EOIs and skillset vs sponsorship

KattD

Hi everyone,

I'm new here.  I hope its ok to start up a new thread like this....

I contact a MARA agent to help with the confusing and ever changing visa situation.  His help was invaluable.

Unfortunately my occupation (student Counsellor) is now only on the STSL but it is on the QLD list of occupations shortages.

I asked about doing an EOI for QLD (with a view to a 190 visa) and this was his reply: 

While you can complete an EOI and in theory be selected from SkillSelect by an employer interested in your skill set, in reality this is government rhetoric and there is no reliable evidence to show that this process works.

I wondered what people thought and whether anyone on here has or knows someone who has been successful via EOI and skillset?

Instead I'm going out to volunteer in a community centre (ie proper volunteer position) on a tourist visa and see if I can find a sponsor.

If anyone also has any advice on getting sponsorship whilst in Australia I'm all ears! :)

Many thanks

Kat

2 hours ago, KattD said:

I spoke to the Aussie border agency who said I could but it had to be an official volunteer position and could not be for longer than 6 months?

They might be correct, but ts an unusual question and thus the chances of them being right are slimmer!

Phone a good registered agent (there are some on this site) and check it with them. Much more reliable.

43 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

They might be correct, but ts an unusual question and thus the chances of them being right are slimmer!

Phone a good registered agent (there are some on this site) and check it with them. Much more reliable.

(I meant 3 months not 6)

Thanks will do.