Recommended Posts

    Hey, my friend and I are both thinking of moving to the bay next year even though parents aren't happy so the won't help us find the information on the bay. We would like to know is it worth it for a year fresh out of school? Can we study there? Is it expensive? Will we find work? Are the bills manageable on a teen wage? Is there financial support there? Is it recommended for two best friends who want out of home?

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites


    Probably not the greatest of places. There is seasonal work so you’d probably pick up stuff in the summer but on the flip side accommodation is expensive at that time so you’d probably struggle when in battle with cashed up Canberrans doing their coast thing. In the winter there’s not much going on so work might be tough.

    Studying? Nope, not known for its academic excellence.

    Financial support? You mean beyond work? Probably not.

    Must admit it wouldn’t be what I would be encouraging my kids to do on their gap year either.

    • Like 1

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Where do you live right now?

    Bateman's Bay might sound good to teenagers used to living in small, inland, country NSW towns.

    But if you're coming from anywhere else, to be honest, I can't understand what the attraction would be..

    • Like 1

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    We are currently in canberra and looking to apply for business certificates down there, the main issue for us is the money and the fact our parents aren't letting us go, well they can't stop it but we want to go so are really out on our owns now


    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Hi @oliviaaaa as a parent myself I know how hard it is to let your children go. I also know how much teenagers want to enjoy their freedom. 

    I think it's a good idea but first you need to plan it rather than acting on impulse.

    Save some money, accommodation will be your largest expense. Then you have utilities, electric, gas, water, mobile phone, internet.

    Why Batemans Bay? I would have thought somewhere with a better chance of employment would have been your priority. 

    How old are you and your friend? Signing up for a course may need your parents signature. 

    'If you are doing a course I'm presuming you will struggle to find time to work as well, so how will you pay for accommodation, food etc.

    If you apply for Centrelink and are under 21 you may not be approved as it goes off your parents assets. 

    Its great to have ideas and dreams just make sure you plan it first.

    Good luck

    • Like 2

    If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Batemans Bay is a bit of a holiday destination so I guess there will be seasonal jobs in cafes, takeaways etc but probably paying the minimum wage which wouldn't be enough if you are paying rent, food, etc etc.

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Similar Content

      • By Itraf
        can someone advise us with the problems we are experiencing with an elderly neighbour.
        he is showing invasion of our privacy, noise, persistent visits to us which are unwanted.
        especially when my wife is alone there. 
        we have contacted the agency and they have contacted the owner. but the man continues on the same path 
      • By greenwoodryan96
        Hi guys, first post here! 
        Okay, so basically, I'm wondering what the best way to do this is. 
        I would like to apply for a partner visa subclass 309 (the one which ends with permanent residency after 2 years) so I can live in Australia with my girlfriend (she's the Aussie) and also be able to travel back and forward to the UK without having to get a different visa each and every time. 
        We are both currently in the UK, and she has until June 30th 2018 until her UK working holiday visa expires and has to go back to Australia, and obviously I want to go too!
        Problem is, on the Aussie immigration website, it says the current processing time for the 309 temporary visa is 70% completed in 13 months, and 90% in 16 months. June is only 10 months away. 
        What's the best way to go about this? Is there a different visa I can get to go to Australia in June next year and apply for my Partner Visa? Am I even allowed to travel to Australia on a separate visa whilst my partner one is being processed? 
        Or is it better to go to Australia on a 6/12 months visitor visa, then apply for my partner visa whilst I'm there (if that's even allowed)? 
        Thank you so much in advance! This is a confusing and slightly stressful process, but obviously so, so worth it. 
      • By SinCityDex
        Hi guys,
        Long story short. I moved to South Oz from Cornwall in 1992 at age 11 with my parents. My parents moved back in 2005 for work. I stayed - had a girlfriend (became my wife)/was @ uni, then I started a career......I had a very traumatic experience @ work in 2014 which destroyed my mental health, career and marriage, all no fault of my own; i've been heavily depressed and anxious for the better part of 2 years. I had a little boy with my wife (currently separated) who is 3. I have 1 Bachelor of Psychology degree, a Masters in Social Work and a Masters in Marketing, so i've got a wide net for employment. Right now i'm self employed, making TV commercials, graphic design - all media stuff.
        I live alone now and can't see myself ever being happy again, BUT, when I think about my family (mum/dad/brother/niece/cousins/friends etc etc) and Cornwall I get a strong sense of connection/hope and love; something i've been lacking for a few years now. My choice, which feels like Sophie's choice is this:
        1. Stay in Oz for my son. I will have a relationship with my son but everything else will be pretty grim, especially when my wife moves onto the next guy, and i'm around to see my son living with him. 
        2. Move back to Cornwall and have a big family again, start afresh etc. Try and find a way of keeping my son in my life - Skype, holidays etc. 
        So the choice is either to remain in Oz completely unhappy with the exception of my son, or move home to Cornwall where I have a sense of identity, family, a sense of community and belonging - something Australia doesn't really have. 
        I guess i'm putting this down on virtual paper because I want to see what other's think of this - all opinions are fine. Please don't kick me while i'm down. If you knew the traumatic event that started everything you'd understand. I'm not one of those dads who wants to leave his son. I don't at all, but I also don't want to die alone in a country that isn't 'home', and continue being miserable. I've been trying to get better for 2 years now but the only light I can ever see at the end of the tunnel is Cornwall. 
        Anybody had a similar experience?
      • By Dawn & Nigel
        Hi all,
        We have been in Australia for 8 years now, my husband will be retiring next June (2018) so is starting to look at the best options of moving/accessing his pension, he has two private pensions in the UK.
        We have been talking to a company called Alexander Peter, so was just wondering if anyone on here has heard of them or used them to deal with their pensions?
        Many thanks
        Dawn & Nigel 
      • By sadsmile23
        Hi all
        This is a question for all you tax and financial boffins out there!!
        Im sure these questions have been asked before, but thought I'd ask them all together so i can try and understand the pros and cons of renting:
        1. I understand that if we left our UK property and rented it out, we would have tax to pay - however, I believe you can offset certain costs against the rental income, such as mortgage, house insurance, agent costs etc. Is this correct?
        2. I have been told we would need to fill in form NRL01 for the Inland Revenue (non-resident landlord) and declare our income on this. Is it just the income from UK rental property we would declare?
        3. Assuming the money we would earn in Oz would not need to be declared on UK tax forms, as we would already be taxed on this in Oz?
        4. Similarly, the money we would earn (actually nothing really, doesnt even cover our mortgage payments!!) in the UK would not need to be declared in Oz, coz we are paying UK taxman?
        Are there any other implications, or pros or cons that anyone can think of, that I havent, that you can give advice on too please?
        Many thanks, brain-boxes!!! :notworthy: