Surinder Singh Route - Get your partner in to the UK

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

As anyone ever heard, used or considered using the Surinder Singh Route?

The ‘Surinder Singh route’ has become well known to British citizens seeking to be reunited with their family members. The toughening up of UK immigration rules in July 2012 – particularly the introduction of the minimum income rule and its labyrinthine documentary requirements and the awful elderly dependent relative rules – has resulted in an ever increasing number of split families. The Childrens’ Commissioner has described affected families with children as “Skype Families”.

An old Court of Justice of the European Union case called Surinder Singh provides a potential means to rely on family-friendly EU free movement laws rather than the harsh UK immigration rules. There are other relevant cases and laws to consider, though: primarily a newer case called O and B v The Netherlands C‑456/12 and the UK’s own interpretation of this case law as set out in the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016.

This is a great article about it https://www.freemovement.org.uk/surinder-singh-immigration-route/

I know we have had some of our members who have married Aussies and struggled to get back. I'm not sure if this Route remains an option especially after brexit.

As anyone ever heard, used or considered using the Surinder Singh Route?

The ‘Surinder Singh route’ has become well known to British citizens seeking to be reunited with their family members. The toughening up of UK immigration rules in July 2012 – particularly the introduction of the minimum income rule and its labyrinthine documentary requirements and the awful elderly dependent relative rules – has resulted in an ever increasing number of split families. The Childrens’ Commissioner has described affected families with children as “Skype Families”.

An old Court of Justice of the European Union case called Surinder Singh provides a potential means to rely on family-friendly EU free movement laws rather than the harsh UK immigration rules. There are other relevant cases and laws to consider, though: primarily a newer case called O and B v The Netherlands C‑456/12 and the UK’s own interpretation of this case law as set out in the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016.

This is a great article about it https://www.freemovement.org.uk/surinder-singh-immigration-route/

I know we have had some of our members who have married Aussies and struggled to get back. I'm not sure if this Route remains an option especially after brexit.

Not as viable an option as it used to be. Many Surinder Singh applicants are now being refused as Immigration do not believe they have sufficiently moved their 'centre of life' to the other EU country, and although the route isn't totally closed yet it is no longer recommended as an easy solution.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,
As a British citizen I used EU Treaty Rights and call my parents from Pakistan. They have successfully secured 5-Years Dependent Residence permit for a family member of Union Citizen in Dec 15.

We came to UK and applied for residence permit in UK by using surinder sigh route but they have refused to give my parents a residence card in UK as they are not satisfied with the centre of life issue.

Now we have decided to go back to Ireland and stay there for as long as they don't get the nationality in Ireland.

So to go back, will we have any issue because we have spent almost 11 months in UK (from May 16 - April 16)which is purely that we applied for British Residence card and they took that long. Now if we go back will they refuse entry in Ireland to my parents basis on that we have spent 11 months outside and without informing Garda Office.

The reason Garda doesnt know is because before came to UK we went to Garda offic and ask them that we are going to UK for 3 months so do we have to inform you because we are going to come back and change the house. They said come back and then inform us.

But instead of going back in 3 months we used this surinder singh route and apply for residence card which has taken 11 Months, and now its refused so we want to go back and live there for as long as they get nationality or more then that probably.

So please advice me what issue am I facing in this regard, basically in going back.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

This is what I am interested in too. Im British Born and have an Aussie hubby and son. Hubby misses the ancestry visa by 1 generation and saving up the required funds for the spouse visa is impossible. This seems to be our only option, the surinder singh route. That is if it is possible...

On 4/8/2017 at 21:16, Moin Mughal said:

Hi,
As a British citizen I used EU Treaty Rights and call my parents from Pakistan. They have successfully secured 5-Years Dependent Residence permit for a family member of Union Citizen in Dec 15.

We came to UK and applied for residence permit in UK by using surinder sigh route but they have refused to give my parents a residence card in UK as they are not satisfied with the centre of life issue.

Now we have decided to go back to Ireland and stay there for as long as they don't get the nationality in Ireland.

So to go back, will we have any issue because we have spent almost 11 months in UK (from May 16 - April 16)which is purely that we applied for British Residence card and they took that long. Now if we go back will they refuse entry in Ireland to my parents basis on that we have spent 11 months outside and without informing Garda Office.

The reason Garda doesnt know is because before came to UK we went to Garda offic and ask them that we are going to UK for 3 months so do we have to inform you because we are going to come back and change the house. They said come back and then inform us.

But instead of going back in 3 months we used this surinder singh route and apply for residence card which has taken 11 Months, and now its refused so we want to go back and live there for as long as they get nationality or more then that probably.

So please advice me what issue am I facing in this regard, basically in going back.

Thanks

I hope my countrymen (& women) welcome you & your family with open arms.

41 minutes ago, Jenife85 said:

This is what I am interested in too. Im British Born and have an Aussie hubby and son. Hubby misses the ancestry visa by 1 generation and saving up the required funds for the spouse visa is impossible. This seems to be our only option, the surinder singh route. That is if it is possible...

The big risk with this route is that nobody knows how it will play out post Brexit. Have you looked at the spouse visa route based on earnings?

20 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

The big risk with this route is that nobody knows how it will play out post Brexit. Have you looked at the spouse visa route based on earnings?

Is this having a job to go to that earns the certain amount? Considered this too but unsure how to go about finding the work while still in oz? 

1 hour ago, Jenife85 said:

Is this having a job to go to that earns the certain amount? Considered this too but unsure how to go about finding the work while still in oz? 

Yes, you need a job paying £18600 per year. What is your occupation?

• 8 months later...

Archived