I'm planning a holiday in Perth, first time back in 21 years.....

MARYROSE02

11 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

Quite agree. My overall favourite 'destination' with still a lot of gaps to fill in. Although I called into many ports when working the West African coast, many decades back I only really saw the cities of the West Coast, with not a lot of insight really into any of those countries and have never been on The East Coast. I later years travelled in Senegal and Togo , but still want especially to do Benin.  Really enjoy Namibia though and know South Africa rather well. Lived there in the seventies , shipped around there, cruised there twice and have driven over a good portion of it. Never been to Zambia nor Botswana , something I really need to rectify. I've done Morocco and Egypt as a traveller and again on a cruise. Ghana another country wanting to go and especially the island of Madagascar. Perhaps the latter never happens.

Suggest you avoid Madagascar till the reported plague is under control.

19 hours ago, Keith and Linda said:

We have not yet had poor company on a cruise dining table, and we always request to sit at a table of 8-10, however I do suppose we could yet meet up on a cruise I would then most likely concur;)

I agree the larger tables of 8 to 10 are preferable if unable to secure one as a couple. The latter are usually reserved and quickly taken up by the 'exclusive set', to which on the last Princess vessel was on consisted of well over half the passengers aboard. That also includes free internet and free washing /laundry services.

It depends just to what degree one is prepared to put up with certain 'old school' opinions on a table. I prefer to try and diffuse a 'situation' by suggesting politics be left out. Same as I prefer mixed nationalities.

11 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

I agree the larger tables of 8 to 10 are preferable if unable to secure one as a couple. The latter are usually reserved and quickly taken up by the 'exclusive set', to which on the last Princess vessel was on consisted of well over half the passengers aboard. That also includes free internet and free washing /laundry services.

It depends just to what degree one is prepared to put up with certain 'old school' opinions on a table. I prefer to try and diffuse a 'situation' by suggesting politics be left out. Same as I prefer mixed nationalities.

Funny really but I did not bother with internet on first cruise and on  second one I HAD to have it though I was also trying to keep up with an Open University unit.

I think P and Ö might be better value at least compared to Carnival,  both equal in terms of service. I'm sure my on board bill for two weeks this year $860 was less than in 2015. I met two young guys who told me their bill was nearly 10 000! But they had all you can drink package.

I met people from all over OZ,  mostly at dinner,  Sat down one night with a retired pastor and his wife from SA. then two middle aged guys arrived who turned out to be priests in NSW. I met couple from Alice Springs and two young guys I mentioned also live there. I sat with a couple one dinner and came across the guy in the adults only deck at the stern and we are now FB friends as I am with the two young guys.

1 hour ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Funny really but I did not bother with internet on first cruise and on  second one I HAD to have it though I was also trying to keep up with an Open University unit.

I think P and Ö might be better value at least compared to Carnival,  both equal in terms of service. I'm sure my on board bill for two weeks this year $860 was less than in 2015. I met two young guys who told me their bill was nearly 10 000! But they had all you can drink package.

I met people from all over OZ,  mostly at dinner,  Sat down one night with a retired pastor and his wife from SA. then two middle aged guys arrived who turned out to be priests in NSW. I met couple from Alice Springs and two young guys I mentioned also live there. I sat with a couple one dinner and came across the guy in the adults only deck at the stern and we are now FB friends as I am with the two young guys.

We don't bother with internet either, just went on the ships computer on the last day to check-in for the flights, just cannot see the need in doing what you do every other day of the year when not on holiday, after al aren't holidays about getting away from it all? Over the years we have seen the overall quality of cruises drop, Our first cruise on Princess was undoubtedly the best, then did a few Royal Caribbean before a Princess again, but found that Caribbean had the edge but still short of the first cruise. Celebrity though supposed to be a half star or so better were in the end a let down and should be half star or so lower. the value from a drinks package I suppose depends on the drinker but we had the drinks package (as part of the deal) on our last cruise as we had 5 days at sea so had all day to enjoy whatever drinks available, they did run out of our favorite wine to have with dinner (and non available on the first day either.....Celebrity) our ship bills always come below the $1000 mark, less last time due to the drinks package. Never had bad company at the dining table yet, politics, religion, sport and weather talked about too!

That last cruise was 3 to 17 August just as EPL season was beginning and I needed to check multiple times to see if Spurs had bought any new players as they left it late. 

I missed first game too, unaware I could have watched it in my cabin until I came back and another game was on.

I watched the Swans with a Spurs supporting old lady from SA.

