Off shore doc struggle

Hello to all,

I am struggling with a bunch of questions and would be very grateful for some help. I have an Australian citizenship and so does my 3 year old daughter( by descent). My husband is Polish and we live in Poland. We would like to apply for the offshore partner visa.

As regards the certification of translated documents. According to the info provided on the website a notary public can do it. But then a question arises. He can only do it in Polish so should I have the notary's note translated? It's a bit awkward going from a translator to a notary and a translator again.

As regards the less official documents (e-mails where we both figure, letters). Can I translate them myself? I am a teacher by profession .Can I translate my husband's statement about our relationship? According to the 'literature' a non accredited translator can do it. 

As for joint finances all bills (gas, electricity, waste etc) are written in one name, my husband that is. This is the usual practice here. The only thing we have joint is our bank account. Even our house is in.his name only. We are planning to change the house ownership document but what about all the other bills. Would this  nit be enough joint bank account and house?

I don't understand the point regarding form 888 and statutory declarations. Am I to provide them both or opt for one of them? What is the procedure regarding certification. Sources say that it can be witnesses by a teacher, vet, accountant etc. Is it really so and would this person have to accompany me to the notary? Please clear out this one for me? Then again.I read somewhere that a statutory declaration can only be written by an Australian. Due to translation issues I wanted my friend from the USA and Germany to write them for us as they speak English well but how to carry out this certification? I have a friend in Australia, too but don't know how to do it. I just don't understand this point.

Please help me out:)

I shall try to reply to a few things

Stat decs, 888's - if I recall correctly you are expected to provide 2 of them. Some provide one or two more though. I submitted 2. If you are asking your friend in Australia to submit one then its easy enough for them to do their end. You don't need to do anything really. Send them the PDF link and ask them to print it all off may be easier? Then they can sort it out over here https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/forms/documents/888.pdf They would write it, get it witnessed/certified as per Aus system and send it to you to submit with your application. Ensure they include everything required (eg their passport scanned and certified) as per the instructions. Keep in mind they are valid for a set period of time so don't go getting them done now if you don't plan to submit for a few more months. 

Can your husband write a more shortened version of a supporting statement in English? Some people write a page or so and bullet point the important dates, that sort of thing. And keep it short and sweet discussing the aspects of their relationship. Hopefully his English would be good enough to manage that or something not so difficult? If you are doing it online check and see if it can be written directly into the application, rather than it being a document you upload. 

It happens sometimes bills etc are only in one persons name. If you explain this when submitting and point out you share a joint bank account (and if you have them wills, life insurance naming each other and other things). I'd suggest you submit a number bank statements from your joint account over the years so they can see you both on the address together and the shared finances. And if need be, include 12 months worth from the year prior to you lodging the application. You could probably put them all in one PDF to upload. 

No clue about the translation. 

2 hours ago, Katalinka said:

I don't understand the point regarding form 888 and statutory declarations. Am I to provide them both or opt for one of them? What is the procedure regarding certification. Sources say that it can be witnesses by a teacher, vet, accountant etc. Is it really so and would this person have to accompany me to the notary? Please clear out this one for me? Then again.I read somewhere that a statutory declaration can only be written by an Australian. Due to translation issues I wanted my friend from the USA and Germany to write them for us as they speak English well but how to carry out this certification? I have a friend in Australia, too but don't know how to do it. I just don't understand this point.

Please help me out:)

To add to the previous reply, your friends in Germany and the USA can certainly write statements. They can fill in 888 and just not worry about providing passports etc (as that is only for Australians) or they can just write a statement or stautory declaration on ordinary paper, using the questions on 888 as a guideline. And just sign it to say that its all true and accurate.

If you can get one from an Australian as well even better - see the advice from Snifter above about doing that. 

Edited by Nemesis

So many thanks to you! To cut the long story short, the stat dec written by an Australian must be notarized and supplemented by a copy of a passport. The other two statements written by an American and a friend living in Germany must only be signed by them and not notarized? Or does the certification/ notarization refer to everyone without exception? How long is it valid for?I was hoping to do it as soon as possible but it seems there is no point yet. Thank you once again:)

I don’t recall how long they are valid for. My brain was telling me 3 months by I could be getting it confused.

Get them done close to when you are ready to lodge to be on the safe side. I think ours were done in Aus and back about 2-3 weeks before we planned to submit my application. We asked people to courier them over rather than just air mail to ensure they could be tracked and arrived quicker. 

7 hours ago, Katalinka said:

So many thanks to you! To cut the long story short, the stat dec written by an Australian must be notarized and supplemented by a copy of a passport. The other two statements written by an American and a friend living in Germany must only be signed by them and not notarized? Or does the certification/ notarization refer to everyone without exception? How long is it valid for?I was hoping to do it as soon as possible but it seems there is no point yet. Thank you once again:)

That sounds pretty right. To be honest it won't matter if the ones that are by non-ozzies are notarised or not. Immigration want the ozzie ones notarised sothat if they find someone lied, they can prosecute. However they do not have the ability to prosecute non-ozzies, so they aren't so bothered about the legal stuff. (hope that makes sense).

They are certainly valid for several months, I'd work on about a 6 month timeline to ask for them to be done before you apply. And you may have to chase people for them, some friends are very slow!!!

Hello again!

Please help me out with these ones;) I am so desperate for some information:)

1.Do our statements boh in English are t be signed only or certificaion is to be provided, too?

