Understanding Visa

Hey,

I was granted a 100 visa yesterday :) but have a few questions:

- there is a ‘for first entry, arrive by’ date, which is self explanatory (must arrive and activate visa no later than this date), but then there is a ‘must not arrive after’ date, which is exactly 5 years from date of visa granted. I’ve done a bit of research but just want to confirm: this means I can travel freely in and out of Australia up until this date, where then for travel outside of Oz I must apply for a Resident Return Visa to be allowed back into the country?

- how is my visa activated? Do I need to do anything or do I just have the visa now? Is it associated with the electronic part of my passport, or do I need to print this visa out? It was just attached as a pdf to an email.

Thanks for your advice:)

Yes. Once you've validated your visa within that set timeframe of first entry you can travel freely until that 5 year point. Then you will need a RRV before you depart the country. 

Its electronically attached to your passport (assuming you are using the same one you used when lodging). You go to Australia, clear immigration (get them to stamp your passport as a precaution) and you are done. 

When I flew into Aus I had a printed out full copy of the visa grant notice just in case but it wasn't needed. 

Guest The Pom Queen

@snifter is correct.

Remember though if you want to apply for citizenship you must meet the resident requirements by meeting all of the following:

have lived in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying

must have been a permanent resident for the 12 months immediately before making an application and not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, during the four year period, including no more than 90 days in the 12 months before applying.

Under some circumstances you might be eligible to apply for a variation to the residence requirement  or be eligible under the special residence requirement.

If you were granted a permanent resident visa before you arrived in Australia, your permanent residence date is the date that you arrived in Australia on that visa.

If you were granted a permanent resident visa after you arrived in Australia, your permanent residence date will be the date that the 

2 hours ago, oliver27 said:

I was granted a 100 visa yesterday :) but have a few questions:

-  there is a ‘must not arrive after’ date, which is exactly 5 years from date of visa granted. I’ve done a bit of research but just want to confirm: this means I can travel freely in and out of Australia up until this date, where then for travel outside of Oz I must apply for a Resident Return Visa to be allowed back into the country?

You are mostly right.  Provided you visit Australia before the activation date, you then have until the "must not arrive after" date to make the permanent move.

After that date, assuming you're settled in Australia, you'd just need to get either an RRV (or citizenship) before your next overseas trip (otherwise you wouldn't be allowed back in). 

However, you can't just "travel in and out of Australia" for five years, then apply for a RRV to give you more time to settle - you won't get it.  If you fail to move permanently within those five years, the only way you can get a RRV is if you've spent two years out of the five in Australia, OR  if you have strong ties to Australia (i.e. owning a home here, or family ties, or an established job).  

• Thanks 1

Ok thanks. Just so I’m understanding correctly...

I plan to move to Australia in mid October this year and settle (rent and eventually buy, job, etc.).

I’m able to travel freely (no more than 90 days a time) for 5 years. E.g. I plan to holiday in New Zealand, Fiji, Bali, Japan, etc. Probably no longer than 2 weeks a time really.

After the 5 years I’m not able to holiday, unless I’ve been granted the RRV, or unless I’ve obtained citizenship.

Assuming the above situation is right, would that meet the requirements for an RRV?

Anything that deviates from this and causes complications (e.g. I live offshore Australia for more than 90 days) I would probably seek more information at the time. But this isn’t the plan - just a simple migration and but with holidays obviously whilst I live there :)

10 hours ago, oliver27 said:

Ok thanks. Just so I’m understanding correctly...

I plan to move to Australia in mid October this year and settle (rent and eventually buy, job, etc.).

I’m able to travel freely (no more than 90 days a time) for 5 years. E.g. I plan to holiday in New Zealand, Fiji, Bali, Japan, etc. Probably no longer than 2 weeks a time really.

After the 5 years I’m not able to holiday, unless I’ve been granted the RRV, or unless I’ve obtained citizenship.

Assuming the above situation is right, would that meet the requirements for an RRV?

Yes definitely.   If you're only leaving for holidays, then you should easily satisfy the "2 years out of 5" rule.  Even if you didn't, you'd be able to demonstrate "strong ties", because you'll have an established home (either rented or owned) and a job.

Of course, the sensible thing is to apply for citizenship as soon as you're eligible, then you never need to worry about RRV's ever again!

• 3 months later...

Hi, I was just granted a 476 with "For first entry, arrive by 10 July 2019" and "Must not arrive after 29 February 2020".

According to the answers in this topic, this means I can't reenter Australia after the latter date without switching my immigration status or RRV. Does this mean I can't reenter if a get another visa granted either? I wanted to be able to use my second year 462 after the 476.

On 29/08/2018 at 04:48, Tom92 said:

Hi, I was just granted a 476 with "For first entry, arrive by 10 July 2019" and "Must not arrive after 29 February 2020".

According to the answers in this topic, this means I can't reenter Australia after the latter date without switching my immigration status or RRV. Does this mean I can't reenter if a get another visa granted either? I wanted to be able to use my second year 462 after the 476.

What it means is that you cannot enter Australia on that visa after that date. If you get another visa granted, the previous one will cease and the new one will have its own set of conditions that need to be complied with. You cannot get an RRV because a 476 is a temporary visa.

• Thanks 1