Moving from a 457 visa to a Partner Visa

weekendpaper

Hi all,

First time poster but have seen some conflicting posts on this subject.

I'm currently on a 457 visa which my org has been good enough to sponsor me for.

I've also been in the workforce long enough to know that jobs don't last forever too, and that in all likelihood there will be some down scaling in the business I work in, especially in my area of work (Learning and Development).

So, with that in mind - I've got an Australian partner, we've been together almost two years:

Does it make sense to move to a Partner visa? Have the security of the more permanent visa and not beholden to my org (but will be to my partner haha!)

Are there any restrictions from moving from a 457 to a Partner visa?

Appreciate the cost involved in getting a Partner Visa, not cheap.

Any advice much appreciated.

5 hours ago, weekendpaper said:

Hi all,

First time poster but have seen some conflicting posts on this subject.

I'm currently on a 457 visa which my org has been good enough to sponsor me for.

I've also been in the workforce long enough to know that jobs don't last forever too, and that in all likelihood there will be some down scaling in the business I work in, especially in my area of work (Learning and Development).

So, with that in mind - I've got an Australian partner, we've been together almost two years:

Does it make sense to move to a Partner visa? Have the security of the more permanent visa and not beholden to my org (but will be to my partner haha!)

Are there any restrictions from moving from a 457 to a Partner visa?

Appreciate the cost involved in getting a Partner Visa, not cheap.

Any advice much appreciated.

Makes sense to get a partner visa, do you have any other route to PR? You are only beholden to your partner for the first two years or so, until PR is granted. Then you are a free agent.

Will your 457 employment restrictions continue while on the bridging visa waiting for the partner visa to process? That's what popped into my head. When does your 457 end? 

Yes, you can apply for a partner visa while on a 457.

You will have issues if you lose your job before the bridging visa becomes active after the 457.

This can be a complex area which often causes applicants to become unlawful and end up on a very restrictive bridging visa E.

Some professional guidance may be wise.

1 hour ago, Raul Senise said:

Yes, you can apply for a partner visa while on a 457.

You will have issues if you lose your job before the bridging visa becomes active after the 457.

This can be a complex area which often causes applicants to become unlawful and end up on a very restrictive bridging visa E.

Some professional guidance may be wise.

I 2nd Raul's advice, my daughter got herself into a real mess in the same scenario as the OP. when she left her 457 job. She ended up on the dreaded bridging visa E no work or travel rights, and I think I am right time spent in Oz before BVE then doesn't count for residency. She and her partner pleaded for  financial hardship and quite a few months later the work restrictions were lifted, but it was a tough time financially.

6 years later she has PR and applied for citizenship but it was a very stressful time. 

Thanks to all for your advice, much appreciated.

I'm in no rush or even considering leaving my job, just thinking more long term (could have coincided with a birthday haha) and the (relative) security that  partner visa would offer, but had heard various stories about bridging visas etc.

Will have a chat with a migration agent!