Ancestral dependents or register as British citizens

Glen Logan

Hi all,

I'm a British citizen who has lived in Tasmania for the past 15 years with my Australian wife. I haven't applied for Australian citizenship in that time.

We plan to relocate back to Edinburgh later this year.

I have two children - Callum (12) and Hannah (10) who were both born in Hobart.

My wife has ancestral status and has had an ancestral visa in the past. We met in 2000 in Edinburgh.

My question is:

Would it be better for my children to apply with my wife as dependents under her ancestral visa -

or should we register Callum and Hannah as British citizens and apply for British passports for them?

I'm aware what the cost are for dependents under the ancestral visa but not sure how much registration as UK citizens and subsequent passport application costs are.

We aim to leave at the end of July this year.

Any help would be very much appreciated as we are in a quandary as to what course to pursue.

best regards

23 minutes ago, Glen Logan said:

Hi all,

I'm a British citizen who has lived in Tasmania for the past 15 years with my Australian wife. I haven't applied for Australian citizenship in that time.

We plan to relocate back to Edinburgh later this year.

I have two children - Callum (12) and Hannah (10) who were both born in Hobart.

My wife has ancestral status and has had an ancestral visa in the past. We met in 2000 in Edinburgh.

My question is:

Would it be better for my children to apply with my wife as dependents under her ancestral visa -

or should we register Callum and Hannah as British citizens and apply for British passports for them?

I'm aware what the cost are for dependents under the ancestral visa but not sure how much registration as UK citizens and subsequent passport application costs are.

We aim to leave at the end of July this year.

Any help would be very much appreciated as we are in a quandary as to what course to pursue.

best regards

If they are British they don't need visas for the UK.

Presumably you yourself were born in the UK?

If they are legally British, then you need to get British passports for them, you won't be allowed to do anything else.

What a pity you didn't get your Australian citizenship.  You are aware that you won't have the right to return to Australia?  Your PR never expires but your right to re-enter Australia does. I hope you're very sure you'll never, ever want to live in Australia again, even if your kids move back.

If you were born in Britain, then your children are British by descent automatically. 

You don't need to register them - in fact it's not possible to do so if they were born in Australia. You just need to apply for British passports for them.

What others have said, if you were born in the UK then your children are British by descent. There is no UK citizenship to sign up for like there is with the Australian system. You simply apply for their first UK passports. 

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

UK passport applications from overseas are pretty quick and cost the same as in the UK. 

1 minute ago, Quoll said:

Get your Aussie citizenship before you leave. You never know when you might want it.

I'm not sure of the timeframes for a citizenship application at present but doubt it would be done and dusted before a departure later in the year. I'm not expecting mine to be finalised till next year  :/

Just now, snifter said:

I'm not sure of the timeframes for a citizenship application at present but doubt it would be done and dusted before a departure later in the year. I'm not expecting mine to be finalised till next year  :/

Good point, Hobart might be quicker than the mainland big cities. It’s interesting that they’re really slacking off on citizenship processes.

2 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Good point, Hobart might be quicker than the mainland big cities. It’s interesting that they’re really slacking off on citizenship processes.

I've just accepted it is what it is and as I am not going anywhere from Aus then its nothing that really bothers me. Just the travel portion on my visa will expire later in the year so if I want to go overseas then its an RRV till citizenship is all done. However, decided not to make any overseas trips while waiting unless its an emergency in the UK I need to go back for. Just seemed easier all round :)

Be interesting to see if Hobart is a quicker turnaround. 

Archived