Banks / Health Insurance

A.Gordon

Hello all.. I am from London UK & have managed to secure a new job over in Sydney under the sponsorship 457 visa and hope to be out there within 4 months or so. Can anyone offer any advice with regards to opening bank accounts / health insurance / Finding a furnished property to rent within the castle hill district. All advice will be appreciated, Thanks in advance [emoji106]

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Hi there. I've moved your thread as in the wrong forum.

Given you are wanting info on a specific area you may well be best posting in our NSW section and asking with a clear title so people who may be able to help can see it. 

Hi, you can open a bank account before you arrive with most of the major banks

eg: National Australia Bank: https://www.nationalaustraliabank.com/nabglobal/en/banking/migrant-banking

ANZ - http://movingtoaustralia.anz.com/global/en/ 

Commonwealth - https://www.commbank.com.au/personal/can/moving-to-australia.html

All have branches in the Castle Hill area as well

For Health Insurance, if you're just looking at insurance to satisfy the 457 visa requirement while you move over then have a look at https://www.457visacompared.com.au/457-visa-health-insurance/

If you want more comprehensive health insurance, you can compare at https://www.comparethemarket.com.au/health-insurance/

Furnished Rentals:

https://www.domain.com.au/rent/?postcode=2154&ssubs=1&features=furnished

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/in-castle+hill%2c+nsw+2154/list-1?misc=furnished&source=location-search

https://www.stayz.com.au/accommodation/nsw/sydney/castle-hill 

Hey mate,

Have a look through the money section, there are a good few threads on bank accounts already.  Not much between the big 4, my preference is CBA for the quality of their onine/app banking.  INGDirect are good too, particularly fo refunding atm fees

FYI - most rentals in Australis are unfurnished and are quoted by weekly rent.  Domain & Real estate.com.au are best for long term rentals, Stayz and airbnb for short term furnished rentals/

Castle hill is North west Sydney, 45 mins to an hour out of the city.  I don't know the hills district too well, my impression is very much family surburbia.  Public transport not great although the new north west rail link is under construction, may not be ready in time for you.

We opened bank accounts from the UK with ANZ. Did it all over the phone & was super easy. Bank cards were waiting for us the day we landed at our local branch.
As for health insurance, I wouldn't bother unless you have specific illnesses. It's a total rip off & not really needed as Medicare here is fab, although I'm on a permenant 189 visa so will potentially have more access to Medicare services than you'll get on a temporary 457 visa.
We tried to rent a property prior to arriving & wasn't able to, nobody would entertain us, same goes for many other people we know who have made the move - maybe if you offer 6 months rent up front you might be in luck but I wouldn't like your chances sadly. Domain.com.au & Realestate.com.au are the main sites for finding rentals

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Thanks for the advice..

That's concerning regarding the rented accommodation as I was planning to do exactly that and Holiday homes for a month are very costly, What would you recommend?

I've looked into Medicare, I thought this was private health insurance??

Kind Regards
Tony

Thanks for the advice..

That's concerning regarding the rented accommodation as I was planning to do exactly that and Holiday homes for a month are very costly, What would you recommend?

I've looked into Medicare, I thought this was private health insurance??

Kind Regards
Tony

Medicare is just the name for the Aussie version of the NHS. Due to the reciprocal health care agreement with the U.K. Most things you'll get for free regardless of your visa but certain things they 'might' charge you for if you're on a temporary visa. If you're fit & healthy I'd save yourself a few hundred dollars a month & not bother! 'Extras' insurance is worth getting - which is basically just dental insurance - as none of that is covered by Medicare. My friend has just had a check up & 1 filling at the cheapest dental practice she could find & it cost her over $600! Astronomical prices!

