Which avenue to take

Uk2oz

Hi everyone. I am looking for some advice on eventualy moving to australia.

I will be using a Mara agent when the time comes but for now I would like to get an idea of which route we would probably end up taking. 

I will now give some more details and hopefully some kind soul would be able to help.

There is myself aged 37,my partner aged 52 and our son who is 9.

We own our own home mortgage free but can't sell for another 4 years so couldn't move until 2022. My partner is over 45 so I believe it's only me who can possibly get the visa for us?

I am starting a joinery and carpentry course in September and I may do the level 3 which is the highest qualification or do just the level 2 and apply for a student visa and complete the level 3 in Australia.

We could sell our home and pay to get into Australia but not have a lot left to buy another home once there.

I don't think I would have enough work experience once qualified as a joiner/carpenter to get a skilled visa. 

My partners 2 daughters are Australian citizens and live in bundaberg with their partners and children so there is also the balance of family?

I have no idea where to start and it's getting harder to watch my partner and my son get upset when we  end a video call to the family in Australia as we miss them so much.  

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. 

Thank you  :)

19 minutes ago, Uk2oz said:

Hi everyone. I am looking for some advice on eventualy moving to australia.

I will be using a Mara agent when the time comes but for now I would like to get an idea of which route we would probably end up taking. 

I will now give some more details and hopefully some kind soul would be able to help.

There is myself aged 37,my partner aged 52 and our son who is 9.

We own our own home mortgage free but can't sell for another 4 years so couldn't move until 2022. My partner is over 45 so I believe it's only me who can possibly get the visa for us?

I am starting a joinery and carpentry course in September and I may do the level 3 which is the highest qualification or do just the level 2 and apply for a student visa and complete the level 3 in Australia.

We could sell our home and pay to get into Australia but not have a lot left to buy another home once there.

I don't think I would have enough work experience once qualified as a joiner/carpenter to get a skilled visa. 

My partners 2 daughters are Australian citizens and live in bundaberg with their partners and children so there is also the balance of family?

I have no idea where to start and it's getting harder to watch my partner and my son get upset when we  end a video call to the family in Australia as we miss them so much.  

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. 

Thank you  :)

First port of call would be to have an initial consultation with a MARA agent to make sure you have the best strategy identified - it is often free or low cost, especially in the overall context of migration so money well spent at the start of your journey!

Good luck!

Yes, only one of you needs to qualify which because of your printers age, would have to be you. 

You would need several years experience after gaining a level 3 to qualify. Level 2 is not sufficient. 

I would not recommend the idea of a student visa as it would be a very high risk strategy. There would be no gauruntee of anything beyond. You would have to assume you would be returning to the UK at the end of it  

If you are going to retrain, make sure it is something you want to do, regardless of visas as the occupation lists change a lot and there is no gauruntee an occupation will be on the list in the future - over 200 have been removed in the last 12 months and the government have made it clear a lot more cuts to migration will occur. 

You may even with a level 3 struggle as you would have issues getting enough points as you will be over 40 and no points for experience. 

Many thanks for your replies. Firstly the joiner course is something I wanted to do I have been in the building trade for many years but not got qualifications on paper. I do think it is more likely that we will end up paying the full amount to "buy our way in" . :)

13 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

It may be possible to look at a parent visa via your partner and her children. But be aware this is a very expensive option with visas for costing over $120,000. 

Is that $120,000 for 2 adults and 1 child? My son would be 13 -14 when we would be going. 

19 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

A child will add to that. 

Be aware processing takes about three years and there is talk from the government about abolishing it. 

Oh nooo don't say that!

I worry that I will get closer to the time and whatever way in we thought we would take then becomes null and void! 

It seams like every long street that we walk down has a dead end :/

31 minutes ago, Uk2oz said:

Oh nooo don't say that!

I worry that I will get closer to the time and whatever way in we thought we would take then becomes null and void! 

It seams like every long street that we walk down has a dead end :/

Could you look at applying for the parent visa now, you only pay a few thousand for the initial application and then as it takes so long it might be ready when you are. There’s no guarantee that if the government change or abolish visas they won’t make it retrospective but sometimes they honour the current applicants and close it or change the rules for new applicants. Worth thinking about maybe. It is frustrating for you. Good luck. :)

1 minute ago, Amber Snowball said:

Could you look at applying for the parent visa now, you only pay a few thousand for the initial application and then as it takes so long it might be ready when you are. There’s no guarantee that if the government change or abolish visas they won’t make it retrospective but sometimes they honour the current applicants and close it or change the rules for new applicants. Worth thinking about maybe. It is frustrating for you. Good luck. :)

That a great idea. I was worried about hearing it could be abolished but as you say they may honour it. I will look into this. Thank you :)

That's great thanks. I have just found that bit would cost £2.500 down payment then another £71.500 . The money isbt a problem but it does say you pay installment number 2 when we ask you. We won't have the money for that for another 3 and a half years and it doesn't say when they might ask for it.  

