English Language/British Passport - IELTS Points

I'm intending to express interest in the 189 Skilled Independent visa and have a simple question regarding the points system.

I will have 30 points for age, 10 for education and 10 for occupational experience so a total of 50 points.

Will I get English language points by default as a British Citizen with a British Passport or do I still need to take a IELTS test to gain the extra 10 (min) points that I would need to qualify for invitation?

I did try searching this forum and others but have found it difficult to get a clear response, I read somewhere that as a British Citizen I would be awarded 15 points for language by default. Is this correct?

30 minutes ago, mccusken said:

Hi, No that's not correct. You have to complete the test to claim the points. 10 for proficient and 15 for superior. As a UK citizen you don't need to prove you have English language but will need to if you want to claim the points. This is what I am doing also.

Thanks for clearing that one up for me.

So I have the option to book either the Academic or the General Training IELTS tests - will it make a difference on points or can I get maximum points for both categories of testing? (I'm assuming General Training will be easier)

17 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

For points, you only need General ILETS. Some occupations require academic as part of the skills assessment. You should be aware that an occupation with 60 points may never receive an invite. 

Thanks for the info, I booked the General Training test. So far on the mock exams I have had 8's so hopefully I'll get the full 20 points which would put me at 70.

I'm an Electrical Lineworker and apparently there are 1000 invites every year - hopefully I can get one. I'm not in a huge hurry and if I have to re-take the IELTS then so be it.

• 4 weeks later...

I got 3 9's in Listening, Speaking and Reading but only managed 7.5 in the writing test.

I'm pretty gutted to be honest, after the test I thought my writing was the one I had done best in and only really worried about the results of the speaking test!

I have an overall score of 8.5, but it's my understanding that the overall score doesn't count and you need a score of at least 8.0 in each exam to get the full 20 points.

Very disappointing, that only puts me on 60 points now - not the 70 I was hoping for.

On 11/26/2017 at 06:58, Placid Casual said:

I got 3 9's in Listening, Speaking and Reading but only managed 7.5 in the writing test.

I'm pretty gutted to be honest, after the test I thought my writing was the one I had done best in and only really worried about the results of the speaking test!

I have an overall score of 8.5, but it's my understanding that the overall score doesn't count and you need a score of at least 8.0 in each exam to get the full 20 points.

Very disappointing, that only puts me on 60 points now - not the 70 I was hoping for.

I had similar results, and needed the extra points for superior.  Just book yourself on another test.