Moving to Australia as a solo older woman

solotraveller

I emigrated to Australia when my children were younger but came back to the UK when I got divorced. The children are now grown up and want to go back to live with their father. I am looking at relocating myself, fairly nearby, and have no clue where to start and need some advice. I have an Australian passport, recently renewed. I would appreciate advice re medicare, TFN, banking, finding a job....anything. I left nearly 10 years ago....do I need to reapply for a TFN as I dont have details anyway of one I had. So many questions, and dont know where to start. I have no one to help me as at the moment and cannot bear being on the opposite side of the world to my children. I hate the UK winters and have been considering relocating anyway for several years now. Any advice would be appreciated from affordable areas to live in Brisbane, finding work, etc.

Hi I am in the same situation I have. A New Zealand passport and heading over Jan 18' heading to Gold Coast, it really is frightening but having my daughter there with the only grandchildren I will ever have makes me pretty determined to do it. Basically I will have to rent but hope to b able to take a boarder in to help pay for it. I was over last Xmas and rang up and told that on my NZ passport I get the Medicare plus depending on my pension it would be made up to the Aus pension. You mention a TFN can I ask you what that is. I hope your return to Aus goes well, what area are you heading to.

Sent from my iPad using PomsinOz

Hi I am in the same situation I have. A New Zealand passport and heading over Jan 18' heading to Gold Coast, it really is frightening but having my daughter there with the only grandchildren I will ever have makes me pretty determined to do it. Basically I will have to rent but hope to b able to take a boarder in to help pay for it. I was over last Xmas and rang up and told that on my NZ passport I get the Medicare plus depending on my pension it would be made up to the Aus pension. You mention a TFN can I ask you what that is. I hope your return to Aus goes well, what area are you heading to.

Hi, its a tax file number. I am looking to go to Brisbane. Been nearly 10 years since I lived in Queensland and last time I had my husband with me. Now I will be going it alone, looking for a home, work, etc...but if I dont do it now I never will and will always wonder. Its just not knowing where to start.....

4 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I would be a bit careful with the Gold Coast if it were me. I would prefer Brisbane personally or perhaps the Sunshine Coast. There are some lovely areas round Buderim . 

C'mon chook!!!!!!!! The Gold Coast is a big place and some parts are totally liveable with little crime. It gets it's rep from Surfers and Broadwater which are just a small part of the place

• Like 2

2 hours ago, solotraveller said:

Thank you for the advice....is that due to safety?

Safety aside there are other considerations. You say that you want to "go live with their father" Where is he living? Will he move to suit you? What job are you seeking? PM me if you want privacy

If you are an Aussie citizen then you will have little in the way of bureaucratic problems. If anything has expired then you can renew it. You need to contact the state government for a driver's licence.

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/driver-licensing/applying/

For all your Commonwealth Government requirements, register with https://my.gov.au/LoginServices/main/login?execution=e1s1

What is myGov?

A simple and secure way to access government online services:

• Australian JobSearch
  • Australian Taxation Office
  • Centrelink
  • Child Support
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs
  • Medicare
  • My Aged Care
  • My Health Record
  • National Disability Insurance Scheme
  • Victorian Housing Register Application

I would be a bit careful with the Gold Coast if it were me. I would prefer Brisbane personally or perhaps the Sunshine Coast. There are some lovely areas round Buderim . 

Hi
The reason I'm heading there is my daughter lives right on the Gold Coast. Just wish there was a granny annex but never mind. I do like the Sunshine Coast so will maybe have to gave a better look towards the areas bordering onto Gold Coast. I hope all goes well with your move, I'm heading over I Jan, do you know when you are heading back. [emoji846]

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app