Electrician thinking of moving out there

Matt15

Hey. New on here so apologies in advance if I’m repeating anything. I’m a self employed electrician, have been for 5 years or so. Did my apprenticeship when I was 19 and been doing electrics since. Although I like to think I’m quite good on most things. I’ve got nvq 3 although this may mean nothing. I’m after some info on what training I would need to do to become an electrician over in oz. I have also thought about doing an air conditioning/refrigeration course which I thought would be of benefit also. Many thanks 

As Liam says, you'll need deep pockets.   To even apply to emigrate, you need a certain level of qualifications and experience.   However, that's just immigration's way of checking that you're a suitable candidate.  Once you get to Australia, you'll find you have to apply for your qualifications to be recognized all over again - and for most trades, that means working for a year at apprentice rates before you can get your licence.

So, when deciding whether you can afford to emigrate, you'll need to factor in six months to find a job, then twelve months working at apprentice rates, before you'll be able to set up in business again and start building a decent income.  Plus, of course, the costs of shipping your stuff, a holiday flat for four to six weeks while you find a place to live, new furniture etc, car (they're more expensive here), etc.

6 hours ago, Matt15 said:

What would an apprentice rate be roughly if know. Also if I was to start completely from scratch what trade would you suggest or is an electrician as good as any 

No idea, sorry, the link below might help.   If you want to apply to emigrate, then you must have an occupation that's on the list, you must have the qualifications they say, AND you must have substantial experience.  So if you retrain as something else, then you'll have to get your qualification and then you'll have to work at that job for two or three years before Immigration will even consider you.  

When I came to Australia, you could get off the plane and walk into a job.  Nowadays, it's not so easy and many migrants find they take months to find work, even if they're told their skills are in demand. The unemployment rate in Australia is much the same as the UK now. 

Here's some information about what you need to do to migrate. 

http://www.gmskilled.com/electrician-migration-to-australia/

Bear in mind that's just to get your visa. It doesn't qualify you to work in Australia at all, and you'll still have to do your time to get your licence once you're in the country.  

https://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/minimum-wages/apprentice-and-trainee-pay-rates

Hey mate I'm an electrician in the visa process now nearing the end hopefully. Heads up, it's a long process!! Give the down under centre a ring in London. They were my first stepping stone in the whole process for a skills assessment. They can guide you through the bare minimum what you'll need. Any expert accurate advice, id recommend a migration agent which is at a cost. I started the process last January and im still in the UK. Ive lived and worked in Aus as a spark for a few years so im lucky to have contacts and job opportunities to go back to at full rate, without the worry of apprentice wages which are normally minimum at $18 p/h. What year did you get your NVQ?

There's a thought, Matt. Are you still young enough to apply for a Working Holiday Visa?   It's very easy to get one of those.  It lets you come over to Australia for one or two years and work.  You have to go home at the end of that time, but it would give you a chance to suss the country out and make some contacts , like Woody did, which would make life a lot easier when you eventually migrate.

• Like 1

Yes, a WHV is a good idea. Doing an electrical assessment with the DUC has also been mentioned, which is all good, but do check your overall points and visa eligibility to make sure you are definitely eligible to begin with. There's no point in having a positive skills assessment if it turns out you are not eligible to emigrate anyway.

Best thing is to take a bit of time and do your own research or ask a registered agent to give you a no obligation assessment of your options.

Regards,

Richard

19 hours ago, Matt15 said:

Are those Australian emigration seminars that are about any good. Was thinking of going to one to have a chat. I don’t mind changing career slightly or diversifying what I do. 

As we have already explained, changing careers is a solution BUT do you understand that you can't just head off to Australia as soon as you're qualified.  You need to spend a few years working in your new field, too, because they will demand experience.   So you're talking a long-term strategy, not an easy fix.

I would talk to an agent rather than go to an emigration seminar.  Make sure they're MARA registered.

Edited by Marisawright

Oh. That’s fine. I’ll prob stick to electrician but diversify in mean time also while still sparking.  I’ll look into agents. Was just I see about some of these seminars and thought about going. It seems a bit of a minefield and hoop jumping getting into oz

18 minutes ago, Matt15 said:

I’ll look into agents. Was just I see about some of these seminars and thought about going. It seems a bit of a minefield and hoop jumping getting into oz

It's pretty straightforward actually, IF you qualify to migrate.  If you do, then the only hard bit is making sense of all the forms (which is where an agent can be a great help). 

What some people don't realise is that there are thousands of hard-working, highly-qualified, very experienced people in the UK who have absolutely NO hope of ever migrating because they're not eligible.  Those people think it's a minefield because they're just refusing to believe it can't be done - they keep thinking there's got to be a way around it, but there isn't.

So, the first thing is to check your eligibility so you don't waste time.   Richard replied to your post - he's an agent.  Give him a call.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1