You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Hi, my name is Emily-Jane and I'm 16 years old, 17 in December. My family and I are seriously considering moving into Brisbane in January; we have visas sorted. I have a great life here in the UK and would be leaving so much behind but I also understand that living out in Australia will create amazing opportunities for me. 

I was wondering if there was anyone that I can talk to around my age that is also in the same situation as me, or has already moved over and has any advice they could share with me. I would really appreciate it because talking to someone would definitely help and maybe allow me to see other perspectives or learn more about what it's like to be a teenager living in Australia. 

Thank you! xx 

Edited by Emily-Jane

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

Are your folks aware of the difficulties you might face educationally? Your age is not ideal for a move - most kids start year 11 at 16 and then have two years to do their year 12 assessments.  If there is any chance they would let you (and  you would be game) finish A levels then you have a whole lot more options open to you - A levels have a better value against Aussie yr 12 scores than they do in the opposite direction (if you want an Aussie Uni). And if you were fancying doing Uni in UK, then you wouldn't be stung by international student fees which you would if you went over and did your final two years in Aus.  Even if you didn't want to go to Uni (most kids do) then you would need at least a year 12 equivalent and Aus employers are used to kids with a Yr 12 cert rather than having to convert or enquire about conversions.  As long as you make your first entry into Australia within the allotted time frame you have up to 5 years to make the final move.

You're lucky that you have the option of two first world countries with the opportunities that they both bring - they are similar in that regard but Australia will certainly be different and an adventure in a foreign country to be sure. 

Sorry, I am well older than the cohort you were enquiring of :-) I'm sure some of them might pass by when they wake up!

• Like 1

Thank you very much for getting back to me! Yes, my parents have looked into the schooling situation very much and understand that its very difficult and a lot to consider. 

I would definitely like to attend University and my parents have heard about the possible new law of raising uni fees if you have not been a citizen for over 4 years, do you know any more on this situation? I have only just started my A Levels this week and so completing them would be another two years away; a long wait for my whole family. 

• Like 1

You have to be a citizen, not a citizen for 4 years, to get the Commonwealth Supported places which are going to be cheaper than the non supported places which are accessible for Permanent Residents at the moment. I don't think they will be as expensive as International Student fees but certainly more expensive than the CSP that PRs can currently access.

You could consider validating your visa with your family but then they stay in Aus and you stay in UK (with family/friends) to finish your A levels - you could go to Aus for holidays. That way, if they decide that Australia isn't for them, you wouldn't be doubly disadvantaged - one by not having high enough grades to get into the Uni of your choice, secondly by not being stung by International Student fees as you wouldn't have been in UK for 3 years before starting Uni. 

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your help. Your idea is actually very good and I could consider that, I would be able to complete my  A levels but still have the chance to move over when I'm done because my family would already be settled there. We have already validated the visas (only in August), so I am already ahead. 

Again, thank you very much, you have been very helpful and I will feed this information back to my parents. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By MillicentM
        Hi everyone,

May of this year we landed on Australian soil and went to my husbands family in Richmond NSW.
        We are currently renting a property here however don't feel its the "Auzzie dream" we dreamt of.
        We were introduced to toowoon bay which i LOVE!
        However have been told for my husbands work (electrician) would be best to head more towards Newcastle way.
        I do not want to be in a busy city...
        we have 2 young boys 4 and 1.
        a little dog.
        My boys LOVE the beach...
        and I love to grab a coffee..
        so ideally somewhere that is not too busy but still not isolated.. beach a short drive at the most.. and somewhere i can get my coffee would be perfect!!
        We are very outdoorsy and love animals.. My oldest is very happy with the green tree frogs and lizards we find in our garden at the moment!!
        I am currently studying in children services from home whilst looking after my boys but hope to start work beginning of next year.
        Our tenancy runs out in July so starting to look up where we are heading... Honestly cant wait to get out of this property! 
        Can anyone provide us with some information regarding good places to live!! 
        We haven't really had chance to make any friends here as my husband has to travel to sydney every day and works long shifts.. nightmare! can take him up to 2 hours to get home in the evening!
        Hasn't been the most brilliant start but hoping things perk up with a move to a more ideal area for us and the kids!
        Thanks everyone 

x
      • By KerryR
        Hi 
        I am new on here and thought I would see if anyone can offer any guidance please. We are just waiting for final answer 're 189 visa. My family and I are looking to move to the Gold coast.  I am a registered children's nurse and my current role is a Team leader in Child mental health and have 16 years experience within this area. Can anyone recommend vacancy websites or links/ contacts that maybe helpful for me. I am interested in continuing my career with children, young people and families and I am open to job opportunities within different settings that care for young people. I do look on smart jobs for Queensland at present, any advice/ suggestions would be really appreciated.
        Thank you
        Kerry.
      • By JPA
        Help please if you can 

mY partner myself and our two young children are traveling I 25 Days to Australia because a friend of ours is getting married it’s nearly killed us affording it and now I’m worried because Paul has been declindex his visa for a drink driving conviction in 2009 I’m so so worried  he’s travel and worked in Australia In The past and wasn’t declinde then but now he has been and I feel sick with worry that he won’t be able to sort it out in time 
        please can someone help me or offer some advice? 

Jo x
      • By TJB
        I have searched the internet for an answer and can't find one. My husband and i need a USA police check (FBI check). We have different surnames. Should we send these separately in different envelopes or can we send them together? This seems like such a trivial question but I'm really confused by this. I'm guessing it should be sent in separate envelopes?

Kind regards.
      • By Sar_83
        Hi all
        We're returning to the UK in 6 weeks having lived in Australia for the last 9 years.  I've had the same mobile number since the day we arrived here and am keen to keep it going once I head back to the UK so as not to loose touch with people (I did the same with my UK phone, having had the same number for the last 15 years and changing to a pre-paid/pay as you go plan when we moved out here which has worked well).
        I'm keen to find a service provider who can offer a good plan for use outside of Australia - mainly for text messages and the occassional phone call (bearing in mind most of the time I will be using it on WIFI and using only Facetime/Whatsapp etc so no data needed).
        Has anyone recently found any good deals?  I know I can get a SIM through Vodaphone where one recharge lasts 12 months however it seems to only really be good value for use within Australia.
        I should note I'm currently with Optus on a business plan but as I'm out of contract I can cancel & take my number with me anytime.  Oh and Optus have told me it's easier for them if I don't take out an Optus plan but change to a different service provider and they will just port my number across to them... go figure.
        Thanks in advance,
        Sarah