Motorbike Licence Questions

Har00n

Ok... here's a strange question that might be easy to answer, but I cant find the answer online anywhere. 

I'm going back to Scotland at the end of August. 
I've got a full UK Car licence, and had passed my CBT for motorbikes but left for Australia before actually sitting my test. 

In Australia, i got my bike licence, unrestricted, and have been riding big bikes for over 5 years... 

Now, i know i can convert an australian licence to a UK licence, but i already have a uk licence. I just need my Motorbike entitlement added to my UK licence, so i can get insurance when i buy a bike when i get back home. Is that possible? is it just a form? im guessing ill have to take a trip to the local DVLA office, no big deal, kjust thought id ask here in case someones been through the same process at all?

The issue is that you are not meant to have 2 licenses at the same time (UK & Australian) - not saying it doesn't happen, it does but you're not meant to.

You are meant to give up one to get the other.

So if you are moving to the UK permanently, you can get your Australian license converted.  If you are just on holiday you should be able to drive on your Australian license.

That is the way it works for Ireland anyway - I assume the UK is the same 

18 hours ago, Collie said:

The issue is that you are not meant to have 2 licenses at the same time (UK & Australian) - not saying it doesn't happen, it does but you're not meant to.

You are meant to give up one to get the other.

So if you are moving to the UK permanently, you can get your Australian license converted.  If you are just on holiday you should be able to drive on your Australian license.

That is the way it works for Ireland anyway - I assume the UK is the same 

Dont think thats how it works. 
Nothing stopping you having two licences, if you take the situation of 457 Visa holders, they are temporary visiotrs, so nothing stopping them getting a australian licnce whilst still having a british one. 

Not sure how it works for ireland, but pretty sure there is nothing stopping you holding both an UK and Australian Driving Licence. 

Conversion does not mean relegating your Uk Licence. 

I converted my Uk Licence to a WA licence. i still kept the uk licence. 
i then got my r class, which i wanna now put back onto my UK licence when i move back... guess i just speak to the DVLA on this one.. 

On 21 July 2017 at 13:30, Har00n said:

Conversion does not mean relegating your Uk Licence. 

I converted my Uk Licence to a WA licence. i still kept the uk licence. 
i then got my r class, which i wanna now put back onto my UK licence when i move back... guess i just speak to the DVLA on this one.. 

Just because you are not forced to give it back doesn't mean it is still valid.  When you move simply get yourself a new UK license by converting your Australian license to a UK one.

Edited by NicF
  • Like 3

• 4 years later...

Hi I’m from the UK and hold a uk driving licence I’m wanting to do my bike licence but I am moving to Australia in September for a job which they are sponsoring me, I was wondering if I was able to do my full unrestricted bike license in Australia being from the UK?

4 hours ago, Shall88 said:

Hi I’m from the UK and hold a uk driving licence I’m wanting to do my bike licence but I am moving to Australia in September for a job which they are sponsoring me, I was wondering if I was able to do my full unrestricted bike license in Australia being from the UK?

I would go ahead and do as much of your UK bike license as you can in the UK.  You may be planning to go in September but timing for a sponsored visa is always unpredictable and delays are common.