Passport help

Melbpom

I'm stuck in a "privacy" loop with the Australian Passport Office and I could use some advice.

The situation is I applied for a passport for my adult profoundly disabled son. Prior to filling in the forms I rang the help line and described his special needs and the fact that even taking a photo was an issue due to him not keeping still and facing the camera directly.

Anyway submitted an application with my best efforts at photography at the local post office on 2nd March.

Then I've been tracking the application progress on line and the current status is "Passport Issued". This is the status since 12th March and has not changed since.

So naturally I ring the passport office on Monday 19th and ask what this means and when will the passport be available for collection. But the person I spoke to said that since the passport is for my son that they need to speak to him because of privacy. I explain has no speech so that's just not possible. They said in that case they'd get the passport office to ring me back. So I said well I'm ringing the passport office and they say no, this is the passport office messaging service and there is no means to ring the passport office directly.

So by Wednesday I've  not received a phone call. I call the help line again and get the same privacy speel and again they said they'd ask the passport office to ring me back. Again no phone call.

So my question is does anyone know what "Passport Issued" actually means? Has it been printed? has it been sent out? On the last call the operator suggested checking with Australia Post but without a tracking number that's not possible.

I'm planning to go into the city to the passport office but I'm flat out and could do without this right now. We are both flying to the UK next week and at this rate we may have to go with out Australian Passport.

Are you male or female, Melbpom?  If you're male, then just ring the helpline again, pretending to be your son.  Alternatively, get a male friend to ring up and pretend to be your son.  

I know it's telling a white lie, but what's the harm? You only need the answer to a simple question.

I've done the same thing for a friend of mine who was very sick, she needed to sort out her mobile phone contract and it couldn't wait. So I just rang up and had the whole conversation as if I was her.

"Passport Issued" means it's been issued and posted out to you (or to your local Post Office, whichever you nominated).  I believe that tracking system tracks the passport only up until it's sent out.   If you want to track where it is in the postal service, you need to follow these instructions:

"" If you believe your passport has been delayed, please call the Australian Passport Information Service (APIS) on 131 232 and quote your application number.  APIS will provide you with a tracking reference number.  You can then track the delivery of your passport on www.auspost.com.au."

However again, I think you'd have to pretend to be your son to get that info.

Edited by Marisawright

Hi Marisa, I'm female and therefore the request to speak to son. I don't think a male friend would work because I have already made it very clear that he can't speak and they track the conversation so it would be difficult to explain how he could now speak.

16 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Passport Issued" means it's been issued and posted out to you (or to your local Post Office, whichever you nominated).  I believe that tracking system tracks the passport only up until it's sent out.   If you want to track where it is in the postal service, you need to follow these instructions:

This is a bit concerning because I have had no email to say it was being posted out and besides that I asked if I could collect it from the Passport Office at Docklands thinking it would speed the process up if I collected it.

I think I will have to go into the city and try to get an answer but thank you for your reply.

I had to renew mine last month. I got email saying passport complete & to allow one week for home delivery by registered mail if in oz or two days if picking up from post office. did you check to see if its at the post office waiting collection?

I found the email i got & this is what is said

The Australian Passport Office is pleased to advise that your passport is about to be printed and despatched. If collecting in person, bring a copy of this email and photo identification with you.

When you receive your passport – check the photo page and make sure that all your personal details are correct.

Please refer to the table below regarding when you can expect to receive your passport.

Preference

Delivery Time from Today

More Information

I have chosen to have my passport mailed to me

Australia

Allow at least 1 week

Sent by Registered Mail.  If Priority Processing Fee is paid, passport will be despatched by Priority Registered Mail.  Both require signature on delivery.

Overseas

Allow at least 1 week

Signature on delivery may be required.

Overseas – Priority Processing Fee (London only)

Allow 2 business days

Signature on delivery is required

Collection Time from Today

I have chosen to personally collect my passport

Australia

Allow 2 business days

Passport will be available for collection from your local passport office. Please bring this email and photo identification with you.*

Overseas

Allow at least 1 week

Collect from the Australian diplomatic mission or consulate where you lodged your application.  Please bring this email and photo identification with you.*

Overseas – Priority Processing Fee (London only)

Ready for collection

Collection between 3.30pm and 4pm, please bring your receipt and photo identification with you.

**If collecting a child passport – to avoid delay, please bring a copy of the email advising the child’s passport is ready for collection.

19 minutes ago, Melbpom said:

Hi Marisa, I'm female and therefore the request to speak to son. I don't think a male friend would work because I have already made it very clear that he can't speak and they track the conversation so it would be difficult to explain how he could now speak.

This is a bit concerning because I have had no email to say it was being posted out and besides that I asked if I could collect it from the Passport Office at Docklands thinking it would speed the process up if I collected it.

I think I will have to go into the city and try to get an answer but thank you for your reply.

Have you checked your spam folder/junk folder to make sure the email isn't in there?    Of course, they could have put a typo in your name and sent the email to the wrong address.  

I've just checked the spam/junk folder locally and on the server and there's nothing there. I've had acknowledgement of my application by email so I'm fairly sure that's not the issue.

I also just spoken with Australia Post and they directed me back to the passport service to get a tracking number.

Nothing left to do but to go into office tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Melbpom said:

I've just checked the spam/junk folder locally and on the server and there's nothing there. I've had acknowledgement of my application by email so I'm fairly sure that's not the issue.

I also just spoken with Australia Post and they directed me back to the passport service to get a tracking number.

Nothing left to do but to go into office tomorrow.

Looks like it.  Australia Post can't do anything without the tracking number, and the only people who have that are the people who sent it.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Can't you just wait for it to be delivered ?

Because I selected to pick it up from the Passport Office in an attempt to save time. I was told by the Post Office that it takes an additional 2 days to post and that I had the option to collect from Docklands instead.

My query to the APIS was what was the status of the passport given that on the web site it said "Passport Issued" and I had received no notification. But as I've mentioned they can't tell me that and mentioned that I would have to get Power of Attorney even though this had never been raised previously. Getting PoA in this timescale will be impossible.

• Like 1