Living in Mount Lawley in Perth?

Sulac

Okay folks I have been tasked with writing some comprehensive guides to specific areas in Perth and being a fairly new migrant to the city myself thought I would get some advice from you lot.

If anyone is living in Mount Lawley in Perth can they give me any answers to the below? Any thing however little or small snippets of info would be appreciated.

What's the demographic and vibe like (ie young person, up and coming etc) how best to describe it?

Any good /notable/history and how has that changed over the years?

Where is it close too - what are the transport links like?

What are the key features? Natural, cultural, food, drink, cheap eats or markets?

What are the three things on the to do list if you go there?

What are the benefits of living here and potentially being a student in the area?

@Collie lives in Mt Hawthorn not Mt Lawley I believe. I have lived in Mt Lawley and closer towards city in Highgate (borders ML) It depends which part of Mt Lawley you live. As for transport there is a train station, but too far from where I lived to be of much use. Buses are plentiful down Beaufort Street and I walked as often as not to the city. No problems there.

As for nightlife, Beaufort Street is one of the recognised areas to dine and water in Perth Metro. Plenty of nosh houses from Pizzeria's to more up market. There is Queens Hotel, a bit of an icon , The Flying Scotsman an ok pub, wine bars, a great German bread/meat shop, supermarket, chemist all in all everything you will need. 

It is quite young focused and has developed quite a lot over recent years. I still live quite close and go there often especially to the German butcher.

51 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

@Collie lives in Mt Hawthorn not Mt Lawley I believe. I have lived in Mt Lawley and closer towards city in Highgate (borders ML) It depends which part of Mt Lawley you live. As for transport there is a train station, but too far from where I lived to be of much use. Buses are plentiful down Beaufort Street and I walked as often as not to the city. No problems there.

As for nightlife, Beaufort Street is one of the recognised areas to dine and water in Perth Metro. Plenty of nosh houses from Pizzeria's to more up market. There is Queens Hotel, a bit of an icon , The Flying Scotsman an ok pub, wine bars, a great German bread/meat shop, supermarket, chemist all in all everything you will need. 

It is quite young focused and has developed quite a lot over recent years. I still live quite close and go there often especially to the German butcher.

I worked behind the bar of the Queens Hotel in the mid 70s when it was a really rough old joint.  Also shared a flat in Mount Lawley.  No idea what it's like now but it was very pleasant back then.

2 hours ago, Toots said:

I worked behind the bar of the Queens Hotel in the mid 70s when it was a really rough old joint.  Also shared a flat in Mount Lawley.  No idea what it's like now but it was very pleasant back then.

I knew you had worked there, Toots, But wasn't aware you liked the rough stuff  occurring at time. Bar room brawls and bodies being turfed out of the salon doors is something of the past. These days a mixed crowd consisting of urban hipsters, girly get togethers, real Queens (I knew a Queen that held  court there, whatever happened to 'old Joe' I wonder?) and the alternatively sex preference crowd, the want to be cool kids and a few of the bedazzled that wander in off the street.

No blood and gory clean up's expected of staff anymore, to the best of my knowledge. 

4 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

I knew you had worked there, Toots, But wasn't aware you liked the rough stuff  occurring at time. Bar room brawls and bodies being turfed out of the salon doors is something of the past. These days a mixed crowd consisting of urban hipsters, girly get togethers, real Queens (I knew a Queen that held  court there, whatever happened to 'old Joe' I wonder?) and the alternatively sex preference crowd, the want to be cool kids and a few of the bedazzled that wander in off the street.

No blood and gory clean up's expected of staff anymore, to the best of my knowledge. 

I wouldn't go as far as to say I liked the rough stuff.  :laugh:  Most of the customers were locals - many pensioners and tradies coming in after a days work. Saw a couple of punch-ups but nothing too drastic.   One of the nights was a 'tranny'" night - when the Perth transvestites would converge for the evening.  I remember that funny law whereby the bar would close at 2pm on a Sunday and you were allowed a couple of bottles to takeaway.  That was a joke.  So a bloke - always the male customers - would buy his allotted 2 bottles, take it out to the car or whatever then come back in and buy another 2 bottles usually from a different bar person.  Some of them would come in more than twice.  :P  There was a long bar which turned a corner.  I worked the "posh" end.  ^_^

4 minutes ago, Toots said:

I wouldn't go as far as to say I liked the rough stuff.  :laugh:  Most of the customers were locals - many pensioners and tradies coming in after a days work. Saw a couple of punch-ups but nothing too drastic.   One of the nights was a 'tranny'" night - when the Perth transvestites would converge for the evening.  I remember that funny law whereby the bar would close at 2pm on a Sunday and you were allowed a couple of bottles to takeaway.  That was a joke.  So a bloke - always the male customers - would buy his allotted 2 bottles, take it out to the car or whatever then come back in and buy another 2 bottles usually from a different bar person.  Some of them would come in more than twice.  :P  There was a long bar which turned a corner.  I worked the "posh" end.  ^_^

The 'posh' end of the bar probably explains it then. Any punches thrown would get a ban. Head butting though quite acceptable. Most definitely a swankier type of patron. Tranny night could really witness fireworks.

The old two bottle rule was all over and another farcical rule that powers above seem to have liked to impose at the time along with numerous others. They were wowser times after all.

• Like 1

Thanks for all these comments this is really helpful even the minute details of the Queens Hotel.  Keep them coming I have to write 800 words so there's a fair bit of info which I need to digest. Any good scenic walking spots?

Cheers,

S

• Like 1