Air BnB & Stayz.com.au will be your best bet for finding cheap temporary accommodation. Have you looked at Happyhousesitters.com.au? It's basically a free pet sitting service...people post adverts for somebody to look after their pets whilst they go away on holiday. They don't pay you & you don't pay them in exchange for looking after their pet, however you pay a small membership fee to join the site. We use it all the time for people to look after our cat when we're on holiday. We only found out about it after moving here. We posted on the Sydney Facebook Pom pages before we moved asking if anybody was going on holiday & we were able to look after some bodies house for $500 a week for a month whilst we house hunted for our own place. I'd say happyhousesitters will be your best bet - you'll find loads of opportunities for Sydney!

That's extortionate dental prices! I will need some kind of insurance in place to support my 457 visa so I guess I need to take out the bare minimum and add on dental as an extra.

I've never heard of, Happyhousesitters but I will def look into that.

I've got a lot of work to do but all going to plan we should be over in Sydney around Sep/Oct time ?

Thanks again

That's extortionate dental prices! I will need some kind of insurance in place to support my 457 visa so I guess I need to take out the bare minimum and add on dental as an extra.

I've never heard of, Happyhousesitters but I will def look into that.

I've got a lot of work to do but all going to plan we should be over in Sydney around Sep/Oct time ?

Thanks again

Yes it's crazy the cost of dental here! I've heard of people needing more complicated stuff like root canals & crowns etc & getting quoted $5,000+ so they've either gone to Asia or back to the UK to get the work done as it was cheaper to pay for flights & private work in the said country!

Some friends of ours moved over on a 457 a few months back & were told they needed private medical insurance, turns out it's only a moral obligation & not a legal one so they cancelled theres after arriving...check it out!

Any other questions please do ask...we also live in Sydney, on the northern beaches!

Also, if you earn over $90,000 or have a combined income with your partner of $180,000 before tax you get charged around $1,000 a year by the government when you lodge your annual tax return as they argue you shouldn't use Medicare as you can afford private. They call it the Medicare levy. If you fall into that bracket & take out private insurance you don't get hammered with the levy so many high income earns take over the cheapest cover to avoid the levy...if that makes sense?!

I'll just clarify a few points..

48 minutes ago, aconcannon said:

My friend has just had a check up & 1 filling at the cheapest dental practice she could find & it cost her over $600! Astronomical prices!

That's a ridiculous price. I'm in Sydney and have never been charged anything like $600 for a checkup and filling. Here are some detail of average dental costs in NSW. Typical cost for a checkup and filling would be up to $250. https://www.choice.com.au/health-and-body/dentists-and-dental-care/dental-treatment/articles/dental-fees

19 minutes ago, aconcannon said:

Some friends of ours moved over on a 457 a few months back & were told they needed private medical insurance, turns out it's only a moral obligation & not a legal one so they cancelled theres after arriving...check it out!

It is a pre-requisite that people on a 457 visa have private health insurance. Nothing to do with being a moral obligation - they won't issue the visa without it. If the 457 visa holder qualifies for Medicare under the reciprocal agreement with the UK then they can use that instead of the private insurance. Hence 457 visa holders often cancel their private health insurance after their arrival.

16 minutes ago, aconcannon said:

Also, if you earn over $90,000 or have a combined income with your partner of $180,000 before tax you get charged around $1,000 a year by the government when you lodge your annual tax return as they argue you shouldn't use Medicare as you can afford private. They call it the Medicare levy. If you fall into that bracket & take out private insurance you don't get hammered with the levy so many high income earns take over the cheapest cover to avoid the levy...if that makes sense?!

Everyone pays the Medicare Levy. It's 1.5% of your taxable income and covers the cost of Medicare. You are referring to the Medicare Levy Surcharge which is an additional charge made to high-ish income earners who do not have private health insurance.

• Like 1

Well, I think it's safe to say that you have just saved me £££'s with the health insurance, I will be taking this to my agent at the migration company. Thank you!

I will come just under that income bracket so I can avoid that additional levy charge.

