Urgent support needed!

Guest Morag

Guest Morag

We leave on 29th July, house sale just fallen through decided to rent and had found a family to rent our home for 12 months and that has just fallen through. Have spent the morning crying thinking how are we going to do this we have about £10k to take with us after flights and shipping costs. We are doing a house sit for the first 7 weeks in Eltham so we can save on rent but we have also got a son in uni over here and will have to pay for him to fly backwards and forwards. It's just all too much at the moment and feel like giving the whole dream up. Got our leaving party this weekend and feel like cancelling it. Any words of comfort/support/advice would be much appreciated. Off to get another tissue

Morag... sob, sob

Guest creakybones

HI Morag

So sorry to hear about the problems your having with your house. Afraid I can't offer any advise but sending a MASSIVE HUG hoping it will make you feel better. Things are bound to change soon so keep your chin up. Have you tried using an agent to rent your house?

Guest Morag

Thanks for the virtual hug.... we have gone through an agent to rent the house out. Just really worried that we don't have enough money to take with us and we will be on to plums as they say before we even start - completely skint but with a load of equity we can't get at in the UK... really frustrating and feel everything is stacked against us....

Morag

Guest creakybones

We sold our house 2 years ago as we were wrongly told that we needed to show we had at least 50,000 in the bank before the application would be accepted. We even sold the furniture!! Needless to say with how long the process has taken we needed to rent and buy new furniture which, has taken a massive chunk of our savings. We will only be going over with about £14,000 and intend to take any job we can to get ourselves on our feet (whilst still looking for other jobs).

We know we will have to rent now rather than buy for some time but, I still want to be there and not here and I'm determined to make it work - even if I'm living in a tent and scraping bins !! LOL

Everything has a way of working out hun, even if sometimes you think the light at the end of the tunnel is a hallucination.

Maria

You poor thing. Don't panic. It can still work out even though it's not the plan you had originally.

Can you borrow some money to tide you over whilst you wait for the house to sell/rent? I know that's a pretty bold thing to suggest but it may only be a year you need to borrow it for.

I don't think anyone is having a good time with the house business at the mo. I know how it feels when things fall through. Granted it hasn't happened to me when I am relying on the money to emigrate but it is still an awful gut wrenching feeling.

I wish I could help.

Kate

Guest Shell

Hi Morag,

so sorry you are having such a bad time at the moment. Can't help with advice but sending you xx lots of hugs xx to help cheer you up.

We are also trying to sell the house been on market scince Feb and had only a few views. All our money for Oz is tied up in it and what little savings we had have gone on visa process & agents fees.

Hope you get a tennant or sale soon.

Shell xx

Guest Morag

Just keep thinking that years ago people paid £10 to go on a boat to Oz and they had nothing to take with them... we will both have to work more or less straight away which isn't ideal as we have 2 children, one 7 and one 3 so my idea of having a bit of time off and being a full time mum looks like it won't happen. Will just have to make the most of the weekends though and no doubt our rental will be that small at least I won't have too much housework. Suppose there are some postives in all of this somewhere....

Morag

Don't worry we had similar issues with our house!

The fist couple that were going to rent it even paid their deposit and then pulled out, I was gutted.

It rented again quite easily (remember if it was wanted by someone, there must be someone else out there who will want it).

Chin up and see you soon down under!!!

Guest Morag

Thanks girls for all your support ... good luck to you all too, will let you know if it works out.

Morag x

Guest Brickie
Just keep thinking that years ago people paid £10 to go on a boat to Oz and they had nothing to take with them... .

And before that they got a free ride.....:policeman::twitcy: but they had a loaf of bread.....

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Morag

You could always advertise your house for rental on here, there may be people who have sold their property but cannot get to Oz immediately and need a stop gap. I am sure you will find someone else to rent it quite soon. Keep your head up, you are nearly there. Big Hugs.

Guest Morag

Things are a bit more postive today - got a call at 3.30pm yesterday to say that the people who wanted to rent were back on and wanted to come for a second look. Came at 6pm and looks positive, fingers crossed. Also had someone else come to look at the house to buy last night and they have put in an offer that is alot lower than we wanted but we accepted. Just waiting to here from them but if that falls through it looks as if we have got some renters and we will just have to be really watch the pennies when we get there. We are going to give our best shot to make it work and just not think too far ahead. Thanks again for all your messages of support - it is such an emotional rollercoster - would just be easier if we won the lottery I suppose!

