Emily-Jane

Hi, my name is Emily-Jane and I'm 16 years old, 17 in December. My family and I are seriously considering moving into Brisbane in January; we have visas sorted. I have a great life here in the UK and would be leaving so much behind but I also understand that living out in Australia will create amazing opportunities for me. 

I was wondering if there was anyone that I can talk to around my age that is also in the same situation as me, or has already moved over and has any advice they could share with me. I would really appreciate it because talking to someone would definitely help and maybe allow me to see other perspectives or learn more about what it's like to be a teenager living in Australia. 

Thank you! xx 

Edited by Emily-Jane

Are your folks aware of the difficulties you might face educationally? Your age is not ideal for a move - most kids start year 11 at 16 and then have two years to do their year 12 assessments.  If there is any chance they would let you (and  you would be game) finish A levels then you have a whole lot more options open to you - A levels have a better value against Aussie yr 12 scores than they do in the opposite direction (if you want an Aussie Uni). And if you were fancying doing Uni in UK, then you wouldn't be stung by international student fees which you would if you went over and did your final two years in Aus.  Even if you didn't want to go to Uni (most kids do) then you would need at least a year 12 equivalent and Aus employers are used to kids with a Yr 12 cert rather than having to convert or enquire about conversions.  As long as you make your first entry into Australia within the allotted time frame you have up to 5 years to make the final move.

You're lucky that you have the option of two first world countries with the opportunities that they both bring - they are similar in that regard but Australia will certainly be different and an adventure in a foreign country to be sure. 

Sorry, I am well older than the cohort you were enquiring of :-) I'm sure some of them might pass by when they wake up!

• Like 1

Thank you very much for getting back to me! Yes, my parents have looked into the schooling situation very much and understand that its very difficult and a lot to consider. 

I would definitely like to attend University and my parents have heard about the possible new law of raising uni fees if you have not been a citizen for over 4 years, do you know any more on this situation? I have only just started my A Levels this week and so completing them would be another two years away; a long wait for my whole family. 

• Like 1

You have to be a citizen, not a citizen for 4 years, to get the Commonwealth Supported places which are going to be cheaper than the non supported places which are accessible for Permanent Residents at the moment. I don't think they will be as expensive as International Student fees but certainly more expensive than the CSP that PRs can currently access.

You could consider validating your visa with your family but then they stay in Aus and you stay in UK (with family/friends) to finish your A levels - you could go to Aus for holidays. That way, if they decide that Australia isn't for them, you wouldn't be doubly disadvantaged - one by not having high enough grades to get into the Uni of your choice, secondly by not being stung by International Student fees as you wouldn't have been in UK for 3 years before starting Uni. 

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your help. Your idea is actually very good and I could consider that, I would be able to complete my  A levels but still have the chance to move over when I'm done because my family would already be settled there. We have already validated the visas (only in August), so I am already ahead. 

Again, thank you very much, you have been very helpful and I will feed this information back to my parents.