Anyone applied for a UK passport this year

dunc

Has anyone applied to have a name change done on a British passport recently (this year)?

My wife hasn't had the chance to change her surname on her passport yet. We're going to be in the UK next month but have already got a return flight booked so it's not an option to get it done while we're there. She'll need to use her passport again in October so if we post the application the day we get back to Oz we'll have 7 weeks for it to get to the UK and the new one to arrive here.

Just looking to gauge if this will leave enough time for us to get it sorted. If we wait until last minute to book the flights we'll likely have to pay double!!

We got a new passport for our son back in a few weeks (a couple of years ago now fwiw). It seems to be a few weeks or so processing time these days from what I read of peoples wait times on here.

Agree with the above, if it can wait, you don't have to do it before the October trip. 

I don't suppose there is any real urgency. We recently got PR so I guess she'll need it to get a drivers licence and it would be good to not have to do that twice.

I'll check when her current one expires.

2 hours ago, dunc said:

I don't suppose there is any real urgency. We recently got PR so I guess she'll need it to get a drivers licence and it would be good to not have to do that twice.

I'll check when her current one expires.

Did it last year and it took about 3 weeks. You now have to send it to the UK you can no longer get it done in Canberra. It may take longer over the UK summer period. Suggest you also check what happens about the PR visa, whether it is transferred or whether you need both passports  I can't  remember. 

You change the passport, you need to notify immigration and get the visa attached to the new passport. 

Tbh I'd do it after October and once all the travel is out the way. You can book flights in her maiden name and on her current passport surely. And change DL then too. 

I don't know the DL regs. If she needs to get one I'd think you have enough ID to get it and then just change the name at a later date when ready.

We had to change address on our DL and it was pretty straightforward and sorted in 10 minutes. I can't imagine a name change is going to be a big deal. 

Did it last year and it took about 3 weeks. You now have to send it to the UK you can no longer get it done in Canberra. It may take longer over the UK summer period. Suggest you also check what happens about the PR visa, whether it is transferred or whether you need both passports  I can't  remember. 

When we renewed our children's passports the PR visas were not transferred. Actually we never even thought about it as we assumed everything would be recorded electronically and their passports would be linked to ours with the visas still in. It was only when we were at the airport going to the UK for a holiday it was pointed out to us that we might have trouble returning with the children without the visas in our passports!!! We had to call up a friend to go to our house and find and scan the old passports to use just in case!

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

6 hours ago, Martinbjulieb said:

When we renewed our children's passports the PR visas were not transferred. Actually we never even thought about it as we assumed everything would be recorded electronically and their passports would be linked to ours with the visas still in. It was only when we were at the airport going to the UK for a holiday it was pointed out to us that we might have trouble returning with the children without the visas in our passports!!! We had to call up a friend to go to our house and find and scan the old passports to use just in case!

Of course they cannot transfer the visas. The British Passport Office only deals with British passports not with Australian visas. 

To update the visa numbers either use your immiacoount or search the DIBP website for form 929

Of course they cannot transfer the visas. The British Passport Office only deals with British passports not with Australian visas. 
To update the visa numbers either use your immiacoount or search the DIBP website for form 929

So who put the visas in in the first place?? I assumed it was the British passport office.

1 hour ago, Martinbjulieb said:

So who put the visas in in the first place?? I assumed it was the British passport office.

If they are Australian visa stickers they would have been put in by the Australian immigration department. They don't use stickers now its all electronic. You must have sent them off to Australia House when your visas were granted?