Need to validate the visa??

SimonandSian

Ok, so complete disclaimer - this might be a ridiculous question!

We have had our families Skilled - Independent (subclass 189) visa granted and have been busy organising the move.

It suddenly dawned on me that we might need to 'accept' the visa, is this the case at all? or do we just turn up at the airport with the printed paperwork  and it is all processed at the time of arrival?

I know we have a certain amount of time to arrive in oz to validate it, just checking that we do not need to do anything from this end?!

Thanks helpful people :)

Don't know what you mean by accept it. Never heard of that. 

The visa has been granted. Everyone with a visa must validate it now is all. 

ETA - Re the visa, its all attached to the passports via the computer system so there isn't any need for print outs but some do carry them for peace of mind in case of any issues. There is no processing as such, you'd just arrive in Aus, clear immigration same as everyone else and its done. I've never had to show any visa paperwork at airports yet but did carry the visa grant notice the first time I made entry to Aus. I also had a copy in my emails on my phone which is still there in case of any problems. 

Please see the "initial arrival date" on your visa grant notice. You need to make your first visit before that date. Thats all is there to it. You don't need to accept the visa or anything like that. Your initial visit can just be a short holiday and then you have till the "Last Date to Arrive" on your visa grant to make the permanent move. Hope this is clear.

6 hours ago, path2aus said:

Please see the "initial arrival date" on your visa grant notice. You need to make your first visit before that date. Thats all is there to it. You don't need to accept the visa or anything like that. Your initial visit can just be a short holiday and then you have till the "Last Date to Arrive" on your visa grant to make the permanent move. Hope this is clear.

Totally clear - thought so, just a quick check thanks!!!

I've a question about this too.  Initial arrival date...how is this date set? I cant find anything out about it on the visa website. A friend had his 189 granted in May and had to arrive before late October...doesn't seem long? 

In addition if spouse and children are on the visa does everyone have to arrive by that date or just the visa holder (ie my husband)? 

We're thinking about the cost of extra flights and accommodation if need to arrive in advance of when we wish to move. 

25 minutes ago, Stayorgo said:

I've a question about this too.  Initial arrival date...how is this date set? I cant find anything out about it on the visa website. A friend had his 189 granted in May and had to arrive before late October...doesn't seem long? 

In addition if spouse and children are on the visa does everyone have to arrive by that date or just the visa holder (ie my husband)? 

We're thinking about the cost of extra flights and accommodation if need to arrive in advance of when we wish to move. 

The Validation date ( initial arrival date) is usually 12 months after the date of the medicals or police checks, whichever was done first. There are exceptions, but thats the general rule. Hence people are advised not to do their meds & police checks until they are requested by a CO. The earlier they are done, the less time you have to validate. 

And yes, every visa holder must validate the visa. 

• Like 1

On 07/07/2017 at 17:23, Stayorgo said:

The entry date is normally 12 months from the Medicals or Police check but for me I wasn't given 12 months (got only 9 months). So it depends, to put it simply you may be granted up to 12 months from either police check or Medicals. Also as @Nemesis said, each family member should validate their visa.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Hope to plan submitting our EOI to allow for making a visit within 9months post a visa being granted (working on assumption of a quick invite as have 80 points, 2 months to submit application and assuming a 4 month processing of application). Need to work it around school holidays.