Family sponsorship - Half siblings resident in the UK

Hi

My husband and I are Australian citizens and I have two children currently here and have PR with the third child currently on a sponsorship visa.

We, as a family, meet all the criteria to sponsor her except she has two half-siblings (minors) resident in the UK. Her natural father is deceased and has no other immediate family in the UK. Can anyone please enlighten me as to why the half-siblings prevent us from sponsoring her. I'm at a loss!

1 hour ago, Rita Blyth said:

Hi

My husband and I are Australian citizens and I have two children currently here and have PR with the third child currently on a sponsorship visa.

We, as a family, meet all the criteria to sponsor her except she has two half-siblings (minors) resident in the UK. Her natural father is deceased and has no other immediate family in the UK. Can anyone please enlighten me as to why the half-siblings prevent us from sponsoring her. I'm at a loss!

Sorry what visa would she be applying under?

Hopefully, the Remaining Relative visa. This was not an option until her natural father passed away last year and now find there are two half-siblings resident in the UK - and I don't understand why they would be considered at all especially as they are young teenagers.

58 minutes ago, MaggieMay24 said:

I'm not sure if their young age would make them excluded from consideration, but I believe it doesn't matter that they are half siblings.  In the eyes of DHA, any near relative is taken into account even if there is no contact with the family member.

Thanks for the reply MaggieMay - this is what I'm struggling with...the fact that they have absolutely no bearing whatsoever and I suppose I want/need to someone to explain why these two half-siblings prevent us from sponsoring our daughter to stay here with the rest of her family. It doesn't make sense to me....

Have you looked into last remaining relative? 

Processing times are 56 years! So, for effectively the rest of her life she would have limited healthcare access - reciprocal only, have no access to social security, be treated as an international student for education and many other issues. 

Pin asnwer to your question though, the rules aren't there to make sense. 

19 minutes ago, Rita Blyth said:

Thanks for the reply MaggieMay - this is what I'm struggling with...the fact that they have absolutely no bearing whatsoever and I suppose I want/need to someone to explain why these two half-siblings prevent us from sponsoring our daughter to stay here with the rest of her family. It doesn't make sense to me....

The remaining relative visa eligibility seems fairly clear and the half siblings existence mean she isn’t eligible for that visa because they are her relatives.  Even if she had been eligible for the remaining relative visa she would be old by the time it got issued.

You might be better speaking to a registered migration agent about if there is a visa she would meet eligibility for that is also practical.

The visa is as it suggests, for people who have no remaining relatives in the uk. It doesn't matter if they're half siblings or that they don't like each other or that they are teenagers.  Lots of siblings don't like each other and you can imagine how many more wouldn't if they thought that may get them a visa.  To me it's cut and dry, your daughter doesn't meet the criteria. As has been said about the visa, the wait time is over 50 years anyway although not relevant.  Sorry it's not what you want to hear. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rita Blyth said:

Why do you think they have no 'absolutely bearing whatsoever' of course they do, they are blood related relatives. 

8 minutes ago, AmandaJB said:

Just thinking out loud here, as I’m no expert - aren’t your children able to gain Australian Citizenship by Descent? I see you have Australian citizenship. 

I'm assuming they are British parents who moved to Oz and subsequently took citizenship.  

49 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I'm assuming they are British parents who moved to Oz and subsequently took citizenship.  

I see, and I note that one parent has to have citizenship when the child is born. That would make sense, thanks.