schooling & health costs for 489 visa

This is my very first topic and I hope to receive some info that can put my mind at ease.

We are a family of 3(1kids) and are working on a migration plan to Adelaide, SA under the sub class via 489 which does not give similar benefits of a 189 or 190 visa category, i.e. education and health benefits.

My question's and concerns are:

- How expensive would schooling and health cover be?

- Can I enroll my children in a public school or does it only have to be a private school?

- What would the health coverage or insurance take care of, only doctors consultations and or medications?

Any additional info that you feel can be of help would be appreciated.

Thank you

South Australia only charge the Visa student contribution fee if you're on a 457 or 482 visa (in which case it's $5,200 for each primary school student & $6,200 for each secondary school student). The 489 visa is viewed more as a precursor to PR and as such, you won't pay any fees (aside from the contributions which every school charges, which normally are a couple of hundred dollars a term).

Yes, you'll be able to enroll your children in a public school

6 hours ago, rasika said:

This is my very first topic and I hope to receive some info that can put my mind at ease.

We are a family of 3(1kids) and are working on a migration plan to Adelaide, SA under the sub class via 489 which does not give similar benefits of a 189 or 190 visa category, i.e. education and health benefits.

My question's and concerns are:

- How expensive would schooling and health cover be?

- Can I enroll my children in a public school or does it only have to be a private school?

- What would the health coverage or insurance take care of, only doctors consultations and or medications?

Any additional info that you feel can be of help would be appreciated.

Thank you

@rasika yes as mentioned by  @Cerberus1 education wont be expensive in a public school on a 489 but yes health insurance can be expensive. It all depends on what package you choose. 

Bupa seems to be the best option and from what I have researched it would cost about 200 to 240 AUD a month for a family of 4.

Wish you all the best. its a good move go for it.

• Like 1

South Australia only charge the Visa student contribution fee if you're on a 457 or 482 visa (in which case it's $5,200 for each primary school student & $6,200 for each secondary school student). The 489 visa is viewed more as a precursor to PR and as such, you won't pay any fees (aside from the contributions which every school charges, which normally are a couple of hundred dollars a term).
Yes, you'll be able to enroll your children in a public school

[mention=270281]rasika[/mention] yes as mentioned by  [mention=217637]Cerberus1[/mention] education wont be expensive in a public school on a 489 but yes health insurance can be expensive. It all depends on what package you choose. 
Bupa seems to be the best option and from what I have researched it would cost about 200 to 240 AUD a month for a family of 4.
Wish you all the best. its a good move go for it.

1 hour ago, rasika said:

489 visa holder able to enroll publicly school free or we need to pay emoji383.png for the school my baby boy 3 years old

Yes you will need to pay for child care for a 3 year old. Kids don’t start school in Australia until they are 5 (generally, but it depends on their birthday). Child care can knock you back $100-120 per day on average

You’ve already been told that you won’t need to pay international or temporary visa fees for full time public school.  However, everyone pays some sort of fees for their kids’ schooling - voluntary contributions, stationery packs, uniforms, visiting teachers, excursions, extra programs, performances etc. You will always have your hand in your pocket for something school related. Also you’ll have to provide their lunch and break foods, they’re not catered for.

• 1 year later...

So what about university fees ,I have daughter and she will in university the time I move there ( I'm 489 visa holder ), they will consider her as international student or will give her any consideration.