The Northern beaches district looks ideal for my family and I but maybe to pricey initially so we are also checking out the Castle Hill district which also ticks the right boxes as I have two young daughters coming up to school age.. My partner is qualified in child care and is hoping to secure a part time position when we arrive, I have got a senior position with a company situated in, Silverwater who have sponsored me to come over.

Thank you so much for the advice [emoji106]

• Like 1

I'll just clarify a few points..
Everyone pays the Medicare Levy. It's 1.5% of your taxable income and covers the cost of Medicare. You are referring to the Medicare Levy Surcharge which is an additional charge made to high-ish income earners who do not have private health insurance.

Thanks for your input & your link. It states the average cost of a check up is $231 & fillings can range from $153 - $285...doing the maths that's $384 - $516, based on 'average' costs. I'm due a filing myself, would love to know which dentist you use for such reasonably priced dental work as I'll most definitely be going there as it sounds like I'll save a good amount!

• Like 1

Well, I think it's safe to say that you have just saved me £££'s with the health insurance, I will be taking this to my agent at the migration company. Thank you!

I will come just under that income bracket so I can avoid that additional levy charge.

The Northern beaches district looks ideal for my family and I but maybe to pricey initially so we are also checking out the Castle Hill district which also ticks the right boxes as I have two young daughters coming up to school age.. My partner is qualified in child care and is hoping to secure a part time position when we arrive, I have got a senior position with a company situated in, Silverwater who have sponsored me to come over.

Thank you so much for the advice [emoji106]

You're more than welcome! As mentioned above by the other person it looks like you'll have to take out a policy in order to obtain the visa but can cancel once your visa has been granted.

The northern beaches are superb, I wouldn't live anywhere else in Sydney. I don't know much about the area you're looking st but I'm sure it's lovely - Sydney is an amazing place & very beautiful!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A.Gordon said:

Thank you so much for the advice emoji106.png

Ok - the Northern beaches are nice but not practical if work is in Silverwater, that's a 90 min commute.  Sydney traffic is horrendus.

For Silverwater, may be look Inner west, Lane Cove, Ryde Gladesville,  basically between Silverwater and the city

I could tell that it was quite a distance! I just love being near the coast! I will def take a look into those areas thanks. Castle Hill seems to be popular for young families too, I'm no snob but looking to reside in a safe area for my girls [emoji106]

Ok - the Northern beaches are nice but not practical if work is in Silverwater, that's a 90 min commute.  Sydney traffic is horrendus.

For Silverwater, may be look Inner west, Lane Cove, Ryde Gladesville,  basically between Silverwater and the city

I wasn't aware where Silverwater was so I just did some Google mapping to there from Brookvale on the northern beaches & it says a 45 minute/19 mile drive, that's at 8am (current time) but it is a public holiday so I'm guessing the roads aren't as busy as they would be on a normal working day?!

5 hours ago, aconcannon said:

I wasn't aware where Silverwater was so I just did some Google mapping to there from Brookvale on the northern beaches & it says a 45 minute/19 mile drive, that's at 8am (current time) but it is a public holiday so I'm guessing the roads aren't as busy as they would be on a normal working day?!

Yep - no chance of doing that on a work day in 45 minutes, maybe in a helicoptor.  I would think you need to double that and Google maps has you going through the Lane cove tunnel which is tolled ($33 per week).

Change the time to 8am on a work day and it will say 50mins to 2 hours.  It would take 45mins to 1 hour to get to North Sydney.  Military road is a car park at peak hour.

If you are going to commute a distance, invest in a motor bike, far quicker and cheaper and can use the bus lanes. 

Concord is quite nice and worth a look.

Edited by Collie
  • Like 1

Hi Guys,

Call me stupid but I'm really struggling to understand the Health insurance requirements to support my 457 application (4 year) due to the reciprocal agreement between Uk & Oz and enrolling with Medicare.

1. What is the minimal term of insurance I can buy to support my 457?

2. How do I enrol with Medicare?

3. What is the best way to deal with the Health insurance requirements?

Thanks in advance
Tony