Brisbane - best suburbs for young professionals

Jelly

Hi all!

Which Brissie suburbs do you reckon are the best for a young professional couple to rent in? We won't have a car, so proximity to the CBD and public transport is pretty important. We love the outdoors and jogging, so would be nice to be close to nice areas for jogging (maybe along the river?), possibly parks, maybe Streets Beach etc.

Looking for a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, furnished flat. Budget is around $550/w.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Jelly said:

Hi all!

Which Brissie suburbs do you reckon are the best for a young professional couple to rent in? We won't have a car, so proximity to the CBD and public transport is pretty important. We love the outdoors and jogging, so would be nice to be close to nice areas for jogging (maybe along the river?), possibly parks, maybe Streets Beach etc.

Looking for a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, furnished flat. Budget is around $550/w.

Thanks!

Hey,

We are a young couple with a newborn, and we're looking at Fortitude Valley, to move in September. It would be good to keep in touch and maybe meet up over lunch or similar?

DN

Edited by DukeNinja

Guest The Pom Queen

I like Woolloongabba and Greenslopes but probably because I spend a lot of time there. There are plenty of units around and you can get a good deal.

There are many suburbs to choose from, some better than others depending on what you want.

It would be ideal if you could go around yourself and experience first hand and see which places click with you. People like different things...

Here are a few reviews around Brisbane:

suburbs-in-brisbane-queensland   Brisbane

Use google maps to zoom in places if you need to know how the place looks:

Example of Bulimba

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There is an oversupply of apartments in the inner city, so downward pressure on rents.  Most apartments (called units here) are rented out unfurnished.  But there are plenty of op shops where you can get second hand stuff, though you might want to invest in a decent bed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, the public transport in West End is excellent.  Bike paths are being improved too.  It's only about a 20 minute walk to the CBD.   Easy walking distance to the public pools, restaurants, parks etc on the river at Southbank.  Not sure I would want to live too close to the river though.  Severe flooding in 2011.  I went to the West End State School fete recently - it's a very diverse area, with quite a lot of public housing, many students living in shared houses, but rapidly becoming gentrified.  Median house prices are now well over a million - which is expensive for Brisbane.  It has elected the first Greens Councillor in Queensland, who is stirring the pot quite a bit,  and the Greens and the Labor Party are at daggers drawn for the forthcoming State election. The West End Community Association is very active.  Probably the most interesting Brisbane suburb.

Yeah it's probably vulnerable if there's a bad flood but they have have learned from what happened in 2011 it seems. They upgraded the pumping systems in the basements of a lot of the unit complexes and you have some great quality units down there with great amenities like huge swimming pool and garden areas - renting is very affordable in these places too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if they have really learned much.  The whole area west of Montague Road is a flood plain.  The aborigines told the Europeans never to build there, for good reason!   Time will tell, in the next big flood.  I did buy a unit there a while ago, but kept the  latest flood map in my hot little paw as I trotted around.  But of course it doesn't matter as much if you are renting.  Certainly plenty to choose from now.  

We're just coming to the end of our 3 week stay in South Brisbane, next to the Sky Needle, and I have to say, we have really enjoyed the feel of this area, with its diverse range of eateries within arm`s reach, and the CBD a short walk away.

We would love to buy here, but prices here are probably 125% of our budget.

So we`re renting at the edge of Spring Hill/The Valley, in a brand spanking new apartment building instead.

• Like 1