Do I need form 47a for an independent child?

Hoping someone here who has had experience with form 47a could help. My partner is applying for a prospective marriage visa and he has a son who is in his mid twenties and independent. Does he need to fill out form 47a? On the form it says 'Details of child or other dependent family member aged 18 years or over' and further down it reads 'This form must be completed for each member of the family unit aged 18 years or over whether migrating or not'.

The way I read it is that it's only if the child over 18 is dependent, but then I get confused because it says it must be completed by each family unit member over 18, whether they're migrating or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your response. I did end up ringing immigration and was told we would need form 47a as it states that the form must be 'completed for each member of the family unit aged 18 years or over whether migrating or not'. But when uploading our documents to the application, there is no mention of form 47a in the menu and the only section that I see where it could be uploaded is under is 'evidence of dependency'. However, we're not trying to provide evidence of dependency as our boy is independent. 

3 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Its only for dependent family members. 

Thank you for your response. I did end up ringing immigration twice yesterday and was told both times that it didn't matter if our boy was independent or not, we needed to provide it, which totally contradicts the document checklist in the partner booklet which states that it is only for dependent children. 

8 hours ago, appletwist said:

Thank you for your response. I did end up ringing immigration twice yesterday and was told both times that it didn't matter if our boy was independent or not, we needed to provide it, which totally contradicts the document checklist in the partner booklet which states that it is only for dependent children. 

I wouldn't trust advice from the call centre any more than I'd trust advice from a turkey - See wrussell's comment above. 

It's for dependents, whether migrating or not.

Edited by Nemesis

• 1 year later...