Renewing Australian Passport before expiry date

Wanderer Returns

Dear forum members, my Australian passport expires in September and I'm trying to find out the earliest that I can apply to renew it? Also, will my 'unused months' be added to the life of the renewed passport, or do you just get 10 years starting from the date of renewal? (meaning it would be better to wait as long as possible before renewing). Has anyone renewed their passport recently? I was just wondering what the length of time for the process was too?

I believe that I will need to travel to London to complete the renewal process and that's not very convenient from where I live, which is why I wish to plan ahead a little.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

We had to do this recently as OH's passport had around 7 months on it, but wouldn't have had 6 months remaining when we go on our upcoming overseas trip.

Basically no, we didn't get credited with the extra time. His passport expired in August, and we got it reissued in February, and the expiry dates from when it was reissued in Feb.  Would have left it longer except we have a trip planned and don't take chances of being denied at the airport.

Many thanks for the info, and also for the links.

As I definitely won't need my Australian passport before next January I'll leave it as long as possible before renewing – probably November, as they say the turnaround is only three weeks. I recall when I renewed my British passport they credited the unused months on my new passport, but it would seem that the Australian government doesn't do that. Best try and get as much time as possible, as they are not cheap these days! O.o

Archived