2. Which forms are a must?

3. How to send pictures, invoices, receipts, pics of envelopes, facebook and messenger snapshots. There's quite a lot of that. What's the best option/solution? Scanning them and sending as single pieces? 

4. Since the documents are to be scanned and uploaded to immiaccount I understand that I don't have to have passports and other documents copied and certified....Is that right or have it done it for the future ? I'd prefer not to due to costs but if this should help and save time...

5. Can the institution in London be contacted with some of the questions. They were closed when I phoned. I tried to get in touch with an embassy in.Berlin in Germany but they don't deal with visa issues just like my home country Poland.

6. Does Regional and non regional Australia play a role when it comes to partnership visa?

7. We are thinking about coming to Au for 3 weeks to give my husband a feel of what it is all about. My question is if we get a tourist visa, fly to Au, come back...can we lodge an app for a offshore partner visa. Does the tourist visa have to expire before we apply for a partner visa?

Thank you very much for all the help and comments. I feel so much more positive with all your help. We were advised to use the services of an agent but I think I can do it on my own, right?

Thanks again;)

2 hours ago, Katalinka said:

Hello again!

Please help me out with these ones;) I am so desperate for some information:)

1.Do our statements boh in English are t be signed only or certificaion is to be provided, too?

2. Which forms are a must?

3. How to send pictures, invoices, receipts, pics of envelopes, facebook and messenger snapshots. There's quite a lot of that. What's the best option/solution? Scanning them and sending as single pieces? 

4. Since the documents are to be scanned and uploaded to immiaccount I understand that I don't have to have passports and other documents copied and certified....Is that right or have it done it for the future ? I'd prefer not to due to costs but if this should help and save time...

5. Can the institution in London be contacted with some of the questions. They were closed when I phoned. I tried to get in touch with an embassy in.Berlin in Germany but they don't deal with visa issues just like my home country Poland.

6. Does Regional and non regional Australia play a role when it comes to partnership visa?

7. We are thinking about coming to Au for 3 weeks to give my husband a feel of what it is all about. My question is if we get a tourist visa, fly to Au, come back...can we lodge an app for a offshore partner visa. Does the tourist visa have to expire before we apply for a partner visa?

Thank you very much for all the help and comments. I feel so much more positive with all your help. We were advised to use the services of an agent but I think I can do it on my own, right?

Thanks again;)

1 Your own statements are done online.

2 Read the checklist on the immigration website for current info

3 They must be scanned and attached. \scanning several int one document is a good idea as you can only upload 60 scans

4 you don't need certified copies now If you need them in future get them done in oz by a JP, its free then.

5 What institution do you mean?

6 No, none at all

7 You do not have to wait. You can apply while the turst visa is still crrent, as long as you are offshore. 

The institution I had in mind is australian department of immigration and border protection. Has anyone tried getting in touch with them and succeeded?

Questions keep springing to my mind. Can you please help me out with these ones;)

1.Once you are granted the offshore partner visa when do you have to cross the Australian border, what is the ultimate deadline? 

2. I heard that you are to stay in Au for a certain period of time amounting to two years, I think...within a period of 5 years for the visa not to lose its validity. Not sure how it works.

3. The house is in my husband's name only. The costs of changing it is quite high so I am wondering whether a joint account, loan for the house would satisfy the visa requirements. We dont have joint bills for electricity, sewage,car etc but holiday bookings, holiday insurance  in both names plus a a few envelopes, certificate of dog;), my workplace is in my house so the same address, my surname changed to my husband's.And loads of pictures from FB and Messenger. Messages from friends where we are both mentioned, contacts with his sister.

4. One technical thing. Can all invoices, receipts be prepared in  a pdf file and uploaded as one item? What's the best procedure as regards photos? Have them printed out, put as many on the printer and scan them or upload single photos...but then again only 60 items can be uploaded. What would you recommend?

Thanks a million;)

41 minutes ago, Katalinka said:

The institution I had in mind is australian department of immigration and border protection. Has anyone tried getting in touch with them and succeeded?

Questions keep springing to my mind. Can you please help me out with these ones;)

1.Once you are granted the offshore partner visa when do you have to cross the Australian border, what is the ultimate deadline? 

2. I heard that you are to stay in Au for a certain period of time amounting to two years, I think...within a period of 5 years for the visa not to lose its validity. Not sure how it works.

3. The house is in my husband's name only. The costs of changing it is quite high so I am wondering whether a joint account, loan for the house would satisfy the visa requirements. We dont have joint bills for electricity, sewage,car etc but holiday bookings, holiday insurance  in both names plus a a few envelopes, certificate of dog;), my workplace is in my house so the same address, my surname changed to my husband's.And loads of pictures from FB and Messenger. Messages from friends where we are both mentioned, contacts with his sister.

4. One technical thing. Can all invoices, receipts be prepared in  a pdf file and uploaded as one item? What's the best procedure as regards photos? Have them printed out, put as many on the printer and scan them or upload single photos...but then again only 60 items can be uploaded. What would you recommend?

Thanks a million;)

Do not rely on the immigration dept, you would be better using an agent.

1 you have usually 12 months from the medical/pcc date, whichever is earlier

2 read the threads in the forum on return resident visas (RRV)

3 you can only supply what you have!

4 combine photos etc into one file (limit is 5mb). That helps keep the total below 60.