Is Bali Safe..?

KLeanne

Hi all, looking for opinions on whether Bali is safe to travel and stay? My partner, baby and I are planning on traveling there from Aus , but he is not sure, as he feels it's unsafe, due to terrorism. I said it's probably no more unsafe than London at the moment, but he has ignited a bit of worry, due to our daughters safety. Would you go??

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Bali is beautiful, we have been twice in last 7 months and going again for Christmas. Though we going gili air this time as donebali now. People in Bali are so friendly it's Unreal. Loads of couples there with young children. Is any where in this world safe at the moment. North Pole I suppose but even then the ice caps are melting.

• Like 1

Bali is lovely and so are the Balinese. Tourism is the main industry and the locals treat tourists very well. Its full of Aussies and Kiwis. In some respects it reminds me of Ibiza and Majorca:not culturaly or physically of couse but all 3 Islands are holiday hot spots. You will find a mix of families and 20 somethings having fun in the sun.

Terrorists can strike anywhere I would be as worried by a trip to Heathrow as a trip  to Bali. The main concern would be the strict attitude to drugs, even a spliff will see you in serious trouble but thats hardly an issue at your daughters age.

• Like 1

Bali is beautiful, we have been twice in last 7 months and going again for Christmas. Though we going gili air this time as donebali now. People in Bali are so friendly it's Unreal. Loads of couples there with young children. Is any where in this world safe at the moment. North Pole I suppose but even then the ice caps are melting.

1 hour ago, KLeanne said:

Yes I've made him aware :) He Was more worried because an attack happened last month, and he's heard a lot from friends. But I really do think we are more at risk traveling to Heathrow!

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

I would be more worried about the monkeys and the fake alcohol. My nephew was bitten and had a $5000 medical bill. Thankfully the travel insurance covered it.

• Like 1

Don't go kuta though that is very touristy and as someone mentioned a bit like ibiza. We went ubud for a week which is inland and very laid back there. Then a week week in sanur which is on the beach. 

Thank you, sounds lush! We like laid back rather than party! We are 15 mon drive from Kuta beach, so hopefully not too close!

I am in Bali  every couple of months or so and as others have said terrorism can strike anywhere.  There are some areas I try and avoid but security is taken reasonably seriously there i.e. hotels, restaurants etc you and your belongings can be subjected to a search.  The Balinese are a lovely race of people and in general I am very comfortable there.  Traffic is horrendous so maybe take this into account when choosing your resort. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Bali is beautiful but avoid Kuta beach unless you like loud-mouthed bogans! When we were there we drank mainly beer ( we weren't too sure about the water) It seems weaker than our beer and you don't get drunk on it (unless you have a real lot). We loved it up near Ubud and there are some gorgeous unspoilt coastal areas too. Not a terrorist in sight- most of the Balinese seem to be peace loving Buddhists

• Like 1

Bali is beautiful but avoid Kuta beach unless you like loud-mouthed bogans! When we were there we drank mainly beer ( we weren't too sure about the water) It seems weaker than our beer and you don't get drunk on it (unless you have a real lot). We loved it up near Ubud and there are some gorgeous unspoilt coastal areas too. Not a terrorist in sight- most of the Balinese seem to be peace loving Buddhists

Thank you. We are about 15 minutes from Kuta , so hopefully not too close!

The most dangerous thing about Bali is walking at night. Lack of street lighting, broken footpaths, loose chunks of concrete, open pits and drains in the middle of footpaths are very dangerous. So always take a torch when walking at night. Mate of mine rented a villa for 6 weeks for a surfing holiday on the second night he fell down an open drain pit when walking back from dinner. He spent the rest of his holiday on crutches and couldn't do any activities. Ubud was particularly bad when I was last there 5 years ago - you really have to watch your step even in daylight.

• Like 1

The most dangerous thing about Bali is walking at night. Lack of street lighting, broken footpaths, loose chunks of concrete, open pits and drains in the middle of footpaths are very dangerous. So always take a torch when walking at night. Mate of mine rented a villa for 6 weeks for a surfing holiday on the second night he fell down an open drain pit when walking back from dinner. He spent the rest of his holiday on crutches and couldn't do any activities. Ubud was particularly bad when I was last there 5 years ago - you really have to watch your step even in daylight.

Thank you! We most certainly will, especially as I'll be pushing a pram. Shouldn't be out after dark, but will definitely take w torch if we do happen to.