Movecube or container?

Emma_M

Hi,

Has anyone used movecube? Do most people use a container if they plan to ship furniture or would a movecube suffice?

Trying to figure out if we could fit everything in a large movecube?

Anyones experiences on this would be helpful!

We have a 4 bedroom house but won’t be taking any furniture from the bedrooms so would really just be a suite, dining room table and chairs and white goods, and of course boxes of household and personal items, honestly even thinking about it all is giving me a serious headache ?

Tbh I don’t think a large Movecube would fit all that furniture. You need to look at the dimensions to see for yourself. 

We used one but didn’t bring much furniture at all. Our bed, dismantled, one small chair we could take apart, desk, flat packed and 2 small sets of drawers stuffed with bedding etc. Plus personal effects. And that was a tight squeeze. 

6 hours ago, Emma_M said:

Hi,

Has anyone used movecube? Do most people use a container if they plan to ship furniture or would a movecube suffice?

Trying to figure out if we could fit everything in a large movecube?

Anyones experiences on this would be helpful!

We have a 4 bedroom house but won’t be taking any furniture from the bedrooms so would really just be a suite, dining room table and chairs and white goods, and of course boxes of household and personal items, honestly even thinking about it all is giving me a serious headache ?

Hi Emma

We moved from a four bedroomed house last August, planned to just bring a bed, sofa bed, dining table & 4 chairs, boxes of household items ... nothing much really we said, so  we enquired about move cubes, did our homework on the price, accepted that we would have to pack and load ourselves or pay extra for help. We booked a movecube and downloaded all the customs forms we would have to fill in and then began planning the load. We had actually packed a few boxes when I sat down with a piece of graph paper and drew a scale plan of the move cube and started sticking drawn to scale items of furniture into my outline.  That was the point when we decided we might need a second move cube ...

The following day I rang PSS removals and asked if they could give me a quote. A representative visited that same week and quoted us 2800 pounds for the things we wanted to take. As the movecube bill was moving up towards that amount - what with paying for help with loading and then having an extra half sized cube - we decided to take this offer. 

On the appointed day, two guys arrived at about eight thirty. They worked non-stop for the morning and drove off with all our stuff at about 12 midday. We were contacted by email when it all arrived in Sydney and a handover firm in Sydney told us what to do next. We paid something like 160$ customs fees and a bit of tax on a bottle of good brandy my OH couldn't bear to leave behind (!) and waited.  This was the only bad bit - we had to wait seven weeks for the stuff to leave customs (but to be fair, that wasn't the fault of PSS - I was cross with them though for not warning us in advance that their 12-14 week estimate might extend to 19 (!!!!) weeks.  When our things finally cleared customs they were delivered to us in Kiama - 90km approx from Sydney docks - at no extra charge. Two guys arrived about 8.30, worked non-stop for a couple of hours. We signed for the stuff and off they went. Everything was beautifully wrapped, we didn't have a single breakage despite taking a china dinner service and some expensive wine glasses.

PSS will organise the insurance but I chose a different firm which had good reports on here. I had to list everything together with an approximate value, which was a pain, but I would have had to do that with Movecube.  

We were so glad we did it with a removal firm - it took longer because we had a part load but even so, the actual pick up was stress free - we just pointed out the stuff that was going and left them to get on with it.

Hope this helps!

Hi Emma

This is my movecube thread - with pics to give you an idea of size. We used a large movecube and we were surprised how much could fit.... but from what your suggesting, you may struggle to get that all in. - unless you used two and stagger departures..

I suggest measuring your sofa and dining room table and checking to see if they'd even fit in a Movecube.

That was the deciding factor for us.  We had very little to move so in theory, we were ideal for a Movecube - but when we checked the dimensions, we realised that the sofa wouldn't fit unless it was on an angle, which would take up all the space!

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies, @kevsan your thread was really useful. 

So @Fisher1 sorry wasn’t sure, did you end up getting a container or 2 movecubes??

I’ll give my sofa a quick measure! 

I think we’d probably need a container, just remembered we have some large garden furniture and an American fridge freezer that we’d probably like to bring too oops ?! 

Edited by Emma_M

15 hours ago, Emma_M said:

Thanks for all your replies, @kevsan your thread was really useful. 

So @Fisher1 sorry wasn’t sure, did you end up getting a container or 2 movecubes??

I’ll give my sofa a quick measure! 

I think we’d probably need a container, just remembered we have some large garden furniture and an American fridge freezer that we’d probably like to bring too oops ?! 

'"The following day I rang PSS removals and asked if they could give me a quote. A representative visited that same week and quoted us 2800 pounds for the things we wanted to take. As the movecube bill was moving up towards that amount - what with paying for help with loading and then having an extra half sized cube - we decided to take this offer."