Return to Qld after 3years in Ireland

noelle

Has anyone done this previously?

We are a family of 5 we returned from Brisbane in 2014 due to a family death, after living there for 3yrs.

We are getting on well here have our own home no mortgage jobs and live in a small village . Kids are happy and don't really want to return. Hubby and I long for the lifestyle again and miss it , I think it can be lonely etc but that's where you make good friends. Going forward we fancy our life out there when the children have grown up etc. anyone in the same boat or similar? Do I up root my kids again to be selfish because I'm not happy and husband is not. Do we just grin and bear it here and forget completely about our visa and let it lapse and move on here ???

Finding I'm in limbo !!!

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

If you're not happy where you are, that will eventually reflect on your kids. Depending on their age, kids are resilient and will cope with a move irrespective of how they feel now. They will likely object initially, particularly if teens, but will/should settle down eventually unless they had some objection to Oz when you were last here

You say that you're both not happy so that's the crux. You're not being selfish............you both want it (I assume). Your happiness comes first and the kid's happiness will follow

• Like 1

Hi Noelle,

What ages are your kids?  Have you guys got PR or citizenship?

Those are key factors in the decison.

Eg if the kids are under 12 and you have PR (so it's use or lose it), I'd say make the call and move out.  If the kids are older and you have citizenship, it may be worth waiting until they finish school.

Ultimately you guys are the adults in the family and make the decisions that you think are best for your family.  It's worth sitting down and doing a pros & cons list with all the factors, it should help cklarify your thinking.

Edited by Collie

Hi Noelle,
What ages are your kids?  Have you guys got PR or citizenship?
Those are key factors in the decison.
Eg if the kids are under 12 and you have PR (so it's use or lose it), I'd say make the call and move out.  If the kids are older and you have citizenship, it may be worth waiting until they finish school.
Ultimately you guys are the adults in the family and make the decisions that you think are best for your family.  It's worth sitting down and doing a pros & cons list with all the factors, it should help cklarify your thinking.

Hi thanks for your reply , our children are 11 ,10 & 3 we will be leaving behind our 17year old daughter as she is adamant she is not coming. We have PR until 2021 . Oh I have done the pros and cons lists and yes the pros out number the cons in Oz and the cons out number the pros in Ireland.

7 hours ago, noelle said:

Hi thanks for your reply , our children are 11 ,10 & 3 we will be leaving behind our 17year old daughter as she is adamant she is not coming. We have PR until 2021 . Oh I have done the pros and cons lists and yes the pros out number the cons in Oz and the cons out number the pros in Ireland.

Right, in that case I'd say go for it before the 11 year old starts secondary school.  You've weighed up all the factors and it is pointing to 1 decision, if you let your PR lapse, I think you will regret it down the line.

Has the eldest done her leaving cert yet?  if not maybe wait until she has that done.  Is she going to go to 3rd level? Does she have family that she can stay with for a couple of years? Look she would probably be moving out in the next few years anyway and she will probably look to come over in a couple of years anyway (ideally before 2021).

Happy mum and dad tend to find they have happy kids. If your really not happy back there i would be making the move despite the kids putting up a fight. They are young enough to adapt and will settle and make friends eventually, just as they did when you returned to the UK.

Is there no way your 17yr old would reactivate the visa and live here until they could get citizenship? It would be a shame for them to lose any right of return as noone knows what the future holds, or where they may want to be in say 10years time.

Lots of luck with your decision

Cal x

Not sure how you work out PR to 2021?  Did you get it after leaving Aus in 2014?

travel portion lasts 5 years from grant, then you would require an RRV to travel.

Hi

Sorry your right it's RRV we have until 2021.

Just a thought - If you guys move before 2021, your eldest may be able to get another RRV before 2021 for an extra year or best case 5 years.  Given that all her family would be in Oz and if she is finishing uni or something I think she would have a strong case.