Crime - is it really that bad?

Fosh

I don't live in Melbourne but have visited a few times and have a friend there, crime has never been an issue more than any other city a similar size. I know she doesn't feel 'safe' at the train station at night, with unsavoury looking types loitering around, but little different from Perth or UK cities for that matter. She isn't in the greatest of suburbs either, according to crime stats, but after two plus years in her house, I haven't heard her complain unduly of crime issues.

Obviously crime issues exist. Not sure though why they would be a reason not to move. Surely more pressing issues of a day to day nature?

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @Fosh there is only one Suburb, maybe two out of the whole of Melbourne that I would be a little unsure of walking alone at night. There were plenty of areas in the UK I wouldn't dare walk around Day or night. 

We never use to lock our doors and often ended up leaving the car unlocked with the keys in the ignition. 

Obviously there is Crime and some areas have a higher crime rate than others but you don't have to be worried about it.

I wouldn't walk round many of the Melbourne suburbs at night these days- they are dire.  The police are just not there anymore. . Probably ok early in the evening but definitely not after about 9.30-10 ish. Big contrast on our recent visit to the Sunshine Coast which seems totally safe and lovely. I am afraid Melbourne has really gone downhill in the last 5 years.

Agree with everyone's comments. Melbourne is a lot safer than back home. We have family in the northern suburbs and they've never faced any problems. We live in the city and been out late nights many times without any problems. Yes, there are a few suburbs you avoid and some you never go to but that's nothing compared to UK

One thing we have noticed is that Melbourne news (TV and paper) tend to have an overbearing coverage of petty crimes in the suburbs which we find weird. Overall, crime rates across Melbourne are no where as close to the numbers in UK, and with fewer social housing and destitute people as a percentage of the population, crime rates are honestly not high.

KnK

7 hours ago, Kenfrapin said:

Agree with everyone's comments. Melbourne is a lot safer than back home. We have family in the northern suburbs and they've never faced any problems. We live in the city and been out late nights many times without any problems. Yes, there are a few suburbs you avoid and some you never go to but that's nothing compared to UK

One thing we have noticed is that Melbourne news (TV and paper) tend to have an overbearing coverage of petty crimes in the suburbs which we find weird. Overall, crime rates across Melbourne are no where as close to the numbers in UK, and with fewer social housing and destitute people as a percentage of the population, crime rates are honestly not high.

KnK

That would depend where back home is I suppose.

16 minutes ago, Parley said:

But this can happen at any time in any country no matter where you live, it isn't something that would happen only if we lived in Australia

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Current+Affairs/Crime 

KnK

Hi few of you have mentioned that there are few suburbs you would avoid - could you please name them here so that people like me who are planning to move to Melbourne know about them. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pm79 said:

Hi few of you have mentioned that there are few suburbs you would avoid - could you please name them here so that people like me who are planning to move to Melbourne know about them. Thanks.

This might interest you http://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/hindi/en/article/2016/12/15/revealed-top-20-most-burgled-suburbs-2015-16

• Like 1

I've been to Melbourne a few times and it feels a LOT safer than home (London). The door to the place we were renting in west Melbs wouldn't close properly and I came home a few times finding the door wide open - with nothing stolen.

I've been told suburbs like North Melbourne were best avoided though. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
On 26/05/2017 at 21:43, pm79 said:

Hi @pm79 it's hard because what I don't like others may think is a lovely area. One area I showed a family around 8 years ago, I wouldn't live there if you paid me but they absolutely loved it. They asked my opinion, noted my response, moved there and settled in really well. I don't mean to sound snobbish as I'm far from it but I suppose it's what you are use to and where you come from. If you lived in the roughest estate in the UK then it would probably be paradise.

The ones I wouldn't personally live in are

Doveton (not if you gave me a free house)

Dandenong (although there are some nice areas around)

Springvale (even though we have rellies there)

Frankston North

Scumshine (Sorry Sunshine)

What I will say is don't look at avoiding the suburbs with the highest crime rates, these results are always wrong, basically because if there is a brand new estate going in to an area a lot of the thiefs travel to steal building materials. Also thieves don't usually strike in their own back yard, it's usually the more affluent suburbs that get hit.

Guest The Pom Queen
On 31/05/2017 at 05:42, TheWayOfThePony said:

I've been to Melbourne a few times and it feels a LOT safer than home (London). The door to the place we were renting in west Melbs wouldn't close properly and I came home a few times finding the door wide open - with nothing stolen.

I've been told suburbs like North Melbourne were best avoided though. 

You see that's how we are all different.  I worked in North Melbourne and often walked down to work at 4am and never once did I feel unsafe. Mind you that was a good few years ago now, things change.

Hi [mention=240728]pm79[/mention] it's hard because what I don't like others may think is a lovely area. One area I showed a family around 8 years ago, I wouldn't live there if you paid me but they absolutely loved it. They asked my opinion, noted my response, moved there and settled in really well. I don't mean to sound snobbish as I'm far from it but I suppose it's what you are use to and where you come from. If you lived in the roughest estate in the UK then it would probably be paradise.
The ones I wouldn't personally live in are
Doveton (not if you gave me a free house)
Dandenong (although there are some nice areas around)
Springvale (even though we have rellies there)
Frankston North
Scumshine (Sorry Sunshine)

What I will say is don't look at avoiding the suburbs with the highest crime rates, these results are always wrong, basically because if there is a brand new estate going in to an area a lot of the thiefs travel to steal building materials. Also thieves don't usually strike in their own back yard, it's usually the more affluent suburbs that get hit.

@thepomqueen thank you very much for your reply. We are thinking of sending our kids to overnewton anglican school keilor campus. Hence thinking of renting in Keilor, keilor east, keilor downs or taylors hill. How do you feel about these areas considering they are pretty close to sunshine and st Albans.

@thepomqueen thank you very much for your reply. We are thinking of sending our kids to overnewton anglican school keilor campus. Hence thinking of renting in Keilor, keilor east, keilor downs or taylors hill. How do you feel about these areas considering they are pretty close to sunshine and st Albans.

It's Caroline springs you need to look into which is near. Alot of crime there at the moment, lots of families moving out. Been told Taylor's lakes is okay.

Sent from my SM-G920F using PomsinOz mobile app

Guest The Pom Queen

Keilor village is probably the best of them. However, like I said I know plenty of people who move to the others and are happy. I would suggest taking out a short term rental and having a look when you arrive.