How long to get invited on 60 points ... Construction project manager

Hello,

I'm hoping someone with some experience can advise me. 

I'm ready to submit an EOI for the 189 visa on SkillSelect. I have either 60 or 65 points depending on whether I include my work experience. This is made up of 25 points for age, 15 for education and 20 for IELTS test. I also potentially have another 5 points for work experience, but I'm considering not including this to make the application process simpler.

My profession is 'Construction Project Manager' - I have my positive assessment from Vetassess. (I actually worked as an architect for a few years prior to moving into project management, however I only applied to have the project management work experience assessed). Vetassess assessed me as having 5.1 years of suitable experience, but the first year was deducted, leaving me with 4.1 years on their assessment letter. HOWEVER, they didn't deduct the 12 months I was on maternity leave, which would actually leave me with 3.1 years. And this 3.1 years was arrived at by them rounding up months between two jobs - by my calculation I'm actually around 2 weeks short of 3 years experience after the qualifying year and the maternity leave is deducted. So I don't really want to take any chances by including this work experience on my EOI. That is my gut feeling.

My question is, how long do you think I'd need to wait to get invited to apply with only 60 points as a Construction Project Manager? Will I get invited or should I include the extra 5 points for work experience?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,
I'm hoping someone with some experience can advise me. 
I'm ready to submit an EOI for the 189 visa on SkillSelect. I have either 60 or 65 points depending on whether I include my work experience. This is made up of 25 points for age, 15 for education and 20 for IELTS test. I also potentially have another 5 points for work experience, but I'm considering not including this to make the application process simpler.
My profession is 'Construction Project Manager' - I have my positive assessment from Vetassess. (I actually worked as an architect for a few years prior to moving into project management, however I only applied to have the project management work experience assessed). Vetassess assessed me as having 5.1 years of suitable experience, but the first year was deducted, leaving me with 4.1 years on their assessment letter. HOWEVER, they didn't deduct the 12 months I was on maternity leave, which would actually leave me with 3.1 years. And this 3.1 years was arrived at by them rounding up months between two jobs - by my calculation I'm actually around 2 weeks short of 3 years experience after the qualifying year and the maternity leave is deducted. So I don't really want to take any chances by including this work experience on my EOI. That is my gut feeling.
My question is, how long do you think I'd need to wait to get invited to apply with only 60 points as a Construction Project Manager? Will I get invited or should I include the extra 5 points for work experience?
Thanks in advance!

Hi
High Likely you will be invited by 1st round of 12th of July17
CPM and project builders are on high demand and will be picked up immediately
I am project builder and got invited by NSW under subclass 190 in 5 days
And I am waiting the Grant since 7th April
Wait another 5 days

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

I did the IELTS General test. You can do either Academic or General to qualify for the points test, it makes no difference. But English is my first language so I only took the test in order to claim the extra points ... if you need to take the test as part of your application then I'm not the right person to ask for advice.

Still waiting for an invitation by the way ... think it'll be a long time before they start inviting people with 60 points for the 189 visa. Most of the invites seem to be going to accountants and ICT workers at the moment. I don't really understand how anyone with lower points is going to get invited until the occupation ceiling has been met for these popular professions?

Best of luck :)

I was reading on another forum that some people predict the 60points might not even get an invite even if not on the list of pro-rata occupations. I am 60 points General electrician so am feeling deflated at the prospects of an invite. Surely the invites have to increase to include lower points of non pro-rata occupations otherwise system seemsvery unfair this year

Sent from my SM-G935F using PomsinOz mobile app

I was reading on another forum that some people predict the 60points might not even get an invite even if not on the list of pro-rata occupations. I am 60 points General electrician so am feeling deflated at the prospects of an invite. Surely the invites have to increase to include lower points of non pro-rata occupations otherwise system seemsvery unfair this year

I'm feeling so confused about this pro rata thing - someone said 'non pro rata are ALL the occupations on the skilled list except the 8 pro rata occupations that are limited each round'

Can anyone explain this please? I've submitted EOI as an early years teacher

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

I was too basically from what I have been reading up on the trend since July is that only 70+ points were being invited with pro-rata eating up most of the invites as the ceiling has been lowered to 1000 per round as opposed to 2000 per round last financial year this obvs has an effect on non pro rata occupations as we are not in as many numbers and lower points generally so not getting invites. I have been led to believe this was due to pro rata occupations reaching ceiling early last year and creating long back log of 70+ points. Keeping an eye on next invite that 65+ may have a chance but again a back log is being created. It doesn't make sense the way things are being operated at the moment and one can only hope the ceiling of invites per round is restored to 2000 to allow us 60pointers a chance

Reubs - it worries me too that invites will never get 'down' to those of us on 60 points in the less 'popular' occupations. Although the popular occupations like accountant and ICT professionals are capped to a certain number being invited each month, there are still so many hundreds of them going through, and all with 70 points plus, it seems like it'll never get down to other professions with lower points score. I feel like literally thousands of accountants etc with 70 points and more are ahead in the queue and they all need to get invites first. With only 2000 invites going out a month there aren't that many spaces left for non-pro-rata occupations on lower points. It does seem a bit unfair in that surely this system won't produce a good mix across all the professions?

My profession is construction project manager. The occupation cap is over 5000 with only 15 invites so far. I can't increase my points at all as, although I've been working in the industry for 14 years, the first 8 years were as an architect. I did get 5 years of positive experience from Vetassess but by the time the one year comes off as 'qualifying period' and another year for maternity leave I was a few days short of 3 years so no points for experience. Currently working part-time so it also doesn't count. I'm considering whether to apply for 190 with state sponsorship in case there is more chance, but would prefer 189. I'm not in a huge rush as I'm expecting a new baby later in the year so need to add them to the application anyway. But the concern, like you say, is that those on 60 points never get invited this year. 

Any migration experts got any opinions on when/if those on 60 points (in non pro-rata occupations) will start to be invited this year?

They have only been inviting 1000 the last few rounds so this is where the issue mainly lies as the pro rata occupations with high points get there first. However they will reach their ceiling fast at this rate and sooner or later lower points will have to get invites but the back log of 65's will then be priority and I believe they have no invites since doe early March so again long delays. I am General electrician ceiling is 9000+ only 2 invites so far. Extremely frustrating. We have 60 points but with 10 points for English. Could go again with the hope of a higher score but sat it 3 times and didn't get score for other 2times so think it will be a waste of money to go again and again in the hope of improving when i don't think it's possible for me to improve my score by what is needed. I'm Irish by the way [emoji23][emoji23] clearly my english isn't great

For the first few rounds they were basically treating all occupation pro rata. This was by default as they had significantly dropped the amount of invites from 2000 to 1000. Next round is back up at 1750 so I imagine over the next few weeks invites for non pro rata should return to normal and we should see invites sooner rather than later as was first suggested.

• 1 year later...