Moving to Bateman's Bay... we need advice!

oliviaaaa

Hey, my friend and I are both thinking of moving to the bay next year even though parents aren't happy so the won't help us find the information on the bay. We would like to know is it worth it for a year fresh out of school? Can we study there? Is it expensive? Will we find work? Are the bills manageable on a teen wage? Is there financial support there? Is it recommended for two best friends who want out of home?

Probably not the greatest of places. There is seasonal work so you’d probably pick up stuff in the summer but on the flip side accommodation is expensive at that time so you’d probably struggle when in battle with cashed up Canberrans doing their coast thing. In the winter there’s not much going on so work might be tough.

Studying? Nope, not known for its academic excellence.

Financial support? You mean beyond work? Probably not.

Must admit it wouldn’t be what I would be encouraging my kids to do on their gap year either.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @oliviaaaa as a parent myself I know how hard it is to let your children go. I also know how much teenagers want to enjoy their freedom. 

I think it's a good idea but first you need to plan it rather than acting on impulse.

Save some money, accommodation will be your largest expense. Then you have utilities, electric, gas, water, mobile phone, internet.

Why Batemans Bay? I would have thought somewhere with a better chance of employment would have been your priority. 

How old are you and your friend? Signing up for a course may need your parents signature. 

'If you are doing a course I'm presuming you will struggle to find time to work as well, so how will you pay for accommodation, food etc.

If you apply for Centrelink and are under 21 you may not be approved as it goes off your parents assets. 

Its great to have ideas and dreams just make sure you plan it first.

Good luck