So Good To Be Back In The UK

Redtop1

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 16:58, Home and Happy said:

I think you will see it through a different pair of eyes once you get back.  So much to see and do in UK.   

Yes, I'm sure you're right.  It will be a culture shock. We live in the bush.  Nothing whatsoever to do here !!  Just need to sell the house - easier said than done.  

personally , if I was living in the bush , I would be straight back here to the u.k ....if I was living somewhere beach side with all the services , Tha might be a tougher call .?

choose well when you come home .

personally stay off the m6 and m1 corridors , Sta out of the large urban areas , and your range of lovely towns and villages is limitless .

I can be I a shithole , inner city suburb ...30 min drive later , iam in a different world ...but that's England

4 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

personally , if I was living in the bush , I would be straight back here to the u.k ....if I was living somewhere beach side with all the services , Tha might be a tougher call .?

choose well when you come home .

personally stay off the m6 and m1 corridors , Sta out of the large urban areas , and your range of lovely towns and villages is limitless .

I can be I a shithole , inner city suburb ...30 min drive later , iam in a different world ...but that's England

Well no thats anywhere. ?

We lived in a lovely area on the Southside of Brisbane but 7 or 8 miles away was Woodridge, a truly dreadful suburb. It does show though how close you can be to somewhere you would never dream of living by choice. 

10 minutes ago, bristolman said:

Well no thats anywhere. ?

We lived in a lovely area on the Southside of Brisbane but 7 or 8 miles away was Woodridge, a truly dreadful suburb. It does show though how close you can be to somewhere you would never dream of living by choice. 

I understand what you are saying Bristol ...but the issues are magnified when you live in a small island with 64 million people on it .

its not a criticism of the u.k ...its just fact .

I work In areas , that people can only dream about , at both ends of the spectrum ....

I was just saying ....choose wisely .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

I understand what you are saying Bristol ...but the issues are magnified when you live in a small island with 64 million people on it .

its not a criticism of the u.k ...its just fact .

I work In areas , that people can only dream about , at both ends of the spectrum ....

I was just saying ....choose wisely .

Yes I know what you are saying, you say it a lot ? My point really is it's the same wherever you go, there are probably more places in Brisbane for example I would choose NOT  to live than where I would choose to live. I just don't see that as any different here really. As you say though, choose wisely. 

20 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

the level of choice is massive

Indeed.  The supermarkets in Australia in my opinion were not a patch on UK supermarkets.. and the prices....oh my.....   Life in general out there is very limited compared to Britain.   But you will only know and understand this by going out and giving Australia a go.  Then you realise where your bread was buttered and then you know just how good you had it at home.  When / if you come back, you will probably see Britain through different eyes. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

Indeed.  The supermarkets in Australia in my opinion were not a patch on UK supermarkets.. and the prices....oh my.....   Life in general out there is very limited compared to Britain.   But you will only know and understand this by going out and giving Australia a go.  Then you realise where your bread was buttered and then you know just how good you had it at home.  When / if you come back, you will probably see Britain through different eyes. 

its a 50/50 thing for me ...i could happily live in either country ....and miss the other ?

I could quite happily leave the u.k , oct - apr ....and come back for spring and summer in the u.k ?.

my wife wouldn't have it though ...she is very settled now .

but if i have to settle for one 24/7 365 ....it has to be the u.k ...i would miss too much ...choice ,cost ,travel to London and Europe being the main ones

• Like 2

On 9/28/2017 at 08:09, Redtop1 said:

We have been back 2 months now, didn't realise how happy I would be to be back.

Our two dogs travelled well, did an overnight in Dubai then onto Heathrow next day, we knew it was taking for animal 8-9 hours to clear customs so boarded them there for the night and collected then the next day.  They were happy, clean and not at all smelly on collection.  Just as well as it was a Friday and we were travelling down to Devon in the height of the holiday season in August (Unfortunately, it was the worst traffic jams and Road works, normal journey about 3 hours, it too nearly 7).

We booked a cottage near Dartmouth for 3 months, such a friendly village, the dogs go most places with us, they have been on a bus, most pubs allow them in the bar when you go for a pub lunch, one even had a dog bar with bowls of water and treats.

We have found a house in Somerset to buy and we will be completing and moving in on Monday 2nd October, (5 weeks from initial viewing as we are cash buyers) our container (40 foot high top)  with our car and belonging is due to be delivered Wednesday/Thursday 4/5th.  We had planned to spend a few weeks decorating whilst my husband started his job hunting in earnest, but unbelievably he was contacted last week by an agency, had an interview and is due to start his new job on Monday 9th!

Our weekly food shopping is a lot cheaper and a far wider choice, car insurance also a lot cheaper.  I have no problem getting an NHS Dentist in the area we are moving to and could have had an appointment within 3 days, but need to wait until 6th October due to moving.

It has been a lot of work and organising, but we started the process getting the house and garden ready forsale and decluttering in May. Organised the real estate agent and put the house on the market 3 days before we left on our previously booked holiday in UK for the month of June, our house sold within a couple of days of going on the market and we were in the UK knowing we only had 4 weeks when we got back to Australia to organise everything including selling our car, seaside block of land, dogs, shipping, UK short term rental that would take 2 dogs, buying a car in UK! 

We achieved it all, I still pinch myself, so just need next week to go to plan!

Will do an update in 6 months, see how we get through winter etc.

It is great to be back home.

Dear All. Thank you for sharing all this information, it is such a relief to know other people are going through similar situations and yet make it and manage it to UK successfully.

We're thinking of going back to Manchester UK, beginning of Feb 2018.  I am really worried about finding accommodation in Manchester as neither me nor hubby will not be having jobs on arrival. We do not have any family in Manchester either. 

I wonder if anyone had to deal with something similar ? How did you sort out a place to stay ? Is Airbnb the only option ? someone mentioned short term rentals, please could you name a few.

We're getting mad with the stress and feeling overwhelmed as we have noone in UK and can only rely on ourselves.

Any info would be gratefully received. Thank you 

Minoo

• 2 months later...

Thought I ‘d just reply to this one, been busy decorating new house so haven’t popped into here for a while.

Finding somewhere as a short term rental was my biggest worry, especially as we were due to arrive in the UK in the height of the holiday season August and we had two dogs.  We were extremely flexible as to location I looked on Gumtree there were a few places that I tried but couldn’t convince 5hem to accept dogs which I fully understand). So I just put a wanted add on Gumtree in various areas, along the lines of ‘couple with two extremely well behaved non shedding dogs looking for short term rental’.  We were fortunate in that an letting agent saw it and contacted us,  it was a bit nerve racking as we only had 4 weeks to find somewhere before we were due to arrive.  We did in fact have another letting agent contact us a week after we got to the UK that also had a property this second one was in Bournemouth.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1