Car insurance

MichaelDS

It depends a bit on the type of car.  My car insurance this year was $795 for a two year old Nissan X-trail which I have owned from new, never had an accident or so much as a speeding ticket, 42 year old female.  My OH's insurance was about the same on a much older car, he is 39, has had speeding tickets and made a claim once (in the UK).  I did notice that our insurances dropped once OH got over 35.  We manage with one car now, as the train fare is cheaper than car ownership with OH as he can bike to the station.

This is for fully comp insurance, which is on top of CTP (compulsory third party) which was $603.  I only know this because I have been sorting paperwork out and it is right next to me!

Edited by LKC
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MichaelDS said:

Hi. Arriving in Sydney in May and will be purchasing a car immediately. What's the likely cost of car insurance, fully comp for 32yr old male and 31yr old female ? 

When we got here we had a little trouble insuring without Australian driving licenses, but Virgin insurance came through ok on the UK ones, if you get stuck.

As LKC says, you need to do CTP as well as your own personal insurance.  CTP is a charge irrelevant to age and experience..you just choose from various suppliers per state but the price is fairly even between them.  You shop around for your personal stuff.  As an example, our CTP in Canberra is about $550, but personal insurance is another $700 for a 2 litre SUV.   We're in our 40's.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

We pay $550 for a Mazda 3 sports, this is with Aami, every year I compare around ten other companies and they always come back the cheapest for me.

• 3 months later...
On 09/04/2017 at 19:23, snifter said:

I'd try the comparison sites and see what they give you. Can vary depending on area and make of car etc.

Worth also looking at companies not on the comparison sites.  For me this year Youi came in much cheaper (at less than half my renewal premium) at $70 less than the cheapest on comparison sites.

Oddly though their quote for house and contrnts insurance was more than 3 times the best deal.  Literally $1700 more on the annual premium.  It is essential to take the time to shop around as I have literally saved $650 this month for car and house insurance combined by switching.

Where are you going to live and work in Sydney?  What are you looking to use the car for?

If you are in inner Sydney, a car can be a liability.  Sydney traffic is horrendus, tolls are expensive and parking can be hard to find.

There are some great car share schemes with cars all over inner Sydney where you rent a car by the hour when you need one.  I used Go get and found them great.

Something to consider