Sound reccie advice for WA please?

mr luvpants

Hi

We are going to be in the Perth area from the 22nd Oct - 29th October. I really really need your help here as the sole purpose for the trip is to decide whether we want to live in WA or QL.Can anyone offer some advice please:

We are looking at spending around the $450'000 on a 4 bed house.We dont want to start a major debate here but we want to live in a nice area not too far (an hour) from the beach.Can we have some recomendations please as to where else to look at? So far we have Mandurah, Port Kennedy and Bunbury on our list. If you dont want to post for fear of flack then please PM us with your recomendations, good and bad. I can not stress enough that we need your advice as we have not been to WA.

We only have 7 days in the area so are we better of having one base and travelling each day or are these places a logistical nightmare to get to and so would be better hiring a base north and a base south of Perth?

Any recomendations for car hire?

Any recomendations as to where to stay?

We know we are asking a lot but this trip has to be right. This will be our last chance to come to Oz before we move there. We have asked Lisa's parents to come with us when we go for good on a CPV and although her mum has said yes, her dad is adamant that he will not be coming with us to oz when we go.BUT they have agreed to accompany us our on this reccie and we are just hoping that he falls in love with it and says yes!

Thanks again Guys. I have found this site invaluable.:notworthy:

Lisa and John

Guest David1805

Hi Lisa & John,

Funnily enough we are doing a reccie to Perth 17th to the 30th Oct. We are staying at O'Sullivans Hotel in Perth. It was appears to be good value. Could not find anywhere that did B&B though so suspect it will cost a small fortune to each out each day etc.... Looks like you are looking at the same price range of houses and I also wanted to live about an hour from the beach. We would really like a place with a pool though :jiggy:. I guess we wold also be looking for similiar advice as well. We booked car hire through a travel agent... cannot remember who it is with but I could not get it any cheaper than they could ... so maybe worth checking with your travel agent.

Where are you from in the UK? I have a jib already in Perth... just completing the forms for the visa which has the hospital have nominated me for....:spinny:.

Hope it works out....might even see you there!!

David, Beverley and Bethany

Hi Lisa & John,

Funnily enough we are doing a reccie to Perth 17th to the 30th Oct. We are staying at O'Sullivans Hotel in Perth. It was appears to be good value. Could not find anywhere that did B&B though so suspect it will cost a small fortune to each out each day etc.... Looks like you are looking at the same price range of houses and I also wanted to live about an hour from the beach. We would really like a place with a pool though :jiggy:. I guess we wold also be looking for similiar advice as well. We booked car hire through a travel agent... cannot remember who it is with but I could not get it any cheaper than they could ... so maybe worth checking with your travel agent.

Where are you from in the UK? I have a jib already in Perth... just completing the forms for the visa which has the hospital have nominated me for....:spinny:.

Interesting! My wife is a nurse (i take it you are as well). We live in Essex. How about you? What areas have you narrowed it down to?

JOHN

Have a look on Australia migration - suburb profiles, accommodation, schools, real estate, jobs in Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra, Darwin and Hobart as this will show you a list of suburbs and average house prices so you can have an idea of what's within your price range and whats not and also give you approximate distanace to the city. The areas you mentioned are close to the beach, I have a friend who lives in Port Kennedy and she loves it there, her only complaint is it's a 45 min drive to work, which she's getting a bit fed up with. I don't really know the suburbs north of river so can't comment, but Yorkshire Pom lives nor and may be able to reccomend some areas.

Ali

Hi Lisa & John,

Just bumping this up!

Guest David1805

Hi John,

Yes I am a nurse. Going to the King Edward Memorial to do Neonatal ITU. We have not narrow any areas down yet. HOw about you?

David

Guest kiwi

Reccie advice: - Print off a map of the suburbs you like the look of, go online to realestate.com or similar site and put crosses on a few spots where you find the sort of house you'd like. This way when you get there you can check if the area measures up, or if all the reasonably priced houses are in a grotty area.

We found it much easier to get lost in Perth than Brisbane, for some reason, but after a few days you get used to it and work out your route beforehand, or just go with the flow and stop occasionally to figure out how to get back to the main road. We did both as I didn't want to have my head in a map and miss everything. You can also get a street index from the car hire company, which is helpful around the suburbs, or a GPS.

A camper would probably be cheaper as you area travelling quite widely, but we stayed in Perth city (Ocean Beach hotel - overpriced. Sundowner - North Beach - nice and friendly) and in Bunbury (Lighthouse Resort - very reasonable room rates with a view and restaurant) and when we accidentally turned up at the airport a day early we went back to the Comfort Hotel in Hay Street, which was fine). :embarrassed:

Take an accommodation guide or print out a few options, as the accommodation we had booked for the first night was awful, and it's not easy looking for somewhere to stay in the dark, when you don't know where you're going.

Lastly, take time to do something fun even though you aren't on holiday. Although you're there on business, you can get jaded looking at houses and suburbs. If it's warm enough go swim at the beach, go hug koalas, take a river cruise or wine tour, go hunting for nightlife, or whatever. It all helps with the lasting impression.

Guest kiwi

At this point more confused than ever. I want to move Hervey Bay to within half an hour's drive of Perth and move Perth to Queensland. Would that be OK? :goofy:

The job thing will probably decide it. OH is unwilling to take too much risk on this front, but had an interesting job interview in Perth.

The weather was a definite draw card though 20 -25 in Brisbane.

Mr Luvpants take a look at our blog. One more day and some Brisbane photos to go on when I can muster the energy. cruising time

Guest brooksey

Mandurah is a nice quint seaside town and would be great if you wanted a quiet 60 year old life over an hours drive to Perth. (Wifes aunt livesthere). Have a look at Jundaloop and surrounds . Its in your price range, 5 to 10 mins to beach, 20 to 30 mins to centre, Train station, good shopping centres and 3 pubs . The old bailey on a Friday evening/night is a great night. (all pommy builders meet on friday at 4ish. Hillarys boat harbour is close and is a great place to chill. We wre going to move there but have decided to go to Brisbane on 11th sept instesd because of work. Never been to Brisbane but hey ho.

We like Leeming (obviously 'cos we live here), older suburb ... so older houses in general. House prices in this suburb are around the $550,00+ for 4x2. Ideal location for us as we wanted to be near the city (10 mins by train) and 20 mins from Freo (about 15mins to coogee beach). Only a 25 min commute to work for me (I'm a nurse in Armadale).

Ali

Archived