pss

• 3 weeks later...

We’ve been quoted a ball-park figure of £6k for sole use 40ft container including full packing service. South UK to Sydney this was with TSS.

We’re having more detailed quotes from various companies taking place over the coming weeks as I think we’ll be able to whittle stuff we want to take down to a 20ft container... therefore cost should come down...