Awful Visa Agent - what can we do?

samlab

Hi, Any ideas on what we can do? 

With 3 months today left on our 457 visas we can apply for PR in mid Feb through the transitional stream. (changed sponsor half way through)

The company sponsoring us have there own approved visa agent, that we have to use. They refuse to provide the company information to any other agent.

We can’t afford delays in submitting our application so we started the process in October 2017. Unfortunately with the exception of signing the engagement letter we are no further forward! 

I’ve made frequent calls and emails to them. I normally get an answer machine but when they do pick up they apologise and say they have had “staff issue” We have been allocated a new visa agent from “the team” but she is yet to make contact and it’s been 3 weeks now. 

What can we do? 

Do you think we should get independent advise?  I finally spoke to the agent today and I’m even more worried now. Basically because our 457 visa runs out in April we’re not a priority to her. She said everybody  is trying to apply for PR before March because of the changes. Then recommend another 457 to take the pressure off. We have a 20 year old son that is included 457 and she said he can be included in the new one if we apply before he’s 21. Not sure that’s true or if the new 457 give more restrictions on us becoming residents? We really would prefer not to do that if possible.

Would someone mind explaining the visa application process for me?

Im told it’s a two part process where the employer nominates  and then we apply. Does the employer’s nomination need to be approved first and If so what is the timeframe for approval? 

Thanks in advance 

15 hours ago, samlab said:

Do you think we should get independent advise?  I finally spoke to the agent today and I’m even more worried now. Basically because our 457 visa runs out in April we’re not a priority to her. She said everybody  is trying to apply for PR before March because of the changes. Then recommend another 457 to take the pressure off. We have a 20 year old son that is included 457 and she said he can be included in the new one if we apply before he’s 21. Not sure that’s true or if the new 457 give more restrictions on us becoming residents? We really would prefer not to do that if possible.

Would someone mind explaining the visa application process for me?

Im told it’s a two part process where the employer nominates  and then we apply. Does the employer’s nomination need to be approved first and If so what is the timeframe for approval? 

Thanks in advance 

These are really questions you should be discussing with an Agent who knows your situation and can provide advice which is specific to you.

Considering that processing times for 457 visas have now blown out to 7 to 10 months, not sure of such a delay would be necessary or advisable in your situation.

Your son may be able to be included in a new 457 however, be mindful that the advice in regards to your son's age is not correct.

The employer nomination process (sc186) consists of nomination and visa applications. They are normally lodged together to save time.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much. My thoughts exactly about another 457 glad you confirmed that. 

So the advise about the 186 was wrong too! 

The agent told me she had such a heavy work load that “people’s visas were running out today and she hadn’t lodge the application’s”

Zero confidence in the agent. 

We feel trapped! She said the company will only give financial information to them. 

My husband is asking the company if they will allow us to use our own independent agent as a one off. 

1 hour ago, samlab said:

Thank you so much. My thoughts exactly about another 457 glad you confirmed that. 

So the advise about the 186 was wrong too! 

The agent told me she had such a heavy work load that “people’s visas were running out today and she hadn’t lodge the application’s”

Zero confidence in the agent. 

We feel trapped! She said the company will only give financial information to them. 

My husband is asking the company if they will allow us to use our own independent agent as a one off. 

Considering that the work involved in subclass 457 nomination and visa applications is now similar to a subclass 186 nomination and visa application, I don't see how doing a subclass 457 will save any time. It will only add unnecessary costs.

• Thanks 1