189 or 190, what was your approach?

Hi all, we as a couple have decided to start the migration process and we have earmarked the 189 visa as the one we would choose. Have any of you experienced or heard of someone looking at the 189 then changing to the 190 upon getting sponsorship? At the moment I do not have a sponsor but I will be hunting for one as soon as we start the process so in my mind I'm thinking of dropping the 189 for a 190 of possible. Thanks

13 minutes ago, MissionMelbourne said:

Hi all, we as a couple have decided to start the migration process and we have earmarked the 189 visa as the one we would choose. Have any of you experienced or heard of someone looking at the 189 then changing to the 190 upon getting sponsorship? At the moment I do not have a sponsor but I will be hunting for one as soon as we start the process so in my mind I'm thinking of dropping the 189 for a 190 of possible. Thanks

You can submit two EOIs for each so suggest you prepare all 189 documentations and the replicate for a 190 EOI as required.

However if you are eligible for a 189 why would you look at a 190?

9 minutes ago, Ferrets said:

You can submit two EOIs for each so suggest you prepare all 189 documentations and the replicate for a 190 EOI as required.

However if you are eligible for a 189 why would you look at a 190?

Just from a jobs perspective really, but I suppose there's no harm in applying for jobs whilst in the 189 process

Maybe you're confusing the 190 (state-sponsored) with a 186/187 (employer-sponsored) visa?  You can apply for and be granted a 190 visa without looking for or finding a job.  Most often people apply for the 190 instead of the 189 only if they need the extra points or if their occupation is only on the short-term list (previously the CSOL).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MaggieMay24 said:

Maybe you're confusing the 190 (state-sponsored) with a 186/187 (employer-sponsored) visa?  You can apply for and be granted a 190 visa without looking for or finding a job.  Most often people apply for the 190 instead of the 189 only if they need the extra points or if their occupation is only on the short-term list (previously the CSOL).

Yes thats excatly whats happened, I've looked into the 189 quite a lot but barely touched on the 190. I just saw the 190 was sponsored so I presumed it was employer sponsored rather than state so I had a little panic! Ive calculated that ill get 70 points so it makes sense to stick with the 189! Always learning! Thanks!

190 is state sponsored. Different states have different requirements to meet. I chose 190 over 189 as I had 55 points before ILETS and I couldn't be bothered to sit it plus had a local state office who were very helpful and gave very prompt sponsorship (I was already in the state on a 457).