recommended suburbs for young couple....

TDRudds

Hi, 

Myself and my husband are moving to Sydney in 3 weeks and we have started looking at properties to rent in Sydney.

Neither of us have jobs but we are aiming to get jobs in the CBD... so I would appreciate some advise on a suburb to rent in..... ideally close to a beach (like everyone) & a decent commute to the city (approx 45 mins on public transport)

i have looked at bondi junction, Kensington, Maroubra, Randwick and Rose Bay .... any info on any of these suburbs would be helpful. 

thank you :)

3 hours ago, TDRudds said:

Hi, 

Myself and my husband are moving to Sydney in 3 weeks and we have started looking at properties to rent in Sydney.

Neither of us have jobs but we are aiming to get jobs in the CBD... so I would appreciate some advise on a suburb to rent in..... ideally close to a beach (like everyone) & a decent commute to the city (approx 45 mins on public transport)

i have looked at bondi junction, Kensington, Maroubra, Randwick and Rose Bay .... any info on any of these suburbs would be helpful. 

Depends on what your budget is and what requirements you want in a property - everyone wants close to the beach and the city so rental prices are very high. You have other suburbs like the Innerwest which is a great commute to the CBD but not by a beach, however the beach is not a long drive away. Have you looked at realestate.com.au?

Bondi Junction would be my pick. Has everything - mammoth shopping centre, the beach down the road and only 7 minutes on a train to the city. You wouldn't need a car.

Any of the other suburbs you mention would be fine, too. Kensington/Kingsford has a huge amount of student accommodation as it's so close to UNSW, so maybe not quite what you're looking for but all eastern suburbs on the coast or immediately behind the coast are fine. Once you get down to Maroubra the commute to the city is going to take longer, and the suburbs to the south of Maroubra are not as salubrious or desirable as those to the north.

You could also check out Waterloo, Rosebery, Zetland, Alexandria. All of which have huge numbers of new apartments, most with reasonable rents (for Sydney ;-)).

Also Surry Hills is currently hipster central if you like that sort of thing.

Inner west is best!

Eastern suburbs are backpackers and stuck up wannabees, Winter is coming too, so beach not as relevant for about 6 months.

Balmain, Rozelle - look no further, best suburbs in Sydney, Newtown worth a look for more lively nightlife and a bit of diversity -  nice vibe.

There's probably lots of places, and it depends on what you like. People seem to knock the eastern suburbs a bit, but in the two years I've lived here, I've never met anyone who lived or had lived there who didn't like it. Most of them love it. I freelance around the city and meet a lot of people. It does seem the place to be if you don't have kids yet and want the maximum sydney beach lifestyle.

It's maybe a bit pricey, and the only reason some of those people move away is because they starting having kids and wanted more space and wanted to buy or wanted more space for their rent money.

For young ish couples it seems it's just the ticket.

If you like the beach, nice alternatives could be manly/freshwater. A little longer on the bus but you can jump on a ferry. All lovely places.

Inner west is super cool and where younger people live but it's not beachy. But there are cars and buses and it's not so far. All the people I know from the inner west also love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bondi / Bondi Junction or Manly / Freshwater / Queenscliffe are probably your best options in terms of wanting a beach suburb with plenty going on for young people & within a close commute of the city. There are loads of backpackers in Bondi & the Junction & the beach gets rammed, which is what put us off living there, but it's really close to the city. We chose Manly as it's just as lively as Bondi & only a short (very scenic) 20 minute ferry ride into the city. The whole of the northern beaches are amazing, just an endless amount of stunning beaches & lakes all really close to one another. You don't get the stupid crazy traffic like you do in the eastern suburbs & it has a really nice surfer vibe! Definitely feels like your on holiday every day!

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/04/2017 at 5:39 AM, TDRudds said:

Hi, 

Three weeks on from April 20th, you must have just arrived? Bondi Junction is probably the most convenient with both train and bus to the city and buses to other parts of the Eastern Suburbs but you might prefer one of the other places you mention. I was talking to a girl the other day who told me she has bought a flat with her husband in Maroubra Junction.

I like Rose Bay, at least the part around New South Road rather than the other bit on Old South Head Road. I often stop on the way back from swims at Nielsen Park or Watsons Bay for Thai food. It's got a decent pub there too. Ferry to the city as well as the bus. I don't know if you can actually swim at Rose Bay as although there is a beach, there's no shark net. It's got a lovely promenade towards Double Bay which reminds me of England for some reason.

My biased advice would be to live here in Surry Hills where you can walk everywhere including the city and get a bus to whichever beach you fancy or swim in the pool in Prince Alfred Park.

Archived