Morag x

Guest creakybones
Things are a bit more postive today - got a call at 3.30pm yesterday to say that the people who wanted to rent were back on and wanted to come for a second look. Came at 6pm and looks positive, fingers crossed. Also had someone else come to look at the house to buy last night and they have put in an offer that is alot lower than we wanted but we accepted. Just waiting to here from them but if that falls through it looks as if we have got some renters and we will just have to be really watch the pennies when we get there. We are going to give our best shot to make it work and just not think too far ahead. Thanks again for all your messages of support - it is such an emotional rollercoster - would just be easier if we won the lottery I suppose!

Morag x

Hi Morag

Glad things are looking more positive for you today. Your right about the rollercoaster bit, it certainly does have its ups and downs. Try to keep positive what will be will be.

Maria

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chris and jayne
We leave on 29th July, house sale just fallen through decided to rent and had found a family to rent our home for 12 months and that has just fallen through. Have spent the morning crying thinking how are we going to do this we have about £10k to take with us after flights and shipping costs. We are doing a house sit for the first 7 weeks in Eltham so we can save on rent but we have also got a son in uni over here and will have to pay for him to fly backwards and forwards. It's just all too much at the moment and feel like giving the whole dream up. Got our leaving party this weekend and feel like cancelling it. Any words of comfort/support/advice would be much appreciated. Off to get another tissue

Morag... sob, sob

Hello Morag, The same happened to us, we were just about to leave and our house sale fell through and we rented it out as well for 12 months, We landed in melbourne around 7 weeks ago and had £10k, You will need to be careful but we have done it and we had to spend out on serviced apartments (which cost a bomb) You will beable to get credit straight away as we got a car with no issues at all on credit.

two things for you, 1) its not the time to sell in the UK, Who knows what a year or two will bring to the UK market and 2) if you want it badly enough you can do it! Keep the dream alive and trust your gut, I promise its worth it!

Any problems or Questiosn let us know

Chris and Jayne x

Morag... sob, sob

Hi

If it helps we came in Feb with 10 grand (sorry no pound sign) and there is no house for sale. We managed are in a rental going to go for an house when pr aponsored application is accepted, Will be a VERY big mortgage for us and im the half century this year. We have a daughter in the uk who is like any other money money money, get him to get a job and save towards the airfares . You learn how to adapt to your means if you need a motor get a second hand we got a 96 Hyundai $4000 does the job okn its not neew and flash so it can be done

go for it

Malx

Guest Morag

Chris and Jayne, Mal

Thank you so so much for your messages...I am beginning to feel excited... house is now rented out for 12 months, had leaving party on Saturday (as well as 3 christenings and a marriage blessing, tight Scottish bird and all that!)... was a really good doo and Alice our 7 year old, had all her little friends round for a party today from school. Got my nieces from Scotland staying until tomorrow and then I have to give them their last cuddle for a while! But we are getting excited now and just can't wait to get on the plane. Trying to sell the car and last few bits and bobs... decided to remortgage on a 'buy to let' mortgage arrangement and take some equity from the house as a stand by - probably not the best idea with just over 2 weeks to go but in the end we thought f'it (excuse language!!). Bank account set up today.

You are all such an inspiration and your messages are just what I needed today... Chris and Jayne, what part of Melbourne are you in and where did you get your car from - did you have to have a job to get credit??

Thanks again guys.. will keep you posted , haven't quite raised the share price for Kleenex but hey there is just over 2 weeks to go...

Morag x

Ah Morag, bless your heart, glad things are more positive and you are on the up,

be positive and I wish you all the luck and happiness when you arrive in Oz, so much can change in such a short time make the most of every day, even the crap ones cos

you never know what tomorrow will bring, I hope that you get what you dream of and

that things are good for you and your family.

