Moving from Scotland advice needed

Mcguinnessp1968

Hi everyone

My first post so take it easy on me

I live in Scotland and was approached by a recruitment company recruiting for a company based in Geelong. Long and short of it is I have been offered the job. Salary of $110,000. I've been advised that the company will get me a 457 visa.

So I have loads of questions, is Geelong a nice place to live? What about the salary will that give my partner and I a comfortable way of life? Will my partner be able to find a job? She is unskilled but would be looking for something just to give her some money and to meet people.

I'm reading horror stories about going from a 457 to pr. I turn 49 next week

All replies greatfully received

Geelong is a good place- near some great beaches and some good shops there too. Not too far from the Melbourne CBD either. It has had a few hits recently with various industries closing down ( car industry mostly). I would certainly be wary of a 457 ( thought they were finished?). The salary is fine, you will have no problems living on that but a 457 does not lead to permanent residency, never has - it is a temporary visa. 

Go back to the recruiter and ask whether the $110 k includes or excludes super. Super is short for superannuation which is the Aussie term for pensions. It is mandatory, 9.5% must be paid into a super account in your name which you cannot access until you are around 60 for permanent residents or leave the country.  This will make a noticeable difference to your take home pay.

I am no expert on visas but I think your age will be a big negative for permanent residency so make sure you check this out. Other forum users can hopefully advise.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

Go back to the recruiter and ask whether the $110 k includes or excludes super. Super is short for superannuation which is the Aussie term for pensions. It is mandatory, 9.5% must be paid into a super account in your name which you cannot access until you are around 60 for permanent residents or leave the country.  This will make a noticeable difference to your take home pay.

I am no expert on visas but I think your age will be a big negative for permanent residency so make sure you check this out. Other forum users can hopefully advise.

They've already advised that the 110k does not include superman so this would be paid on top of the 110k.

Yeah I am concerned about the visa situation however I've only just received the job offer so have only begun to investigate the potential pitfalls

The 457 visa is very common, but comes with a big bunch of issues.

The first is that it is temporary and it is vital that you treat this as a temporary move. Depending on which list your occupation falls, will have some baring. If your occupation is only on the short term list, you can only have a 2 year 457, which you may be able to renew for 2 more years. But that would be it.

As you may know, a 457 is tied to the employer. So, if you were to lose your job for any reason, you would have 60 days to find another or leave the country.

The partners of 457 holders can have issues finding work due to the temporary nature of their visa.

But, for you, by far the biggest issue is your age. At present, a 457 holder can apply to be sponsored for a permanent visa up to the age of 50 with the companies agreement. However, from July 1, there are new regulations and this is being reduced to 45. As you would not be able to apply between now and July 1 (You wouldn't have time to get a skills assessment), then you will no be able to become a permanent resident and sooner or later you will have to leave.

• Like 3