5 hours ago, Uk2oz said:

That's great thanks. I have just found that bit would cost £2.500 down payment then another £71.500 . The money isbt a problem but it does say you pay installment number 2 when we ask you. We won't have the money for that for another 3 and a half years and it doesn't say when they might ask for it.  

You get asked for it just before visa is agreed so will be several years from now. Are you sure you've added 2 adults and one child to that first visa cost? I could be wrong but I'm sure one adult is about £2k

9 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

You get asked for it just before visa is agreed so will be several years from now. Are you sure you've added 2 adults and one child to that first visa cost? I could be wrong but I'm sure one adult is about £2k

Hi I've just re worked the exact numbers and it's £3126/$5680 for all 3 of us 

I think we are going to see a Mara agent next week and see how we go

Edited by Uk2oz
Wrong info

4 hours ago, Uk2oz said:

Hi I've just re worked the exact numbers and it's £3126/$5680 for all 3 of us 

I think we are going to see a Mara agent next week and see how we go

This is definitely your best course of action. A mara agent will give a full and honest assessment. That way you know if there is no chance and can move on or if there is an option you can decide how or if you will pursue it. Also if you want to shell out however much money it is going to cost and whether it is worth it to you or if you visit for extended holidays instead.

It is hard and I think we all worry about making the wrong decision or having our options limited by things we have no control over and government departments don’t deal in emotions. Hopefully you will find a course of action that you can live with. :)

11 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

This is definitely your best course of action. A mara agent will give a full and honest assessment. That way you know if there is no chance and can move on or if there is an option you can decide how or if you will pursue it. Also if you want to shell out however much money it is going to cost and whether it is worth it to you or if you visit for extended holidays instead.

It is hard and I think we all worry about making the wrong decision or having our options limited by things we have no control over and government departments don’t deal in emotions. Hopefully you will find a course of action that you can live with. :)

That's very sound advice and much appreciated thank you  :) 

I will try every option available to get there and failing that at least we will have a lovely holiday there each year :)

Edited by Uk2oz
Misspelling

Finally spoken with a Mara agent and it looks like we are going down the contributory parent visa route. One thing I didn't ask was does the child in Australia have to have been a resident for 2 years when you lodge your visa application or is it ok to lodge before the 2 years as the current waiting time for the parent visa process is roughly 3 years

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Uk2oz said:

Finally spoken with a Mara agent and it looks like we are going down the contributory parent visa route. One thing I didn't ask was does the child in Australia have to have been a resident for 2 years when you lodge your visa application or is it ok to lodge before the 2 years as the current waiting time for the parent visa process is roughly 3 years

Don’t know for sure now, but when we did a CPV 9 years ago I had to have lived here for 2 years as PR. Now there is a lovely thread on here for this visa. The brand new PIO parent visa thread. It’s a sticky at the top of the family visa section and they will know this and more. A very supportive and friendly bunch! 

So glad you have a plan! :)

Don’t know for sure now, but when we did a CPV 9 years ago I had to have lived here for 2 years as PR. Now there is a lovely thread on here for this visa. The brand new PIO parent visa thread. It’s a sticky at the top of the family visa section and they will know this and more. A very supportive and friendly bunch! 
So glad you have a plan! [emoji4]
That's great thank you. We're just talking to the kids in oz now and getting the info on their visas. I will keep you posted :)
  • Thanks 1

That's great thank you. We're just talking to the kids in oz now and getting the info on their visas. I will keep you posted [emoji4]
One daughter has just sent this......I’m on a bridging visa A. I’ve applied for a partner visa. Usually that wouldn’t give permanent residency for 2 years but because we’ve been together almost 6 years and have 2 kids I should skip those 2 years and go straight to permanent resident status. It’s not guaranteed but it’s about 99% likely. I applied 31/12/16...... the other daughter already has permanent residency for 1 year and 5 months. 189 granted in dec 2016 :)

2 minutes ago, Uk2oz said:

One daughter has just sent this......I’m on a bridging visa A. I’ve applied for a partner visa. Usually that wouldn’t give permanent residency for 2 years but because we’ve been together almost 6 years and have 2 kids I should skip those 2 years and go straight to permanent resident status. It’s not guaranteed but it’s about 99% likely. I applied 31/12/16...... the other daughter already has permanent residency for 1 year and 5 months. 189 granted in dec 2016 :)

Sounds like another call to the MARA agent with all your info ! Log into the other thread I mentioned and post there. They are all in the midst of the process and are always happy to share and support. It’s one of my favourite parts of the forum and I have no need of it but it makes me smile. 

Sounds like another call to the MARA agent with all your info ! Log into the other thread I mentioned and post there. They are all in the midst of the process and are always happy to share and support. It’s one of my favourite parts of the forum and I have no need of it but it makes me smile. 

I will do. Thank you :)