I had also just started an English unit with the OU and kept up with the reading on my phone though not the lectures. I ended up withdrawing from that unit. 

I bought the papers in Fiji a couple of times and picked up a,heap of stuff,  brochures,  real estate, etc in Noumea where I have a hankering to stay for a,few weeks.

The ship produced a daily news digest too I think. 

I probably succumbed to the Daily Mail on line too!

9 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

That last cruise was 3 to 17 August just as EPL season was beginning and I needed to check multiple times to see if Spurs had bought any new players as they left it late. 

I missed first game too, unaware I could have watched it in my cabin until I came back and another game was on.

I had also just started an English unit with the OU and kept up with the reading on my phone though not the lectures. I ended up withdrawing from that unit. 

I bought the papers in Fiji a couple of times and picked up a,heap of stuff,  brochures,  real estate, etc in Noumea where I have a hankering to stay for a,few weeks.

Can't honestly believe that knowing things about Spurs, and especially Spurs;) that a few more days would have mattered? I was on a cruise when Rudd got ousted by Gillard loads of folk on board asking me about it, couldn't help them said I have better things to think about on my holiday.

4 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Internet rather essential. As plan where to go and what to do in a port, if unfamiliar,  days before arriving . Decide whether to do it ourselves or arrange a local tour. As mentioned what ship offers, often inferior, not to say over expensive.

P & O while may be cheaper, do not tend to get a good rap. Yep. Certainly meet people from all over OZ. A lot of Kiwi's on last cruise as well. A large number of Poms living in OZ or NZ noticeable as well. Increasingly more Chinese though some resided in either of previous mentioned countries.

1 hour ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I've had the UK' Indy', delivered to my cabin daily on one voyage but usually make do with the ships, minimal news sheet. It is usually tailored to suit the clientele. UK, NZ, OZ versions have all been available.

Another thing worth remembering, if required, purchase $US prior to boarding. Ship rate being very bad.

4 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I changed my mind about motel in Applecross,  really my friend changed my mind   and now I think I'm thinking of an apartment hotel in South Perth,  only a,few minutes from Applecross,  can't think of the name.  I sent an enquiry but it seems ok. 

South Perth will be far better. Close to the ferry to the CBD and a very pleasant way to transverse to and forth.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Keith and Linda said:

Can't honestly believe that knowing things about Spurs, and especially Spurs;) that a few more days would have mattered? I was on a cruise when Rudd got ousted by Gillard loads of folk on board asking me about it, couldn't help them said I have better things to think about on my holiday.

It's my addiction, apart from VB. I HAVE to know what is happening! This weekend I am cursing the loathsome international break which occurs every three weeks. Sod the internationals. In fact, sod the Ashes too. I'm more interested in the Big Bash!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pura Vida said:

South Perth will be far better. Close to the ferry to the CBD and a very pleasant way to transverse to and forth.

Yes, I think I"m going with this one - http://assuredhotels.com.au/ $3780 for 28 nights - they sent me an email. It seems to be about half way between city and Applecross and I'll have car.

I was thinking about my flight - trying to decide if I should pay for it with my Qantas frequent flyer points, I have enough, or keep them for a later, hoped for upgrade to business class if I fly to the UK. On the other hand I may just get rid of them. I pay for both the Visa card and the Qantas frequent flyer and I'm an infrequent traveller.

2 hours ago, Bobj said:

Next trip, @MARYROSE02 ? North Queensland?

Anyway, have fun in the sun...

Cheers, Bobj.

Yes, I've only been as far north as Gympie. Tell me again where you are from Bob.

I need some suggestions from my Sandgroper colleagues on where to go for Xmas Day and NYE?

My friend suggested Margaret River over Xmas long weekend and I found some places but none of them mention Xmas. Seems odd now I come to think of it. 

I just didn't want to be stuck somewhere with no Xmas day meal.

I have to be a bit more classy for my friend.  Last two Xmas Days in Sydney it was Indian food and VB and I never really like NYE. 

I saw a couple of NYE parties - Gatsby party, I didn't get into the spirit of the thing and dance the Charleston - the Charleyville? 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 09:14, MARYROSE02 said:

Went to a promo last night hosted by Oceania cruise line, they put on a fairly decent do, plenty of free food wine and beer both pre and post presentation, would have caught the train in if I had known. It is one of the classier cruise lines and took me back to how things were on our first Princess cruise. Their around the world cruise of 180 days in 2019 is sold out already and need to register your interest for 2020/21.