God Bless you

Lori x:jiggy:

Guest chris and jayne
Hello Morag, The same happened to us, we were just about to leave and our house sale fell through and we rented it out as well for 12 months, We landed in melbourne around 7 weeks ago and had £10k, You will need to be careful but we have done it and we had to spend out on serviced apartments (which cost a bomb) You will beable to get credit straight away as we got a car with no issues at all on credit.

two things for you, 1) its not the time to sell in the UK, Who knows what a year or two will bring to the UK market and 2) if you want it badly enough you can do it! Keep the dream alive and trust your gut, I promise its worth it!

Any problems or Questiosn let us know

Chris and Jayne x

Hello

we are in the Bay area (east coast), Its really nice but its a bit expensive as its on the coast. If you go inland a bit it is cheaper but we didnt come to live inland, we want the seaside! (as my 3 year old says).

yes I had a job but I didnt start for three weeks, we are on a 457 visa, bring your details for your rental market as over here they count that as revenue or an income which is good. Also you soon find where is best to shop as well, get your fruit from the fruit and veg shops and your meat from the butchers, bread from the bakers etc, much cheaper than the big supermarkets. also look out for the markets as well, Vic market is big, south melbourne market is good as well.

If your coming on a 457 visa apply for a living away from home allowance straight away, Its gives you around a $1000 a month extra income! Happy days.

We got our car from the Toyota dealership on the nepean highway, we just got a little Toyota yarris so that Jayne can wizz around whilst I am at work, she loves it, although fuel is cheaper here, it is going up, DONT BE TEMPTED BY THERE MASSIVE 6LT ENGINES!

Make sure you get a house that has heating, its Frickin freezing at the moment! jayne is currently on the sofa with a blaket over here and a hot water bottle!

I hope it all goes well, good luck and remember,,,,,,,,, Its only 12000 miles to swim back if it doesnt work out! lol

Sure you will love it, we do!

Guest Morag
Hello

we are in the Bay area (east coast), Its really nice but its a bit expensive as its on the coast. If you go inland a bit it is cheaper but we didnt come to live inland, we want the seaside! (as my 3 year old says).

yes I had a job but I didnt start for three weeks, we are on a 457 visa, bring your details for your rental market as over here they count that as revenue or an income which is good. Also you soon find where is best to shop as well, get your fruit from the fruit and veg shops and your meat from the butchers, bread from the bakers etc, much cheaper than the big supermarkets. also look out for the markets as well, Vic market is big, south melbourne market is good as well.

If your coming on a 457 visa apply for a living away from home allowance straight away, Its gives you around a $1000 a month extra income! Happy days.

We got our car from the Toyota dealership on the nepean highway, we just got a little Toyota yarris so that Jayne can wizz around whilst I am at work, she loves it, although fuel is cheaper here, it is going up, DONT BE TEMPTED BY THERE MASSIVE 6LT ENGINES!

Make sure you get a house that has heating, its Frickin freezing at the moment! jayne is currently on the sofa with a blaket over here and a hot water bottle!

I hope it all goes well, good luck and remember,,,,,,,,, Its only 12000 miles to swim back if it doesnt work out! lol

You sound as if you have really settled in well. We are on an independant 136 Visa so don't think we will get the living away from home allowance. Thanks for the advice and hope it contiues to go well for you.

Morag

Guest Wallace

Really sorry to hear about your troubles Morag. We hope things start looking brighter for you soon! Hang in there it will all be worth it in the end!! :)

Guest Carl&Lisa
Hello

Hey Chris and Jayne,

Just asking about the living away from home allowance, we are on the way to melbourne on a 457, my job is in Oakleighn not far from you. We have been looking at places in and around Bentleigh. How did you find out about this allowance, what criteria do you need and who is the allowance from, if you don't mind me asking. I have not heard of this before and if you claim it does it restrict you from anything, ie is it a benifit??

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Guest traybears

hi Morag,everything Seems To Be A Nightmare At The Mo Doesn't It.to Start With We Thought We Were Going With Loads Of Money But Now Just Over Half What We Thought.and We Still Need To Sell The House.but Im Sure Things Will Work Out Just Fine For Us All .because We Want It Too,we'll Make It Work.good Luck To You,tracy.xx.

Archived