Eligible for 190, 489 & 189? Which one has better odds?

Hi guys,

I recently received my assessment results from CPA Aus and can now begin the application process. Could someone help me with my doubts. I'll be applying under the Management Accountant occupation.

1. Can I apply for 190, 189 and 489 at the time same time?

My preference is the 189.

2. What are the timelines for each one? My points for each visa are.

189 - 75 points

489 - 85 points

190 - 80 points

Any feedback would be very helpful. Thanks

Pete

It is very hard to say at the moment as it is so close to the new financial year, which is when many aspects of migration reset. For example, at the moment, you would not get an invite for a 189 as no accountants are being invited on less than 80 points for a 189. However, that may (most years it has) reset back to 60 on July 1. 

You would get an invite for any of the state visas assuming a state is sponsoring and you meet any specific criteria imposed by the state. Do note though that even if you request state sponsorship for a 190, a number of states now routinely refuse 190 and offer 489 instead. 

On 27/06/2018 at 03:17, Meltingpot_Pete said:

Hi guys,

I recently received my assessment results from CPA Aus and can now begin the application process. Could someone help me with my doubts. I'll be applying under the Management Accountant occupation.

1. Can I apply for 190, 189 and 489 at the time same time?

My preference is the 189.

2. What are the timelines for each one? My points for each visa are.

189 - 75 points

489 - 85 points

190 - 80 points

Any feedback would be very helpful. Thanks

Pete

I would most certainly launch an EOI for both a 189 and 190. It doesn't cost any extra and increases your odds quite a bit on the 190 as you get an extra 5 points.

My understanding is that only 2.5% of the occupation ceiling are allocated to accountants vs 6% for other occupations.

Have a look here to see how long you'll wait on 75 points vs 80 points for an Accountant (that is if invites are sent out, as they stopped invites for accountants a while back).

http://www.iscah.com/unofficial-skill-select-results-20th-june-2018/

6 minutes ago, Meltingpot_Pete said:

Thanks happyisland. My dilemma is if I get the 190 sponsorship from a state I'm not interested in moving to.

I'm in the exact same situation. I launched a 189 and 190 EOI - would like to go to QLD, but might not get a 189 invite in the next year due to current high points situation.

However, the way you should look at it is : the 190 is a stepping stone to get to where you want to get. It's a case of I wait for the 189, I might not get a visa at all, and if I get an EOI for the 190 I will highly likely get an invite in the next few weeks (my points will drop by 5 in September 2019). I'd rather get an OZ visa than not at all.

That's a very good point you've made and it did cross my mind as well. My points will hold good for next two years but yes with visas it's always a gamble. A bird in hand it worth two in the bush. Since the 190 ties you to a  place for only two years it may not be such a big deal overall. 

May I ask what's your score and occupation category?

3 hours ago, Meltingpot_Pete said:

Thanks happyisland. My dilemma is if I get the 190 sponsorship from a state I'm not interested in moving to.

You would need to be careful. The government can (and does) cancel visas where someone is found to have taken state sponsorship with no intent

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/06/2018 at 17:32, happyisland said:

I'm in the exact same situation. I launched a 189 and 190 EOI - would like to go to QLD, but might not get a 189 invite in the next year due to current high points situation.

However, the way you should look at it is : the 190 is a stepping stone to get to where you want to get. It's a case of I wait for the 189, I might not get a visa at all, and if I get an EOI for the 190 I will highly likely get an invite in the next few weeks (my points will drop by 5 in September 2019). I'd rather get an OZ visa than not at all.

So I've finally taken the plunge and applied for both 189 and 190 with 75 & 80 points respectively. I'm a management accountant. Based on what I've read in these forums so far I'm hoping for an invite for 190  by end of 2018, a Christmas gift perhaps. Looking at ISCAH's estimates I'll only get an invite for a 189 post-July 2019 which isn't bad either, allows me to save up some more money.