IELTS with dyslexia

Emma_M

My husband has his IELTS this Saturday and is really worrying about it, he has dyslexia and is finding he’s loosing out on lot of marks for spelling mistakes.

We need band 7 on all levels to get the 10 points we needs for the visa. 

All the studying in the world won’t improve his spelling, is there any hope for us!? Worrying this will end is us not being eligible for a visa ?

Anyone in the same position managed to get the marks they needed? 

Yes we had looked at this but they only increase the time which he doesn’t feel would make much difference, they also require evidence from a doctor within the last 2 years! He was diagnosed as a child so not sure how to have this re-done. 

Just feel like it’s extremely harsh, when it’s only the spelling that he struggles with.

He’s going to give it a couple of tries and then will probably give the Pearson test a go too, all the time and money we’ve put in so far and this is all we’re waiting for to put in our EOI so he’s feeling a lot of pressure and worries it’ll end in us not being able to emigrate ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2018 at 03:07, Emma_M said:

Thanks, I hope so! 

Hey emma,, 

hooe u doing great !! 

Have u got answer of an technical interview?? 

I got technical interview date for 17 may for hubby .. hope all goes good .. 

❤️

Hi Waris,

My husbands technical interview was fine, the assessor gave him a positive feedback so no problem at all, so just waiting on the official confirmation. Should be any day now.

Waiting on the IELTS results which he gets tomorrow, think this could take a few attempts as my husbands not confident at all ?, will keep you updated!

Good luck with the interview 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Emma_M said:

Update

Only needed band 7 and he got the results of the IELTS, overall 8! So pleased ? 

Listening 7.5

Reading 8.0

Writing 8.0

Speaking 8.0

Well Done @Emma_M. My husband got the results he desired this morning too.

Like you only needed 7's but got L8.5 R9 W8.5 S9 with an Overall 9 - a very welcome boost to our points score... Now if ACS would just hurry up with the skills assessment... 

Hi Horsemad,

Thats great news for you! Bet your happy with that. We could’ve done with the extra points boost too but we’ll settle for the 7s, we’re just waiting for the skills assessment to be sent over should be any day now, just need to get consent form 1229 to get signed from my eldest father and we’ll be ready to submit our EOI something next week hopefully.

I’m hoping that’s the hardest part over now and just need to get used to the waiting game.

Keep us updated with your progress ?

• 2 months later...
On 19/04/2018 at 21:22, Emma_M said:

My husband has his IELTS this Saturday and is really worrying about it, he has dyslexia and is finding he’s loosing out on lot of marks for spelling mistakes.

We need band 7 on all levels to get the 10 points we needs for the visa. 

All the studying in the world won’t improve his spelling, is there any hope for us!? Worrying this will end is us not being eligible for a visa ?

Anyone in the same position managed to get the marks they needed? 

On 04/05/2018 at 06:36, Emma_M said:

Update

Only needed band 7 and he got the results of the IELTS, overall 8! So pleased ? 

Listening 7.5

Reading 8.0

Writing 8.0

Speaking 8.0

Hi Emma, 

We are in the beginning process of Immigration to Australia.  My husband is also has Dyslexia and he is very worried about this, he also need to obtain an 8 overall for us to qualify.  I was wondering if you have any advise or encouragement for us as we are really so scared that this will cause us not to be able to immigrate. 

Regards

Hannelie

Hi,

I feel your pain! Is English your husbands first language? 

I think this was the most stressed we’ve both been through the whole process. I’m not sure how my husband done it tbh as he didn’t do much studying at all and crammed it all in a week before.

We spoke to a tutor who was a previous marker for IELTS who gave us some tips and if needed we would’ve paid for some tutoring but luckily he passed first time.

One thing they pick up on us spelling and punctuation which my husband is terrible at but one thing in his favour is he writes everything in block capitals so the tutor said that would help for the use of capitals letters in the correct places ?

We only needed a band 7, the one section he didn’t get an 8 on was the listening which was the section he’d done a few practice tests on as this part I think the spelling is important. 

I’m not sure what advice to give but to do loads of practice tests, and don’t lose hope, if he doesn’t get it first time keep trying I’m sure he’ll get it eventually. I felt exactly like you that this whole process was going to fail because of a stupid English test which is so infuriating as native English speakers and I’ve see some people get band 8 and 9 and can’t even string a sentence together!

Hi,
I feel your pain! Is English your husbands first language? 
I think this was the most stressed we’ve both been through the whole process. I’m not sure how my husband done it tbh as he didn’t do much studying at all and crammed it all in a week before.
We spoke to a tutor who was a previous marker for IELTS who gave us some tips and if needed we would’ve paid for some tutoring but luckily he passed first time.
One thing they pick up on us spelling and punctuation which my husband is terrible at but one thing in his favour is he writes everything in block capitals so the tutor said that would help for the use of capitals letters in the correct places [emoji23]
We only needed a band 7, the one section he didn’t get an 8 on was the listening which was the section he’d done a few practice tests on as this part I think the spelling is important. 
I’m not sure what advice to give but to do loads of practice tests, and don’t lose hope, if he doesn’t get it first time keep trying I’m sure he’ll get it eventually. I felt exactly like you that this whole process was going to fail because of a stupid English test which is so infuriating as native English speakers and I’ve see some people get band 8 and 9 and can’t even string a sentence together!

Congratulations on your husband getting the results!! My partner is sitting his 3rd IELTS test next Saturday. We need 8 in every section and unfortunately the last two times he has missed out with the writing only by half a mark getting 7.5. He has got 8.5 an 9’s with the others l. It’s been awful and we’re still really stressed about it. He is practicing like mad and doing writing tests every day. We need the 8’s so we get 20 points to take us to 70 :) ??