Welfare benefits stripped from migrants

Peach

10 hours ago, CeltInCaulfield said:

If there's a commitment to the country you've moved to, do you really need more than one citizenship?

I don't see how that comes into it really. I had citizenship from my country of birth then I took out Australian citizenship, I saw no benefit in actually renouncing my British citizenship as it was simply there in the background. Bear in mind also that things change over the years, people who were once settled decide to return to their home country. At the end of the day its a piece of paper, it isn't what shapes your commitment. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2017 at 15:45, Paul1Perth said:

That's strange 'cos when we came in 92 we got unemployment benefit, rent relief and free day care for our 2 year old whilst we went job hunting.

We didn't know we would till we got here and friends we stayed with brought us forms and told us to get to Centrlink in Freo. They were really helpful.

My wife got a job after a couple of weeks so most of it stopped though. 

Made a nice change from queuing up for dole payouts in Clay Cross, which was just like the scene from the Full Monty. 

Here we sat in a nice waiting room watching the TV till the guy interviewed us in his office and told us everyting we could claim for. We were amazed.

Interesting that you received all that support as we came in 1991 and were told we could not claim anything for five years when we went to check out Centrelink. 

18 hours ago, Rossmoyne said:

Interesting that you received all that support as we came in 1991 and were told we could not claim anything for five years when we went to check out Centrelink. 

There have always been some benefits available to PR holders, albeit the unemployment one etc does require you to be here 5 years (or at least did). We recieved Family Tax benefits A and B when we arrived for quite a while when i wasnt working, that would have been 2007-ish . 

I did relocations for a few years and people could get Family Tax Benefit, Rent Assistance, schoold kid bonus and child care allowance. I even know some who were issued Healthcare cards due to low incomes when they had first moved here. This was QLD though, not sure on other States.

Cal x

On 21/12/2017 at 08:59, CeltInCaulfield said:

If there's a commitment to the country you've moved to, do you really need more than one citizenship?

Sure CC. We have dual citizenship even after 36 years here. A matter of convenience for us because we travel so much. Sometimes we use the Australian passport, sometimes the EU passport, depending which is best for the country we are entering. Sometimes the visa fees are a lot cheaper for one and not the other. 

• 2 weeks later...
On Friday, December 22, 2017 at 21:14, Rossmoyne said:

Don't understand why not. What visa did you come on? Were you renting and unemployed? 

We didn't know we would be able to get anything and were really pleasantly surprised. Maybe someone at centrelink gave you bad info or maybe you had too much cash available.

• Like 1

On Saturday, December 30, 2017 at 17:27, Celt Down Under said:

Sure CC. We have dual citizenship even after 36 years here. A matter of convenience for us because we travel so much. Sometimes we use the Australian passport, sometimes the EU passport, depending which is best for the country we are entering. Sometimes the visa fees are a lot cheaper for one and not the other. 

There's the added cost of two passports though. Too expensive for us to think about.